Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

My Journey to Obtaining a Porsche Boxster - New Owner

I was planning on making this post after I had done a semi-professional photoshoot with the car on a nice mountain road... but here goes.

It was three years ago when I saw my first Porsche, and ever since then I’ve been completely infatuated with these German marvels. The one I saw was a Porsche Boxster 986, white exterior, on a grey interior, and a black soft-top to top it off (No pun intended). I hadn’t been much of a car guy growing up, so I did not know what it was, and where I live it’s very rare that you come across one - all I knew was that I was in love with this car.

Needless to say, when I got home I immediately went to the computer and started searching, trying to find out what the beautiful car was. I was just throwing words into the Google Search Engine that described the car and going through every link it spat out at me… I found it - it was a Porsche! From that moment on, I knew that I had to own one! It didn’t matter what model because all of them were beautiful and had that distinct “Porsche Look”.

I was only about 14 at the time - I used my passion with technology to start earning some income… I started by “Jailbreaking” my family’s and friend’s iPods and iPhones which later led to fixing computers for them. Word of mouth got out and before I knew it, people were now calling me to do work for them! I kept on learning and experimenting with different technology. In the beginning it was just repair, but I knew what I truly wanted to do was create something. That is when I began learning the ins and outs of programming.

Fast-forwarding to the present: I am now 17 years old, work full-time developing web sites as well as applications for the iOS and Mac OSX platforms and officially the proud owner of a Porsche… Not just any Porsche, but a Porsche Boxster 986, white exterior, on a grey Interior, and a black soft-top (Yes, the exact model and color combination of the very first Porsche I had ever seen).

The car was in Dripping Springs, Tx 581 miles away from where I lived. My dad and I drove down to see the car and after inspecting it with the little mechanical knowledge I had - I knew this was the one. Right then and there I said “I’ll take it!”. Well, I soon find out that the seller had only owned the car for a week because he bought it for his wife who didn’t want it because it was a manual. It was because of this fact, he hadn’t registered the car as it would cost around $600 to do so and so although the car was in fact his, it wasn’t “legally” his. He didn’t legally own the title to the car therefore it could not be transferred over to me (well - my dad, as I’m not 18 yet). So there I was empty handed after making the 8 hour and 581 mile journey…

I ended up still agreeing to purchase the car, which meant waiting a couple weeks (or so I thought) for him to register the vehicle and finding time to make the journey up to finalize the paper work and bring my baby home. Well, to make matters worse, he needed the previous sellers signature - who had moved and was now residing in California! It ended up taking about a week for him to get back in touch with the guy and get his signature to submit his paperwork to the DMV. From then on it was a waiting game until he received the title from the DMV. This whole ordeal took 3 and half weeks, believe me when I say that it felt like months…

Finally, I find myself back in Dripping Springs to make the purchase. Everything was going smoothly until I did some last minute checks and noticed that the radio and brake lights were not working. In my head I was just thinking “You’ve got to be kidding me?!”. Thank God I had been obsessing over these cars for 3 years and I knew the ins and outs… I stuck my head under the dash and re-seated the brake light switch and viola the brake lights were working perfectly. 1 down, 1 to go! I had remembered that for some reason, Porsche requires a security code for the radio. I popped open the little leather manual holder and found the Porsche Radio Security Code Card, followed the steps, and viola! With everything now working perfectly we did all the paperwork and parted ways.

During the drive to San Marcos, Tx - a city nearby Dripping Springs a warning light came on the dash. It was the “coolant level light”. As soon as I arrived at my brother’s and sister’s apartment in San Marcos (where I would be staying for couple days before my journey back home to El Paso, Tx) I popped the rear trunk open and check the coolant reservoir… There was no coolant visible! I went to a nearby Autozone and bought some coolant to top the car off. Everything was fine for the couple days I was there, it wasn’t until about 70 miles into my journey back home that the light came on again! Once again I popped the trunk and this time I noticed there was condensation on the trunk lid and the trunk carpeting felt damp… Again because of the 3 years I had obsessed over these cars I began thinking “Oh no, it’s the dreaded coolant reservoir leak”.

It was at this time that all options were considered on how to get the car back home, the process took about 3 hours… What ended up happening was I called AAA to tow me back to San Marcos, where I would stay while the car repaired at a shop there. The whole “repaired by a shop” deal was not my idea, my dad made me go that route after consulting with him. I would have done the repairs myself as I was confident I could manage due to my experience repairing computers. Anyway, the diagnosis the shop gave me was that the coolant reservoir cap was faulty and was causing coolant to escape. Now before I go on, let me say that I was completely aware that this could be the cause, and had it been up to me to repair the vehicle that would have been my first move. I accepted what the mechanic said, and then he told me price for the “repair” $250… Again “You’ve got to be kidding me?!”. The coolant cap itself is only $25… Whatever, I picked up my car and it was running perfectly so I was happy.

I began my journey back home and about one hundred miles in the light came back on. Being completely fed up and extremely reckless I went to the nearest Autozone and bought a copious amount of coolant and set forth once more on my journey. If ever the light came on, I would top the system off with some coolant and continue on. It was a terrible idea and had I been in a normal state of mind I would have never done… Yet, miraculously my car made it 581 miles back home.

Now this probably could have all been avoided if I had not trusted the seller and gotten a PPI… but strangely, I wouldn’t have wanted it to happen any other way… It is because of all these ordeals that I feel I have bonded with my car and despite everything I absolutely love it. It is my first car, and my first Porsche - that in it’s own right makes it very special to me. It’s true when they say there is no substitute to a Porsche. I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase!

UPDATE:
03/14/2020

In the past on this post I had made some claims about the previous owner being an idiot for a loose hose that caused the issue because I thought I had "fixed" the issue with a new hose and some clamps. However it is I who am the idiot - it did end up being a faulty coolant reservoir and the hose I had "fixed" actually turned out supposed to be as I found it from the factory and required no "fixing". I do still still feel the mechanics did not do their job because they should have pressure tested the system and would have easily seen the reservoir was faulty. At the end of the day I should have gotten a PPI which would have increased my chances at detecting this small issue. It really was just a small issue - at the time I was just real bothered because I was a young and not as mature as I thought and had been waiting a long time for the car and It set me back from being able to just go out and drive with no worries.

Over the years I've been very fortunate, the coolant reservoir has literally been the only issue with the car that was not caused by myself (maybe I'll tell that story another time hahaha).

Craig B, if you are out there sorry for any harsh words you may have seen. I've grown up and It's been a dream owning this machine!

Anyway, Happy Boxstering my friends!

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  162.4 KB

Last edited by Reddy Head; 03-14-2020 at 06:56 PM. Reason: cleanup
Reddy Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Great story

You dodged a bullet.

You may have some recourse with the "mechanic" you went to. IIRC if the shop was AAA approved, I think that AAA has some sort of guarantee on the quality of work.. Check with AAA to find out

You should still get a PPI, just now it will be a Post Purchase Inspection.

Also be very wary of big red pickups, they like to kiss Boxsters in school parking lots

Enjoy you new car and be safe
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 07-22-2014 at 06:25 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Gone

Garage
A loose connection to the overflow tank may not turn up in a PPI- just something to consider.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do a PPI- you SHOULD if possible. But they will not always discover every possible item, and a hose could come loose 5 minutes after you left the PPI! Buy old cars- fix old cars.

And thanks for the story- best of luck.

Last edited by Davev; 07-22-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Nice write up buddy. Read it all
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Now let's hope you also did the research to learn that the Boxster requires very special coolant, and if you don't get that right it mixes with the other coolant and turns into goo!

I too bought my boxster without a PPI and 2 years and $15,000 later, it was in good running order. Hope this doesn't happen to you... everything wears out faster than "normal" on these cars, especially suspension bushings and wheel bearings, etc.

Ask for a set of metric wrenches for Christmas this year. Get the big set from Craftsman. You'll be glad you did when you start doing your own maintenance and non-motor repairs yourself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Great story

You dodged a bullet.

You may have some recourse with the "mechanic" you went to. IIRC if the shop was AAA approved, I think that AAA has some sort of guarantee on the quality of work.. Check with AAA to find out
It might be something I'll look into. Honestly after putting my story out there I feel a whole lot better, I just needed to vent somehow. I'm completely happy now, and I don't want to re-visit that chapter again - and it will probably be stressful communicating with AAA and the shop as I am now in a different city.

Quote:
Also be very wary of big red pickups, they like to kiss Boxsters in school parking lots

Enjoy you new car and be safe
Yes, that is the thing I am nervous about.

I'll just have to park towards the back of the parking lot and trust that people are good and won't leave "surprises" for me.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Now let's hope you also did the research to learn that the Boxster requires very special coolant, and if you don't get that right it mixes with the other coolant and turns into goo!

I too bought my boxster without a PPI and 2 years and $15,000 later, it was in good running order. Hope this doesn't happen to you... everything wears out faster than "normal" on these cars, especially suspension bushings and wheel bearings, etc.

Ask for a set of metric wrenches for Christmas this year. Get the big set from Craftsman. You'll be glad you did when you start doing your own maintenance and non-motor repairs yourself.
The coolant buying process took about 2 hours because I was researching, cross referencing this forum, rennlist, planet-9, and other material I could get my hands on!

It's been about a week thus far, and no jelly is visible... I will be doing a complete coolant flush soon and replacing it with the new Porsche blend. It might not be necessary but I'm a perfectionist type of guy, so just knowing I have different coolant of the same type still bugs me.

I'm glad to hear yours is fine now. I hope that is not the case with my vehicle but if it comes down to it, I'm willing to stick with it through the hard times and keep her on the road.

Maybe i'm just coming up with an excuse for the headaches she's given me, but I like to think that I saved her from a neglecting owner - these vehicles deserve to be babied, they are works of art in my eyes.

Those tools will definitely be be on my Christmas and Birthday wish-list's!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
Buy old cars- fix old cars.
Hahahaha, I like that - fixing an old car I shall be doing!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Nice write up buddy. Read it all
Thank you.

I'll be trying to get some of your famous CGT Headlights on this baby as soon as possible!(If they are still available)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #10

Reddy Head......You da man! I was 17 when I first drove a Porsche (an early 70's 911 Targa). I Knew that I would one day own a Porsche.....unfortunately, it took me about 24 years longer than you to make it happen. Great to hear that you did it with your own money rather than the "Bank of Dad". You clearly have a work ethic that will take you a long way in life. I suspect that there will be more Porsches in your future. Watch out for those El Paso dust storms! Got caught in one of those a few years ago....crazy stuff that we don't get up here in Michigan! Congrats....and welcome to the club!
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy Head View Post
It might be something I'll look into. Honestly after putting my story out there I feel a whole lot better, I just needed to vent somehow. I'm completely happy now, and I don't want to re-visit that chapter again - and it will probably be stressful communicating with AAA and the shop as I am now in a different city.

Congratulations on acheiving your goal. You should have just added distilled/filtered water to the coolant, in El Paso the only thing you need from antifreeze is the anti- corrosion & lubricating additives.

I'll just have to park towards the back of the parking lot and trust that people are good and won't leave "surprises" for me.
Boxster will attract lot's of attention in El Paso. I've been there many times & never saw a Porsche.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #12

You can use green coolant as it was in my boxster for about 10 years with no problems. Just don't mix the different coolant types. Since you need to flush, just replace with the pink stuff.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorm3 View Post
Reddy Head......You da man! I was 17 when I first drove a Porsche (an early 70's 911 Targa). I Knew that I would one day own a Porsche.....unfortunately, it took me about 24 years longer than you to make it happen. Great to hear that you did it with your own money rather than the "Bank of Dad". You clearly have a work ethic that will take you a long way in life. I suspect that there will be more Porsches in your future. Watch out for those El Paso dust storms! Got caught in one of those a few years ago....crazy stuff that we don't get up here in Michigan! Congrats....and welcome to the club!
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!

Unfortunately, I haven't had the privilege of driving one of the legendary air-cooled Porsches - I've just admired from a distance. Who know's that might be my next goal to achieve!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #14

Great story. Great work ethic. Great dad for being there for you.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Great looking car. What a wonderful story! Yeah, you can never predict what a previous owner might or might not do!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #16

Garage
My Journey to Obtaining a Porsche Boxster - New Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy Head View Post

Nice read redhead! Coming from one of the other high school commuters with one of these machines, corner spots are your friend, wait for all the traffic to leave out before you. And surprises do happen for sure.

(P.s. I try to be a respectful guy, but I will share an observation that one of my idiot friends made,. Whenever any young gal bends over to look in the car it's the perfect angle for her top to stop covering her body.)

Last edited by BIGJake111; 01-11-2015 at 05:43 AM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #17

Garage
Welcome, and the best of luck. Bill