Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

Unhappy Headlight removal...

I tried to remove the headlights with the 5mm hex tool inside of the tool kit, but I have to be doing something wrong. Is there some trick I am just not getting? I removed the panel covers, opened the three rubber covers on the wheel well, and I see the spot to put the tool, but when I turn it, nothing happens. Help, please!!

986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986speedster
I tried to remove the headlights with the 5mm hex tool inside of the tool kit, but I have to be doing something wrong. Is there some trick I am just not getting? I removed the panel covers, opened the three rubber covers on the wheel well, and I see the spot to put the tool, but when I turn it, nothing happens. Help, please!!
Are you following the directions in the owners manual? I believe it says it should release from the locking position when you turn the key forward to the "B" position and then you can pull it(headlight) foward. I just changed one of my bulbs a few weeks ago. That's how I remember it.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #3

I dont think its turning at all. Did you have to push the tool in forcefully? (I know, it sounds bad) So you turned it towards the front of the car? I read in the PCA.org tech site, to turn it towards the back until you hear a click. There are three openings per light, correct?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
I dont think its turning at all. Did you have to push the tool in forcefully? (I know, it sounds bad) So you turned it towards the front of the car? I read in the PCA.org tech site, to turn it towards the back until you hear a click. There are three openings per light, correct?
I was guessing on the first position as to turn. If it says towards the back, then that is probably right. It should make a click or poping sound when it dis-conects. There is only 1 hole for the tool to go in per side. Not 3 per side. Make sure the tool is in place and in the socket. It should not be loose before you turn it.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-06-2007 at 11:39 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #5

Ok I found the right one, but the tool is not seating properly...I am losing my mind!! Maybe the tool is too big, made incorrectly? Is there some trick to it? Wiggle, hammer?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #6

Should be the same on the boxster

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=306492

Last edited by idheaton; 03-06-2007 at 05:54 PM.
idheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #7

Red face

Quote:
Ok I found the right one, but the tool is not seating properly...I am losing my mind!! Maybe the tool is too big, made incorrectly? Is there some trick to it? Wiggle, hammer?

Speedster, just went through this with my '02. I had the damndest time to get the hex wrench over the bar as it was close to one side of the opening and restricting the seating of the tool. I used a flashlight to see exactly where the bar was so I could favor that side in order to seat the wrench. Make sure the breaker bar on the tool faces straight back when you finally seat it and then turn it down and toward the front as per instructions in your owners manuel. There is only ONE access hole, the round one, to do this operation. The smaller ones are for setting the headlight beams at correct level. When you move the wrench downward you will hear a cracking sound that makes you think you really did it this time but that is just the light releasing. The light will move forward and upward. You then will have to wiggle it out in order to break the electrical connection. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS WHEN YOU RE-INSTALL THE LIGHT. MAKE SURE IT IS IN THE SEATING TRACKS. This is how I broke my electrical connector ( I think) and now have to re-seat it through the fender well. You do not want to have this problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #8

Thank you so much, thought I was the only one. I will attempt it tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Thank you so much, thought I was the only one. I will attempt it tomorrow.

Glad to be of service for a change, usually since I am new to the Boxcars I ask more questions as I have little knowledge of the car and its idiosincracys. Just go easy with your installation of the light back into the fender. There are round studs that stick out of the sides of the headlight unit that have to be mated up to the slots in the black plastic pan that holds the light in place. I think I missed the lower left stud/track alignment when I pushed the light back into the fender. This, I believe, resulted in the breaking of the electric plug from the little tower that holds it into alignment. I now have to remove the tire, remove the fender liner in order to plug the electrical connection back into the rear of the locked down headlight unit. As I said, you don't want to have this problem. I am somewhat of a klutz when it comes to machinery, especailly cars. I can do carpentry work (built my own house physically), can build train models but always have had trouble with cars. Character flaw I suspect....

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #10

Gonna have to remove my passenger side headlight... the 'city light' bulb is dead. Probably try to do it this Friday. Maybe I'll get pics of the procedure.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote