Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
If they found the guy.. and can prove he did it, does your possession of the car (which is in fact "evidence") and the work you have already done (in essence, "tainted evidence") hurt your ability to go after him? (not that he necessarily has the money to pay you for damages caused (per se))
well they said i have two options for right now, i can settle everything and give him probation and get around 10,000 dollars. or i can send him to jail for 2-3 years for grand theft auto. im thinking i will send him to jail

chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #42
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpanther69
well they said i have two options for right now, i can settle everything and give him probation and get around 10,000 dollars. or i can send him to jail for 2-3 years for grand theft auto. im thinking i will send him to jail
Send that MOFO to jail
Old 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #43

oh im deffnitly sending him to jail, i would rather do that than have 10,000 dollars any day. time for this kid to learn a lesson
Old 08-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpanther69
If you send him to jail will you get anything out of it other than satisfaction? How long do you think he'll actually spend behind bars? Probably not very long. I'd think long and hard about making sure you get the cash for your car. If you can do that and force him to do a little time I'd say you'll be better off.

What you have to ask yourself is did he really steal it, meaning not intending to return it to you, or did he wreck the car on the test drive and then just take off? If it's the latter he might plead that he was just scared and didn't know what to do and that he didn't really steal the car. If that happens then he may very well get the probation and you get no money.

Good luck.
senna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
If you send him to jail will you get anything out of it other than satisfaction? How long do you think he'll actually spend behind bars? Probably not very long. I'd think long and hard about making sure you get the cash for your car. If you can do that and force him to do a little time I'd say you'll be better off.

What you have to ask yourself is did he really steal it, meaning not intending to return it to you, or did he wreck the car on the test drive and then just take off? If it's the latter he might plead that he was just scared and didn't know what to do and that he didn't really steal the car. If that happens then he may very well get the probation and you get no money.

Good luck.
no he had the car for a month or two before he wrecked it, like i said earlier, the police werent really that much help at all. and i know he will go away for at least 2 years because when they caught him 4 days ago he also had about half a pound of methamphetamine. and im really not worried about the money, i just want the kid to learn that he cant screw over everyone in the world and get away with it
Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #46
blkboxster

im really not worried about the money, i just want the kid to learn that he cant screw over everyone in the world and get away with it[/QUOTE]

very true..

Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
JUST SEND THAT PIECE OF ******************** TO JAIL...
you look like you know what you're doing bodywork wise, so its all good, let him sit in jail w all the drugs withdrawals and think about what he did
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #48

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #49

its been a while

my roommate brought home a cat and let it loose in the garage, so tonight was the first night i could work on the car without the cat getting out.. i got the back end sanded and bondo'd and ready to go. and found another nice ding while doing it that i hadnt noticed. im still waiting on getting the frame straightened. the high school i used to go to has a autobody class and he has a frame straightener there and i have the correct map for my car to upload to it. so i'll take the free route rather than getting it done right now. the radiator and ac condensor are being purchased money as well. so after all that all i need is a key. and well paint, which i will also be doing myself. any ideas on what color i should do? im leaning more towards the silver already on it, but who knows.

heres some pics.

it still looks good from that side. lol i kinda like it without doors.. hmmm
Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #50

oh yea

i forgot to mention, incase you notices the missing passenger side air bag, im actually going to put in a dvd screen right there. hook up some navigation and a dvd player to it. i think it will add a nice touch to the boxster
Old 08-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #51

so what's the process for painting these damaged areas? prime / paint the damaged area and clear entire panel? or do you sand all the paint off of the entire panel & paint the whole panel?

i'm familiar with painting 'new' stuff, but always wondered how they spot repair. i'm assuming they repair the damaged area, blend the color w/ surrounding paint, and clear the whole panel. do they rough up the surface of the entire panel before clear, or does it stick well to the factory color? thanks.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
so what's the process for painting these damaged areas? prime / paint the damaged area and clear entire panel? or do you sand all the paint off of the entire panel & paint the whole panel?

