Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I live next door in Alabama, I must make a pilgrimage one day and see this fire breathing beast
Thank you sir Visits are always welcomed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayley View Post
I would greatly appreciate any pictures you have of the serpentine belt routing.
HAHAHA so I just find this a bit funny and wonder why I'm not getting checks from Renegade yet

I posed this same question to Steve @ Renegade when I was starting out and this is his response...

"We’re going to work on taking better pictures of how the alternator and a/c compressor mount. It’s a tough area to show. If you can’t figure it out let me know and we’ll work it out.

Thanks,

Steve"

Hrm, could have been more helpful but whatever~

So if you are running the alternator and AC compressor it is pretty easy. A/C compressor on passenger side, alternator on drivers side, belt goes around all pulleys and under the roller tensioner.

Also FYI for those who are keeping tabs, the tensioning system allows for about 5mm of tensioning so your belt better be a pretty good fit... The belt I found that fit so far is a 6pk-1320, not uber tight but I think it will do... hopefully we will find out soon enough.

I'll make a quick video or take more pics today for you.
Take care,
J

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #242

Garage
Wow, just a quick comment: great, great thread. Thanks very much for documenting everything, and doing it so well. Kudos!!!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #243

Oh lord lol you do need to get paid by them. He gave me a belt number and it was like 8 inches, long when I got it in the mail =\. After that, I was just like, "Oh well, I won't even bother asking anymore I just hop on to the forum!" You're the best man!
18x9 Front 18x11 Rear Wheels
Twin-Turbo LSx Boxster :troll:
Lcrivers816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #244

Garage
Yes, you do need to get paid, or better yet, you need to put your own "kit" together with labeled parts and instructions! I always had it in the back of my mind, that if my engine blew, this "kit" would be a possibility. I mean, it's a "kit" right? Everything would be there with instructions and help would be a phone call or email away, right? Well, after watching what you and the others are going through, it is probably not a viable alternative for me. But I love watching your progress, keep up the great work!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #245

Renegade instuctions!

Your my Renegade Instruction Manual thanks.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Wow, just a quick comment: great, great thread. Thanks very much for documenting everything, and doing it so well. Kudos!!!
Thank you! I'm doing my best here but I'm sure I have left a bunch of little things out so feel free to ask any questions you may have and i'll do my best to answer ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcrivers816 View Post
Oh lord lol you do need to get paid by them. He gave me a belt number and it was like 8 inches, long when I got it in the mail =\. After that, I was just like, "Oh well, I won't even bother asking anymore I just hop on to the forum!" You're the best man!
Well hopefully this all works out and maybe I can start to get paid for doing all this work somehow! Yeah luckily since I'm doing this at the shop we have a bunch of different size belt on the wall so I just got the closest one we had then had to order 2 or 3 from Pep Boys before I got one that seems good. Are you running an A/C compressor? If not I can see why they gave you a bad number although 8 more inches probably wouldn't make it around the A/C compressor :/ I have learned much self reliance in this project due to poor responses so glad I can help!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Yes, you do need to get paid, or better yet, you need to put your own "kit" together with labeled parts and instructions! I always had it in the back of my mind, that if my engine blew, this "kit" would be a possibility. I mean, it's a "kit" right? Everything would be there with instructions and help would be a phone call or email away, right? Well, after watching what you and the others are going through, it is probably not a viable alternative for me. But I love watching your progress, keep up the great work!
Thanks Bruce,
Yeah well lets just say that the wheels have really been turning lately and have already been talking to 3-4 people about doing installs for them and the possibility of making my own mounting system. The only problem that I see in making it a more "turn-key" project is the cost factor which is likely why Renegade sells what I would call a bare bones kit... it gets that basics done but that's about it.

Let's be honest, I could totally rip them apart on here but I try not to be that type of person, you know, karma and all But I'll just say that for the $7000 I spent on their complete kit with every option leaves much to be desired and I'm CERTAIN it can be done better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Your my Renegade Instruction Manual thanks.
Anytime!
Thanks!
J
Old 06-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #247

Good evening,

Another quick update for ya.
Thanks
J

https://youtu.be/B6OeZ5fI6Do
Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #248
Registered Abuser

Garage
Thank you!
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #249

You should definitely sell me a set of coolant lines =D haha
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #250

Quote:
You should definitely sell me a set of coolant lines =D haha
You know I'm getting pretty tempted to start making parts like this for everyone, let me make sure I get mine going first, then we'll talk

Unfortunately haven't had any time to play with the car yet this week, not to mention it is getting hot as crap so I'm not moving fast right now

Got a new expansion tank coming in tomorrow which should help me knock out the rest of the cooling system. Need to get a fuel pressure regulator and hook it up, then a few more wires (of course it's the hard ones, geez!!), but we may be ready to spin this thing over here real soon!

Thanks!
J
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #251

Sounds good!!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #252

Tomorrow is the day.

Good evening everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but that is about to change!! Well the biggest reason for that is we are almost done!!

Been mostly crossing "T's" and dotting "i's" here lately which as it turns out takes a helluva lot of ink on a project this big

Made some big steps today and the cooling system is now full of coolant with only a minor leak @ the Renegade supplied plastic fitting on the water manifold, hrm, go figure. Steering system fitting are now tightened up and holding fluid. Most of the wiring integration was sorted out today, just need to get it running and test a few wires for the tach signal from the LS3. There will be more wires to hook up mostly because I want the car to function and act as much like a stock car as possible, low voltage light on dash etc. but for now all the major ones are done and integrated into the car properly in the trunk area.

So barring any major catastrophes overnight, TOMORROW IS THE DAY!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I'm nervous as hell. I can't wait :dance:

Will have video updates tomorrow evening!
Thanks
J
Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #253

Garage
I hope it runs like a Beast!
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #254

Good Luck

Good Luck,will you be showing all the wiring done to run the beast?
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #255

WHOOOOOOOO!!! It's gonna be a beast!! :troll:
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #256
Reebuck1

Garage
motor

Can't wait to see and hear it!!!
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I hope it runs like a Beast!
Me too!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Good Luck,will you be showing all the wiring done to run the beast?
Thank you thank you - yeah I can go over most of it once I figure it all out myself You should definitely get a copy of the Porsche manual with wiring diagrams, couldn't do it with out them!

Quote:
WHOOOOOOOO!!! It's gonna be a beast!! :troll:
Go that right!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Can't wait to see and hear it!!!
You an me both!

QUICK MIDDAY UPDATE!

We have been running through a few small issues - although finally did an initial test fire and SHE RUNS!! She make a ********************LOAD OF NOISE - but she runs!

Seems that one of my worries is causing a problem - not enough space between the recommended starter motor and the flywheel. Love it when recommended ******************** doesn't work :/

She will be running again in a few minutes - hopefully with much less noise
Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #258

Good evening everyone,

Well we are oh so close but just couldn't muster up the energy to get it all sorted out today~ Oh and apologies in advance for todays videos - thankfully I'm better at putting cars together then I am at making videos

Quick video with no interesting content - had to do it - http://youtu.be/LOw9n05dcRM

So as I noted in my previous quickie post, she did start today, but only briefly (as you will see in the videos). I totally expected it to make noise when I first attempted to start it, just wasn't sure it would be so many!!!

START ATTEMPT #1 - http://youtu.be/dtGP1kU0XHY

Sooo as you can see - horrible noises

Initial priming of the motor without the fuel/spark hooked up I could definitely tell that the starter was going to be an issue as you could hear it hitting and hard stopping. I actually knew this as I was putting it in but was hoping for the best, just not enough clearance between the starter gear and the flywheel... So much for buying all of the recommended parts
So a bit of shimming trickery and BANG, starter fixed. Time for attempt #2!

START ATTEMPT #2 - http://youtu.be/5421ddVaoQw

Sooo as you can see - more horrible noises - DOH!

So we sorted out the horrible starter noise issue only to find more horrible noises! This time it is the belts... I knew they were not entirely inline but the Renegade brackets give you precisely dick for adjustment so modifications need to be made to get everything to line up properly. As much as I wanted to I just ran out of steam for the day and couldn't get it sorted out.

In the immortal voice of Yoda - Close we are. Rush it, we will not.

Tomorrow we start fresh!!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #259

Thanks renegade. I'm salty for you brother.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #260

Wanna hear the beast roar! - not squeak.

Fingers crossed. You'll solve it!

Regards from Germany
Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote