Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

View Poll Results: What's Your Thoughts?
Like it 96 100.00%
Hate it 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #1

Smile Recent Install - DVD Navigation

I recently installed the Avic D3 Navigation with rear view camera in my 2000 Boxster. Still have a few interior upgrades to do but the navigation system install was a success and really made the interior look phenomenal and updated.

What was needed for the job:

T20 Torx Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
A dremel with cutting wheel
A file to sand down rough edges
Electrical tape & Wiring Caps
Wire Stripper

Double Din Kit Includes:

Precision cut fascia (trim) piece in Piano Finish to match Pioneer System
Double Din Housing & Brackets
Double Din Custom Support Bracket for Porsche
Heat Shield, Complete Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapter & Radio Removal Keys

Some of the things I really like about my new system is that I know that the install is solid. One of the challenges I noticed other folks had was the weight of the system, and so they elected to have it sit low as possible on the dash. Using the custom support bracket to support the back end of the navigation, and also choosing to mount the double din housing as high up as possible, I was able to keep most of the gap below the system as oppose to the top. And to make sure my stereo stays relatively unaffected by the heat from the climate duct system, I installed a heat shield between the duct and navigation.

The other challenge was that most standard double din navigation systems are a lot smaller than the size of my boxster's opening, so regardless of what I install it was going to make the system appear smaller. Didn't like that look too much, so instead of trying to match up the fascia piece to my car, I went with the piano black fascia piece instead to match it up to the Pioneer system. I think going this route made the fascia piece look like its part of the stereo which gives the illusion that the system is a bit bigger.

Anyways, I posted some of the pics below for everyone to check out!

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #2

I think you did a great job. The look of the trim is perfect. How did you get the Porsche crst image on the screen? I like that you added PORSCHE to the bottom of the trim. Makes for a more stock look too. Oh yeah....how much for everything?
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
That looks really good. I like your faceplate.

I installed an AVIC-D3 in my '02 BoxS last April. I ended up putting it low in the dash because of the weight.

I have a few questions for you:

How did you make the custom brackets?

What exactly did you use to make your faceplate? I must say it looks much better than mine. I used stretched black vinyl over fiberboard.

Did you install the BT and iPod adapters? I did and the Avic works great with an iPhone.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg

Last edited by Chills; 03-18-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Thats very impressive.

Do the Lights on the Avic D3 match the OEM dash lights? It looks like the D3 is Orange in your pictures just like the Porsche lights. How did you get that?
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

Very nice install. I have a few questions as well since I am putting in a D3 soon too.

I also want to know where you got the double din install kit. Was this made by yourself if yes, any DIY tips?

Did you take any pictures during the install? Any references or links that I can refer to in order to take apart my dash and also to relocate the climate controls to the bottom?

Thanks

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #6

Avic Light Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Thats very impressive.

Do the Lights on the Avic D3 match the OEM dash lights? It looks like the D3 is Orange in your pictures just like the Porsche lights. How did you get that?
Yes you can get your Avic to match any color you want as you can adjust the RGB settings separately to get custom colors. But no, my colors don't currently match, I just kinda was messing around with the settings. Planning on installing blue leds in my instrument gauges and then I will switch my Avic to match.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

Looks great, the piano black and the Porsche logo finish it off.

The loo on the screen is a nice touch also.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
That looks really good. I like your faceplate.

I installed an AVIC-D3 in my '02 BoxS last April. I ended up putting it low in the dash because of the weight.

I have a few questions for you:

How did you make the custom brackets?

What exactly did you use to make your faceplate? I must say it looks much better than mine. I used stretched black vinyl over fiberboard.

Did you install the BT and iPod adapters? I did and the Avic works great with an iPhone.
I did install the Ipod cable and have it routed to the lower storage compartment. Drilled a whole in the back of the storage unit and then slotted out a small circle to pull the cable through. As for the BT adapter, maybe down the road. I am leaning towards it though considering thats another upgrade that will add some modern amenities to the car.

In reference to the support bracket, I had it engineered based on existing mounting points on the boxster. My goal was to make sure the brackets fit tightly with the least amount of modification to the car as possible and that it would provide firm support for the back of the navigation system. The double din housing is strong enough to hold your navi upright if its not stressed but is limited in support especially over time, so the support bracket really helps keep the system from eventually sagging and loosening.

The faceplate is 3/16 thick plastic. But I had it designed to fit very snug to the system and the dash. It's a very tight fit once pushed in place, you would need to remove the left or right side covers to pull the fascia out once it is in.

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-18-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
I did install the Ipod cable and have it routed to the lower storage compartment. Drilled a whole in the back of the storage unit and then slotted out a small circle to pull the cable through. As for the BT adapter, maybe down the road. I am leaning towards it though considering thats another upgrade that will add some modern amenities to the car.

In reference to the support bracket, I had it engineered based on existing mounting points on the boxster. My goal was to make sure the brackets fit tightly with the least amount of modification to the car as possible and that it would provide firm support for the back of the navigation system. The double din housing is strong enough to hold your navi upright if its not stressed but is limited in support especially over time, so the support bracket really helps keep the system from eventually sagging and loosening.

The faceplate is 3/16 thick plastic. But I had it designed to fit very snug to the system and the dash. It's a very tight fit once pushed in place, you would need to remove the left or right side covers to pull the fascia out once it is in.

I put my iPod cable in the same spot, but I didn't drill a hole. The cable actually fits between the lid and the compartment under the hinge.

My whole thing with the install is I wanted to be able to put it back to stock when I sold the car.

Did you design the support brackets yourself? I'm very impressed. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the brackets, would you? I made some crude brackets to keep my AVIC in place while sitting on the bottom plate in the dash. I would like the unit to sit centered like yours is.

Again, you did a great job. The best AVIC install I've seen.

BTW, you don't happen to have the reverse cam, do you? My unit came with one and while I've installed it I haven't mounted it anywhere. I can't find a decent place to mount it in the rear of the car.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #10

Well Chills, I must admit that after seeing you do yours, it encouraged me to do mine with a lot of help of course. This forum is great, I learned a bunch since joining.

The custom support bracket that the AVIC sits on was drafted & engineered to fit Porsche. We programmed the layout and ran it on a CNC machine using 18 gauge steel. It turned out awesome, pin point accuracy! We did however place a strip of fuzzy side of velcro on the bracket just like the stock bracket for anti-rattle or knocking. The custom support bracket and the fascia or faceplate will work for Pioneer AVIC-Z2, AVIC-Z1, AVH-P6800DVD and FH-P4200MP as well. My brother who helped me, documented the entire installation with photos & commentaries. He actually ran a production of 100 of these brackets knowing that people would need it for an install of pretty much any 2-din. Hope I answered your question.

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-20-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #11

Trieullionaire - How much is your brother charging for his bracket? I would love to pick one or two up.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #12

Don't know, I'll ask him tonight when I get off work.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #13

Awesome thannks!

Please email me JDeMircift at gmail dot com
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #14

I would be interested in one as well!

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the compliment, Tri.

So your brother made 100 of the brackets? I have dibs on one! Just tell me the price and I'll get you the money. I can do a check or Paypal.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #16

you should of added "love it"
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #17

I got some requests on the install as well as the wiring from those that are planning on installing a system. I'm working on a pdf file and will post it as soon as I'm finish. It'll include the vehicle speed sensor VSS and parking brake bypass as well. I should have pictures & written instructions uploaded soon.

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-20-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #18

HOT DEALS on AVIC D3

http://www.6ave.com/shop/Product.aspx?sku=PIOAVICD3

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/2008+Spring+AVIC-D3+%24200+Mail-In+Rebate
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #19

So how about some ordering information for that custom bracket that you and your friend machined?

Please PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread.

Thanks, Tri!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #20

My brother is in Miami on vacation, I know he has some left though. He place an order for more. I also know he will have them available soon on Ebay. Everything will be included (the kit 2-din housing, support bracket, heat shield, fascia, wire harnesses, antenna adapter, radio removal key, wire nuts, screws and picture instructions from start to finish) for install, minus the tools & AVIC. I think he also selling some stuff separate in case some people have already done the install but would like a bracket or fascia or faceplate. He's not taking calls till Sunday, but I will get back to you ASAP Chills. Happy Easter!