Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Wow. There’s a lesson for us all there. My dealer puts the parts in Porsche labelled bags sealed with a sticker that has my name on it. Makes me feel special

The lights look mint now, why so hazy on the inside do you think? Was there any moisture getting in? Did you use any paint or sealant that should have been left to cure before assembly perhaps?
I've no idea, I remember it being like that when I originally fit the projectors, but thought it was on the outside and thought I'd buff it at a later stage, but it was on the inside all along. When I wiped it, it was black on the cloth, so possibly some residue off the halogen bulbs over the 15 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
If you want new consumables (which I normally prefer), Porsche dealership is where I go. They know, it is just a matter of time for you to pick up a higher margin or more expensive item
Always check their online data base for prices. and when I found something I get an 18% discount on it due to my Porsche classic card. Btw, gives you an idea what margins are on spare parts. But afterall I am happy and that is what counts.
PORSCHE is NOT necessarily the greediest fish in the tank.

Your Boxster looks so special, and the "new" lights are really nice.
Thanks for the kind words, hugely appreciate it! I plan to keep it for as long as possible, with some huge updates on the way.

Porsche classic card? Online database for prices? Care to explain? :O

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 AM   #482

Decided to play around with some show plates that I'm getting made for when I take the car to shows. I want to have the same OEM style as a showroom car, so there's two options - a new car style plate, or OEM style pre-owned classic plates.

I've designed the two below:

OEM style 'new car' plate

OEM style 'pre-owned pre-2006' classic plate

Think I may go for the second one.

I may also get a little door rear view mirror hanger designed in the same style as ones they put on customers cars in the showroom, just to state the model number.

Like this:

Could look quite nice at shows!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 02-27-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #483

I made a couple of dozen hang tags for participants in a 4-day National event my non-Porsche car club, they’re a nice touch I think?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:26 AM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
I made a couple of dozen hang tags for participants in a 4-day National event my non-Porsche car club, they’re a nice touch I think?
Absolutely. Need to think of a way to temporarily mount a number plate onto the original one.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #485

Nice work. Car, as always looks great.
I pretty much copied you with the projector lights and DRL's. Touch wood no problem with the projectors yet but it will happen no doubt but I don't do many miles, especially at night.
Have a constant problem with the DRL's fitting. Used hot melt glue to stick and align them on the underside of vent fins but keeps coming detached. Haven't found a way of getting them right using another method and don't want to drill the fins. They don't fall of as there is a tiny cable tie holding them as well but it doesn't help for a firm well aligned fix.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Nice work. Car, as always looks great.
I pretty much copied you with the projector lights and DRL's. Touch wood no problem with the projectors yet but it will happen no doubt but I don't do many miles, especially at night.
Have a constant problem with the DRL's fitting. Used hot melt glue to stick and align them on the underside of vent fins but keeps coming detached. Haven't found a way of getting them right using another method and don't want to drill the fins. They don't fall of as there is a tiny cable tie holding them as well but it doesn't help for a firm well aligned fix.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Thank you On a facelift bumper, put them on top of the top fin so that it squeezes itself into place. Before doing it, run a small line of Tiger Seal on top of the fin towards the back so that when you slide it in, it glues itself. Tiger Seal comes off if heated too so it's all fine.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #487

I spent last night re-doing the radio. I wanted it to look totally OEM Porsche, so I re-did the start up logo (which I'll take a photo of later).****

I also spent an hour designing all new white/grey icons in Photoshop to use for the apps, so they're all consistent. Which is perfect as Porsche's PCM stereo as a grey and orange theme, which is what I've done here.

Before/During:

After:

Also for some reason, Waze disconnects my WiFi as soon as it picks up a GPS signal, and while Google Maps works fine, it takes a while to load and it's not perfect for driving. So I downloaded an android app****called 'Offline Maps' and wow. Incredible sat nav, which you download the UK so that you can use it instantly. Exactly like you should in a car sat nav.

Here's the Offline Maps app:

Devil is in the detail while I wait for time to fix the AOS

Old 03-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #488

I've finished! It works!

I'll post up a video soon, but it's working f*****g beautifully.

In all, I've rooted the head unit and installed a different firmware to allow me much more access into the device to change things you can't normally change, including the boot animation (rather than a static logo, which took A LOT of effort), ringtone, icons, screen saver for idle, and so on.

Before:

After (keeping up with the theme of Porsche's orange and silver PCM interfaces):

And some screenshots:

Here's the startup animation:

Main screen:

Pressing the 'Porsche' icon will launch Torque with a custom theme (still working on it).

Torque 01:

Torque 02:

Torque 03:

When the screen is idle after 5 minutes of no use, the following screen appears. Touching it shows the interface again (great for night driving):

Pressing 'Navigate' launches the amazing 'Offline Maps & Navigation' app, with the UK pre-downloaded, so no internet is ever needed for sat nav guidance:

That's about it! All in all, it's totally transformed the radio. Much more flexible, much more Porsche-like, and all previous bugs have been removed with the new firmware.

This is all while it's been snowing, as I still can't fix my AOS!

Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #489

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post

Great work as usual Ger.

Perhaps it's just the photos, but it looks like there's a big fat blob of hotspot in the foreground of the driver's side, that's completely missing on the passenger's side? Is the perhaps not seated 100%?

Oh My God - total geek-gasm over the work on the head unit! This in particular, well done!

Make a video, offer the head units with your modifications on eBay and ca$h in baby. Worth a thought...

Last edited by Silver'; 03-01-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #490
WALDMEISTER

Garage
awesome job!
I always loved the amber
Old 03-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
Great work as usual Ger.

Perhaps it's just the photos, but it looks like there's a big fat blob of hotspot in the foreground of the driver's side, that's completely missing on the passenger's side? Is the perhaps not seated 100%?

Oh My God - total geek-gasm over the work on the head unit! This in particular, well done!

Make a video, offer the head units with your modifications on eBay and ca$h in baby. Worth a thought...
Nah it's just the photo, it's pretty even to be honest! I'll get a better one when it's static soon with the DSLR

Thanks for the kind words with the head unit. I'd offer it to people but not many people have these in their Porsche's as it requires quite a bit to work to fit. You have to perform some custom wiring to get the speakers to work (just put male ends onto some wires and plug them into the female plug individually) and you need a custom source of power from the fuse box, so it's not plug and play in any shape or form. If anyone did have this though I'd be happy to perform it, but they're worried about the work involved in fitting it.

I can't blame them, but think of what you're getting afterwards - a stunning looking touch screen head unit, with the panel LED's matched perfectly (RGB sliders to change colour), no external branding so it looks OEM, an OEM looking interface, all powered by Android, so it's capable of anything - sat nav, bluetooth, car diagnostics, cameras, etc. All for £200. Ridiculous value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
awesome job!
I always loved the amber
I'll be honest, I've bought all of the LED's, SMD's and soldering kit ready to change all of the interior lights (including the dials, switches, climate control, etc) to white as per the newer ones. I've done it on previous cars and it's not that hard when you know how to solder, but now I'm starting to enjoy the amber. I'm in two minds whether to do it!

Old 03-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #492

Quote:
"You have to perform some custom wiring to get the speakers to work ... and you need a custom source of power from the fuse box "
I've had 2 android head units so far and didn't need to do any of that. Maybe because I have an old Box without MOST? But the speaker and power/acc etc wires are all there already, just snipped the old connector off, crimped the wires onto a couple of standard ISO10487 audio/power plugs and plugged them into the new unit.

Old unit was a 2 year old Joying, new one is an octacore Xtrons with Oreo and it's a beast! Google Maps works fine, as does Assistant, can say 'Hey google, navigate home' and it fires up maps and starts reading out directions! Even has picture in picture so the map hovers over the radio or whatever.

Be interested in your custom Torque skin if you're sharing it when it's done?
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 AM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
I've had 2 android head units so far and didn't need to do any of that. Maybe because I have an old Box without MOST? But the speaker and power/acc etc wires are all there already, just snipped the old connector off, crimped the wires onto a couple of standard ISO10487 audio/power plugs and plugged them into the new unit.

Old unit was a 2 year old Joying, new one is an octacore Xtrons with Oreo and it's a beast! Google Maps works fine, as does Assistant, can say 'Hey google, navigate home' and it fires up maps and starts reading out directions! Even has picture in picture so the map hovers over the radio or whatever.

