Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2024, 11:13 AM   #1

I broke the LN Faultless IMS tool

Anyone know why LN's Faultless IMS tool would NOT work (apparently "faultless" doesn't mean full-proof)?

While installing the new IMS bearing, I really had to crank on it... which broke the threaded rod

Before I remove it and try again with another threaded rod, I'm wondering what went wrong? Experts please help.

Name:  IMG_8475_rsz1719230591 (1).jpg
Views: 126
Size:  41.5 KB

Attached Images

Last edited by 986girldad; 06-24-2024 at 08:10 AM. Reason: smaller image
986girldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:24 PM   #2

Please resize the picture to something we can actually see.

First of all, all of the components of the Faultless Tool kit are available individually from LN. Secondly, having owned one since they first came out, and used it literally hundreds of times without any issues, I would have to say, "operator error".

It would help if you told us exactly where you were in the retrofit process when this part failed, which type of IMS bearing (single or dual row), and year of the car you are working on.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:09 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm not an expert, but I've used the tool once and can resize pictures. Here's your picture cut down a bit:

Did your faultless tool include the instructions in a binder? What step were you on? My guess is that the Intermediate Shaft was out of alignment and you were pushing the bearing against it rather than into it.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:13 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

No wonder the part broke: It's ****************ing huge! And JFC, your hands are HUGE, too. How do you get anything done, when small hands are a Porche's favorite friend. Bet you're a real lady-pleaser. Or, man pleaser... for I don't know which way you swing.

So, yeah, smaller pics. Using your phone? Resize.

GLWS.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:04 AM   #5

Haha! Sorry for the giant pic (compensating for my tiny 2.7). Thanks for the resize, @78F350.

Details:

2002 base model, 5-chain engine, single row bearing.

Following LN's instructions, I'm on Step 25—pushing the new bearing into the intermediate shaft. I was holding the internal nut and turning the outer nut clockwise to press in the new bearing. It felt like I was appliying too much torque, so I backed off, loosened the the tool to float it, and gave the assembly a bit of wiggle in case I wasn't on right. Then I retightened the mounting bolts of the tool and tried again. I leaned in with my giant hands and... snap goes the threaded rod. I disassembled the tool from the engine and the bearing is partially installed.

Name:  IMG_522A76C51B3E-1.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  57.9 KB

This is my first time, so I'm wondering if the bearing got caught on something that would've blocked it from inserting? It's impossible to see around the faultless tool. The partially-installed bearing is still there, and it feels like it's connected to the IMS.

My plan is to remove the bearing with the faultless tool and retry, but I wanted to ask for any insight from y'all since I'm a virgin and just snapped my rod off.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:35 AM   #6

Haha! Sorry for the giant pic (compensating for my tiny 2.7). Thanks for the resize, @78F350.

Details:

2002 base model, 5-chain engine, single row bearing.

Following LN's instructions, I'm on Step 25—pushing the new bearing into the intermediate shaft. I was holding the internal nut and turning the outer nut clockwise to press in the new bearing. It felt like I was applying too much torque, so I backed off, loosened the tool to float it, and gave the assembly a bit of wiggle in case I wasn't on right. Then I retightened the mounting bolts of the tool and tried again. I leaned in with my giant hands and... snap goes the threaded rod. I disassembled the tool from the engine and the bearing is partially installed.

This is my first time, so I'm wondering if the bearing got caught on something that would've blocked it from inserting? It's impossible to see around the faultless tool. The partially-installed bearing is still there, and it feels like it's connected to the IMS.

My plan is to remove the bearing with the faultless tool and retry, but I wanted to ask for any insight from y'all since I'm a virgin and just snapped my rod off.

Last edited by 986girldad; 06-25-2024 at 04:37 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-25-2024, 05:39 AM   #7

DO NOT REMOVE THE NEW BEARING, because if you do, it will damage the hybrid ceramic balls and will have to be thrown away. Installing the bearing does not put any load on them, but extracting the bearing uses the center bolt to pull on them.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:48 PM   #8

Thank you 🙏
So how do I get it in? It feels stuck
Old 06-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #9

You may need to resort to the old way of installing the bearing using a hammer and installation tool.

I am actually interested in what you find when you remove the Faultless tool as I have never had a bearing cock or refuse to go in when using mine; normally they just glide into place with minimal effort.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You may need to resort to the old way of installing the bearing using a hammer and installation tool.

I am actually interested in what you find when you remove the Faultless tool as I have never had a bearing cock or refuse to go in when using mine; normally they just glide into place with minimal effort.
I'm also in PA, so PM me if you feel like seeing it IRL. Otherwise, here's a video of the tool removed and the bearing jammed with the lock ring exposed: https://youtu.be/71iXAxee1NA
Old 06-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

The lock ring is still visible. Here's a video: https://youtu.be/71iXAxee1NA?si=iMESD2wiaJ2Xiu-_

I'm in Western PA. If you feel like lending your expertise, PM me.

P.S. Sorry for the delayed responses. Moderators need to approve everything I post (newb )
Old 06-29-2024, 08:26 AM   #12

The old fashioned way worked! It was a bit tricky getting the metal ring in while hammering, but a little pick, a flathead, and a lot of patience did the trick. Thank you again @JFP in PA!!! I would've trashed my bearing had you not chimed in, so I am very thankful for your help.

Tags
dyi , ims , ln engineering , sos , tools