Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

pics after HR springs

Well it is finished. 2002 Boxster S: H&R street springs, 030 Struts, 7mm Spacers, TRG rear toe arms.

I measured the new height for anyone that is interested (see pics). Also FYI for anyone doing this modification, TRG rear toe arms are a must to bring back the OEM specs. Toe is severely affected by the new height and I tried another rear toe arm brand and it did not fit. (hit the rear hub).

Cost:
HR Springs 279
Toe arms 425
Alignment 200
Spacers 49

DIY time, 2 days (@ 7 hours) to do the springs and toe arm in my garage.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #2

Love those wheels man. The car looks really ********************in' lowered like that and with the rear wing, painted bumperettes, clear lights, etc. GREAT job!!!

Good info too on the rear toe arms. I'm definitely looking at going that route in the future. With those toe arms what kind of camber are you running in the rear? Are you more positive than -1.5? I think -1.5 was the best my alignment shop could get it with the stock toe arms.

I know you're trying to be politically correct in all by not mentioning the name of the toe arm brand that did not fit, but it would be a HUGE help if you'd give more detail on that! I wouldn't want to buy the same brand if it's not going to work. Personally, I've been looking at the Tarett adjustable toe arms:

http://www.tarett.com/items/boxster~cayman-products/996-986-987-rear-t-control-arm-wbmp-detail.htm

Any pics of the TRG units installed?

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

Thanks,
I dont know if the tarret would fit. The issue with my car and the arm that did not fit was the tie rod end joint. The body of that joint was too beefy. Too fat and it hit my hub and my rims (even with the 7mm spacers).
this is a picture of the TRG

http://www.theracersgroup.com/shop/trgracing.php

As for the Tarret vs TRG. The tarrent looks similar but not as beefy at this end. However it may be fine.
The TRG is a clone/copy of the Porsche GT3 motorsports rear toe arms. From my understanding it is a GT3 front tie rod end linked to a custom threaded rod.
The car was taken to the dealer here in Austin and they set the camber and toe back to OEM spec for a 030 setup. I dont know what the numbers are, but it is stock. That was a big deal for me, as I eat tires as it is and did not want it to get any worse.

The spring install is not that bad, just requires time and tools. Nothing really hard about it.

The car now is much tighter than stock. Sudden turns do not dip the nose and the car seems much more level when going fast around curves. Ride comfort has not changed from what I can tell.
The next mod is a light flywheel and clutch.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #4

Tarett offers two kinds of toe arms. The one I had given a link to was their cheaper one with a heim joint/rod end. They make one with a ball joint like TRG. In fact, looking at the pictures they look EXACTLY the same to me...

TRG Adjustable Rear Toe Arm

Tarett Adjustable Rear Toe Arm

The TRG's are $495 while the Tarett are $450, both MSRP. I'd shop around to see if there were any deals and just go with what's cheapest. If you get a chance - post some pictures of the bars installed on your car!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

H&R Spring Drop w/19" HREs

H&R Spring Drop W/19" HREs
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
mts

what kind of rear spoiler is on your 2002 S and where did you get it?
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #7

jrdiesel01 and jhandy,
I think your cars look great with the H&R springs, that drop is perfect!!! I have a question: When going full speed on say the highway, and you hit a big dip, does your car scrape? And by scrape I mean does the body of the car bump the top of the wheels/tires? My previous car was lowered on eibach springs(which looked great) but at freeway speed when I hit large dips in the road my car would scrape the top of the tires. I want to lower my boxster, but dealing with the scrape effect is keeping me from doing it.
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #8

No scraping noticed yet. They only issue i have is pulling into my garage. I have a small raise and the plastic fins on the bottom of the bumper scrape. Not a big deal at all.

The fin is an ebay special for @125 or so. works nice, I advise red locktite on the screws because they tend to loosen with time.

The only major issue was the tie rod ends on the rear. Remember to add a few $$$ when doing this mod. You cant get away without it. I tried and my camber was so off that the wheels would wear out on the inside. Aside from that, with the camber off, the grip was poor.

James
Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
very nice man,
now get rid of that orange in your tail lights

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote