Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #1

Help with PST2

Hello-- So I got a PST2 clone today— hooked it up and tried to change the map in the DME, but I did not see a screen to confirm my VIN, I put the IPAS code in twice and kept getting a message “test step aborted. (47)” My battery works for normal operation but is only at 12.6 volts— it’s also on a charger-- a trickle charger of 1.5 amps. Could that be the cause? There is a service bulletin for 2004 GT3s and it recommends a charger of 40amps. Does anyone have any experience with a charger that can sustain such output that's not super expensive? Does anyone know the upper limit of charging power so as to not fry my DME? Also, the software seems to work in other regards; it picks up all the systems and I can do things like turn fans on, so I assume it's communicating properly.

Hello.AmeerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #2

I should clarify, the vehicle was a 1999 986
Old 05-16-2022, 02:05 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello.AmeerM View Post
I should clarify, the vehicle was a 1999 986
What does "There is a service bulletin for 2004 GT3s and it recommends a charger of 40amps." have to do with your circumstances?

You also say the vehicle "was" a 1999.

Help me here. Thank you.

Last edited by Starter986; 05-16-2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Cause it's 3 effin AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:22 AM   #4

Re programming is supposed to only be done with a constant/uninterruptable power supply attached to the vehicle to prevent voltage related issues during the process.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Re programming is supposed to only be done with a constant/uninterruptable power supply attached to the vehicle to prevent voltage related issues during the process.
Got it. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #6

Starter986, the 2004 gt3 has a similar dme module and I’m thinking I haven’t met the voltage requirements for the car when it is on, without the engine running. And yes, it is a MY1999.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:09 PM   #7

No, you don't need 40 amps to flash your dme.

You should be using a charger that varies current based on battery state to achieve a solid constant voltage (as JFP said). Trickle chargers are garbage.

When you say a pst2 clone, do you mean a piwis 2?

If it's a piwis2, read the thread I posted a while ago on flashing. You should not have to enter your cars vin - it can read that on its own.

Also, it's not going to ask you for an ipas code for mapping. iPas codes are for keys. It will ask you for dme code.

Without watching you do it is hard for me to say - I never encountered that error. BUT it seems like if you're getting to the step where it asks for the code, and then it errors it after you enter the code, you have the wrong code (occams razor).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 05-16-2022 at 07:16 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #8

Ike84, do you know of a charger that can achieve this? Would a battery charger with a boost setting work? These seem to be the only ones I can get my hands on.

As for the PST2, it is a laptop with Porsche System Tester 2 software loaded on to it, with a Bosche card. From my understanding, this software should auto populate your vin and force you to confirm it is correct before changing the map. As for the code, I got it once from one dealership, and now I have the printout from another with all of my IPAS codes— the dme code is the same.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello.AmeerM View Post
Ike84, do you know of a charger that can achieve this? Would a battery charger with a boost setting work? These seem to be the only ones I can get my hands on.

As for the PST2, it is a laptop with Porsche System Tester 2 software loaded on to it, with a Bosche card. From my understanding, this software should auto populate your vin and force you to confirm it is correct before changing the map. As for the code, I got it once from one dealership, and now I have the printout from another with all of my IPAS codes— the dme code is the same.
Any decent charger will do it.

I use a DeWalt charger/reconditioner.

I have never seen a battery charger deliver a continuous 40amp current. Look in your home's / garage's breaker box and count the number of 120v breakers rated to over 30 amps...

It sounds to me like you have a piwis 2 (or possibly 3). If you snap a pic of the box and a screenshot of the software then I can tell you for sure

Either way I stand by my original statement - I think you're simply entering the wrong code

Old 05-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #10

This is not a pic of mine, but an identical set up. It is a Porsche System Tester 2– the predecessor to the PIWIS.

I think the issue is not with power but with the cable or software. In simulation mode, when changing the dme map, the vin should auto populate. With mine, it is not. It’s bizarre though, because the software will interact with the dme, I can turn on fans and get data from the vehicle.

Does anyone know what that error code (47), refers to?
Old 05-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #11

Old 05-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #12

Holy cow, I didn't realize anyone was actually selling that setup.

What hardware box and cable came with it?

I don't have any experience with the pst2. They stopped use of that when they phased out me5.2.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #13

So, it's a cloned hard drive on a 3.11(I believe) laptop. The interface is through a Bosch KTS card with a 20 pin Honda to OBD2 cable. I have to check the cable next; unless I can find a Bergvillfx PST2 cable. Also supplied was an OBD2-OBD adapter.

The interface is pretty simple and the 986 workshop manuals have instructions for using it, but there really isn't too much info on the internet concerning them.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #14

Ok, so updating this for anyone who finds this in the future. The problem was my OBD2-to-Honda 20-pin cable. The pin-out was incorrect. I re-soldered it and hopped in the car. without a charger on the battery.

When I changed the map in my car, I was prompted to enter the IPAS code for the DME twice(once for old and once for new). I was never prompted to confirm my vin. The loading screen took approximately two minutes(the PST2 clone is on a laptop with an SSD). After, I was prompted to turn the car off(engine was not running, key just in on position) and turn it back on. I "confirmed" the car was programmed correctly by starting it without stepping on the clutch. Drove the car 1/4 mile and have now parked it for the night.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #15

Glad you got it sorted out. The cable was gonna be my next suggestion. Do you mind sharing the correct pinout? (Just in case anyone else needs it)

Old 12-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #16

Hey, the person who I received the pinout from requested specifically that I do not share or post it, unfortunately.

Tags
986 , boxster , diagnostics , pst2