986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Help with PST2 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/82271-help-pst2.html)

Hello.AmeerM 05-15-2022 10:23 PM

Help with PST2

Hello-- So I got a PST2 clone today— hooked it up and tried to change the map in the DME, but I did not see a screen to confirm my VIN, I put the IPAS code in twice and kept getting a message “test step aborted. (47)” My battery works for normal operation but is only at 12.6 volts— it’s also on a charger-- a trickle charger of 1.5 amps. Could that be the cause? There is a service bulletin for 2004 GT3s and it recommends a charger of 40amps. Does anyone have any experience with a charger that can sustain such output that's not super expensive? Does anyone know the upper limit of charging power so as to not fry my DME? Also, the software seems to work in other regards; it picks up all the systems and I can do things like turn fans on, so I assume it's communicating properly. :confused:

Hello.AmeerM 05-15-2022 10:24 PM

I should clarify, the vehicle was a 1999 986

Starter986 05-16-2022 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello.AmeerM (Post 646579)
I should clarify, the vehicle was a 1999 986

What does "There is a service bulletin for 2004 GT3s and it recommends a charger of 40amps." have to do with your circumstances?

You also say the vehicle "was" a 1999.

Help me here. Thank you.

JFP in PA 05-16-2022 06:22 AM

Re programming is supposed to only be done with a constant/uninterruptable power supply attached to the vehicle to prevent voltage related issues during the process.

Starter986 05-16-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 646582)
Re programming is supposed to only be done with a constant/uninterruptable power supply attached to the vehicle to prevent voltage related issues during the process.

Got it. Thank you.

Hello.AmeerM 05-16-2022 11:13 AM

Starter986, the 2004 gt3 has a similar dme module and I’m thinking I haven’t met the voltage requirements for the car when it is on, without the engine running. And yes, it is a MY1999.

ike84 05-16-2022 07:09 PM

No, you don't need 40 amps to flash your dme.

You should be using a charger that varies current based on battery state to achieve a solid constant voltage (as JFP said). Trickle chargers are garbage.

When you say a pst2 clone, do you mean a piwis 2?

If it's a piwis2, read the thread I posted a while ago on flashing. You should not have to enter your cars vin - it can read that on its own.

Also, it's not going to ask you for an ipas code for mapping. iPas codes are for keys. It will ask you for dme code.

Without watching you do it is hard for me to say - I never encountered that error. BUT it seems like if you're getting to the step where it asks for the code, and then it errors it after you enter the code, you have the wrong code (occams razor).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hello.AmeerM 05-16-2022 07:52 PM

Ike84, do you know of a charger that can achieve this? Would a battery charger with a boost setting work? These seem to be the only ones I can get my hands on.

As for the PST2, it is a laptop with Porsche System Tester 2 software loaded on to it, with a Bosche card. From my understanding, this software should auto populate your vin and force you to confirm it is correct before changing the map. As for the code, I got it once from one dealership, and now I have the printout from another with all of my IPAS codes— the dme code is the same.

ike84 05-18-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello.AmeerM (Post 646599)
Ike84, do you know of a charger that can achieve this? Would a battery charger with a boost setting work? These seem to be the only ones I can get my hands on.

As for the PST2, it is a laptop with Porsche System Tester 2 software loaded on to it, with a Bosche card. From my understanding, this software should auto populate your vin and force you to confirm it is correct before changing the map. As for the code, I got it once from one dealership, and now I have the printout from another with all of my IPAS codes— the dme code is the same.

Any decent charger will do it.

I use a DeWalt charger/reconditioner.

I have never seen a battery charger deliver a continuous 40amp current. Look in your home's / garage's breaker box and count the number of 120v breakers rated to over 30 amps...

It sounds to me like you have a piwis 2 (or possibly 3). If you snap a pic of the box and a screenshot of the software then I can tell you for sure

Either way I stand by my original statement - I think you're simply entering the wrong code

Hello.AmeerM 05-18-2022 07:48 PM

This is not a pic of mine, but an identical set up. It is a Porsche System Tester 2– the predecessor to the PIWIS. https://images.app.goo.gl/ArLMYtfUjbXLCkCw8

I think the issue is not with power but with the cable or software. In simulation mode, when changing the dme map, the vin should auto populate. With mine, it is not. It’s bizarre though, because the software will interact with the dme, I can turn on fans and get data from the vehicle.

Does anyone know what that error code (47), refers to?

Hello.AmeerM 05-18-2022 07:54 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1652932471.jpg

ike84 05-20-2022 06:19 PM

Holy cow, I didn't realize anyone was actually selling that setup.

What hardware box and cable came with it?

I don't have any experience with the pst2. They stopped use of that when they phased out me5.2.

Hello.AmeerM 05-20-2022 06:41 PM

So, it's a cloned hard drive on a 3.11(I believe) laptop. The interface is through a Bosch KTS card with a 20 pin Honda to OBD2 cable. I have to check the cable next; unless I can find a Bergvillfx PST2 cable. Also supplied was an OBD2-OBD adapter.

The interface is pretty simple and the 986 workshop manuals have instructions for using it, but there really isn't too much info on the internet concerning them.

Hello.AmeerM 05-20-2022 09:45 PM

Ok, so updating this for anyone who finds this in the future. The problem was my OBD2-to-Honda 20-pin cable. The pin-out was incorrect. I re-soldered it and hopped in the car. without a charger on the battery.

When I changed the map in my car, I was prompted to enter the IPAS code for the DME twice(once for old and once for new). I was never prompted to confirm my vin. The loading screen took approximately two minutes(the PST2 clone is on a laptop with an SSD). After, I was prompted to turn the car off(engine was not running, key just in on position) and turn it back on. I "confirmed" the car was programmed correctly by starting it without stepping on the clutch. Drove the car 1/4 mile and have now parked it for the night. :D

ike84 05-21-2022 07:11 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. The cable was gonna be my next suggestion. Do you mind sharing the correct pinout? (Just in case anyone else needs it)

Hello.AmeerM 12-12-2022 09:15 AM

Hey, the person who I received the pinout from requested specifically that I do not share or post it, unfortunately.