i'm familiar with painting 'new' stuff, but always wondered how they spot repair. i'm assuming they repair the damaged area, blend the color w/ surrounding paint, and clear the whole panel. do they rough up the surface of the entire panel before clear, or does it stick well to the factory color? thanks.
yes you can spot paint the damaged areas, and yea you got the technique down pretty good. you just rough up the rest with 1500 grit sandpaper and water, then spray the primer on the damaged part and then paint it. you have to "feather edge" the new paint into the existing paint to get it to blend together. then you clear the whole thing. altho i know some people who only clear the part they need to. but for my project i think im going to just paint the whole car, so i will have to sand down or scuff the entire surface to get the new paint to stick.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #53

Man, send that MOFO to jail. drug dealers = no life

Good Luck fixing it.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #54

ok so heres an update on whats going on, i have all the body work done and ready to be put back on the car, and the ac condensor and radiator are in the mail as we speak. and it seems that i over looked an important face, my grandfather works at a lexus/porsche dealership and is getting a me a key made, and is also having one of his mechanics fix my frame for free during his off time. so i think another week and i will have it all done, i'll get some more pics of it up later tonight
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #55

what it looks like now.

its almost done, getting the frame straightened tomorow.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #56

Nice work, keep pluggin'.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #57

why havent you removed the hood badge? Its just two nuts...
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #58

i couldnt find a deep enough socket in my garage, lol.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #59
kt1

I hope you know that you have frame damage on the front left frame rail. You also have bends in the front left upper fender rail. Your front body panel also needs to either be repaired or replaced. Your quarter panel is going to take a lot of pulling, before you start bonding you need to get a body pull first to straighten the body out. Sometimes doing that pull some of the body panels straighten out a bit (like your quarter panel).

Simply putting the panels on and bonding is not going to repair this vehicle. Boxster's are unibody frame designs and therefore have welded panels together with rails that act as the frame. Look at the fender's inner structure (where the inner upper and lower rails will be at) since you have it removed and look for any kinks or bends in the convulated panels that were meant to fold in an accident.

If you look at your first picture you have "sway" frame damage where one end is swayed up higher than the other end. Get it body aligned and pulled first before you do your repairs, its a general rule of thumb of body shops.

But anyway, hopefully you get to your highschool's frame pull machine soon. Since I'm a claims adjuster so I see this quite often...to be honest just on first look without seeing it in person and only in the pictures it looks to be more than $9,000 in repairs/replacements/body pulls/frame alignment/ and sectioning of that front body panel and/or your quarter panel.

Last edited by kt1; 09-04-2007 at 07:02 AM.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1
I hope you know that you have frame damage on the front left frame rail. You also have bends in the front left upper fender rail. Your front body panel also needs to either be repaired or replaced. Your quarter panel is going to take a lot of pulling, before you start bonding you need to get a body pull first to straighten the body out. Sometimes doing that pull some of the body panels straighten out a bit (like your quarter panel).

Simply putting the panels on and bonding is not going to repair this vehicle. Boxster's are unibody frame designs and therefore have welded panels together with rails that act as the frame. Look at the fender's inner structure (where the inner upper and lower rails will be at) since you have it removed and look for any kinks or bends in the convulated panels that were meant to fold in an accident.

If you look at your first picture you have "sway" frame damage where one end is swayed up higher than the other end. Get it body aligned and pulled first before you do your repairs, its a general rule of thumb of body shops.

But anyway, hopefully you get to your highschool's frame pull machine soon. Since I'm a claims adjuster so I see this quite often...to be honest just on first look without seeing it in person and only in the pictures it looks to be more than $9,000 in repairs/replacements/body pulls/frame alignment/ and sectioning of that front body panel and/or your quarter panel.

thanks for the info. ive actually got a guy from north texas auto coming to my house a little later today to look at the car and give me an estimate on how much to pull it. 9,000 dollars huh, thank god im doin this myself. lol.