Be interested in your custom Torque skin if you're sharing it when it's done?
Of course, I'll upload all of my Torque dashboard/skin as soon as I'm done fiddling with it!

Yeah mine has the MOST setup so it needed quite a bit of bodging I was going to flash it and put Android 7 on it (and am still thinking of it) but the UI would totally change, and I'm not sure I want to have a different one as I really, really like this one.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #494

I’VE DONE IT!

I’ve managed to edit the Kernel and flash a custom start image, rather than the android one! I’m not talking about the boot animation, I mean the ugly ‘Android Lollipop’ image before the animation that you’re not supposed to change.

Lots of work, including literally re-writing numbers in the kernel and using a terminal on the device, as you can see:

Looks complicated, it absolutely was. But the result is this:

https://youtu.be/97NJs7Sxi08

Looks almost exactly the same as the boot of the 991’s radio’s.

I’ve also finished my Torque theme, for anyone who wants it:

And finally, it’s installed into the dash:

It’s brilliant. The screen saver where it just displays the amber ‘Porsche’ logo is really nice on they eyes in the night. I’m going to add a reverse camera and DAB soon (both of which the radio is capable off out of the box). I’m struggling to think of what this radio isn’t capable of now for the money it’s outstanding.

So that’s it in terms of the radio! I still haven’t had chance to fix the AOS or subframe, it’s just been far too cold, snowy or rainy. I wish I had a garage…

But yeah, if anyone wants the Torque theme, feel free to message me!

Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #495

Can I just buy your car? Outstanding in every way.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Can I just buy your car? Outstanding in every way.
Well, if you were in the UK, then still no. Ha! But thank you for the kind words.

Guys, I've got all of the LED's and equipment to perform a whole amber to white conversion in the cabin (gauges, switches, etc). I've done it to previous cars, and am thinking of doing it to this one too as it would match the newer models, as they're all white. Here's what it would look like (quick photoshop):

Thoughts?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #497

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Well, if you were in the UK, then still no. Ha! But thank you for the kind words.

Guys, I've got all of the LED's and equipment to perform a whole amber to white conversion in the cabin (gauges, switches, etc). I've done it to previous cars, and am thinking of doing it to this one too as it would match the newer models, as they're all white. Here's what it would look like (quick photoshop):

Thoughts?
I'm torn, but given the modernising approach that you've taken all over the car, I'd say that this change would be in harmony with that general approach.

Perhaps I'm hesitant as my Porsche is the only Euro car that I've had and the orange colour theme I associate with Euro cars and their premium image.
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
I'm torn, but given the modernising approach that you've taken all over the car, I'd say that this change would be in harmony with that general approach.

Perhaps I'm hesitant as my Porsche is the only Euro car that I've had and the orange colour theme I associate with Euro cars and their premium image.
Totally understand with your side of the argument, I wouldn't want to change it either if that was the fact!

I think I'll end up doing it, it would modernise it to no extent. Given all of the changes after I do it, it'll be hard to see that I bought the car for just £7,500 (about $10,000).

Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #499

Currently looking into creating my own red gauge faces too. It's easy enough if you have the time.

DIY gauges consist of 3 layers. The front layer is the coloured face, printed on transparent overhead projector film. The middle layer is extremely thin white diffused plastic that you can find on paper folders. The rear layer is another version of the face on transparent overhead projector film, but this time totally black aside from the areas that you'd want light to escape from. Very cheap to do, and obvious gains from doing it.

I'd be designing with the non-italic numbers (which are actually the front 'DDT'). Saves buying them from Porsche for around £300, when I can do it myself for around £20.
Will probably do it the same time as the LED's I'd imagine. I'd try it with mine first, and if it goes well, I'd be happy to design and supply to others.

Spent some time today re-creating the dials from scratch in Illustrator, so they're vector based.

They're not accurate until I get scans of my actual faces, but I can tweak them to fit when I do.

Ones I've made so far:

GTS 01 (my favourite):

GTS 02

GTS 03

Boxster S

GT4

Just need to take apart my gauges, scan the faces, re-create them accurately and do a test print to ensure they're correct, then print and create them!

I think this with the LED overhaul in the interior would make such a difference.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #500
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Yup, do the conversion and switch the gauge faces to GTS01
+1
But remember, Orange on Red is difficult to see.

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche