Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

wash & shine

finally got around to washing the car. probably the cleanest it will be all year. ready for the drive to dallas. not too bad for a 10 year-old car. some bugs seem to be "embedded" into the front bumper and parts of the hood.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looks really nice! I'm amazed how well you and others are able to keep black looking so great.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Very good looking Tony. Let me ask you and others something, do you have any 'orange peel' on the sides specifically the doors? Seems like my car has almost a pebble finish on the doors and to lesser extent elsewhere. I assume that the paint dries different on the vertical surface as opposed to the top of the hood, deck and fender tops. I have solved some of the worse with wet sandpaper then an orbital buff with 3M rubbing compound. So I wonder if this peel is more or less standard on all Boxes???

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Very good looking Tony. Let me ask you and others something, do you have any 'orange peel' on the sides specifically the doors? Seems like my car has almost a pebble finish on the doors and to lesser extent elsewhere. I assume that the paint dries different on the vertical surface as opposed to the top of the hood, deck and fender tops. I have solved some of the worse with wet sandpaper then an orbital buff with 3M rubbing compound. So I wonder if this peel is more or less standard on all Boxes???

AKL
That's more or less standard on all factory finishes. Wet sanding and polishing the color coat before clear and then the clear itself is required step to remove orange peel and it's never done by the factory.

Check out my post in this thread:

Advice on Paint desire better than new

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-24-2011 at 02:58 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

Hi Tony,

I have been looking for a gold Boxster emblem and I see you have one on your trunk. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombea
I have been looking for a gold Boxster emblem and I see you have one on your trunk. Where did you get it?
if you mean the porsche crest on the front lid, they're everywhere. suncoast sells them for $75 or $135, depending on the style.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/crestemblem.html?Category_Code=986logos

if you mean the words "Boxster" on the rear lid, it's actually silver. i guess it looks gold because of the sunlight.

either way, both came on the car as-is. i'd like to remove the model name on the rear, but i'm afraid after 10 years it would be noticible...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombea
Hi Tony,

Thanks,
Tom
You can get any color and even chrome from Bumperplugs.com, I've been in Eric's office and he had bunches of them. Not sure of the price, his stuff isn't cheap but the quality is excellent.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote