Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:44 AM.
kbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod View Post
I recently bought a boxster 2.7 tiptronic. I bought it being told it had a blown head gasket but upon disassembly I realized it was just a coolant hose that blew up, after replacing that the car was back in action, I changed its oil and coolant and saw 0 intermix. the car runs well aside from its shot front engine mount. But along absolutely abysmal fuel economy (11mpg) after driving the car 20 miles it threw a check engine light p1341. There was also an evap leak code. I brought the car home and made sure there was no evap leaks, sealed everything and cleared the codes, after driving another 20 miles the p1341 came back, but that was the only code this time. I also noticed right around when the check engine light kicks on the idle is really low and rough but when I hit the gas the car revs to life and sounds great. I just cleaned the mass air flow sensor, cleaned the throttle body and replaced all 6 spark plugs and inspected the coils. I don't understand what is the cause of the p1341 code that comes randomly without any real issue and how to fix it since the car is due for a smog check. any help is appreciated!!
P1341 is a code relating to a cam timing issue on bank one.
Usually related to the Variocam actuator, Variocam actuator solenoid, or the related wiring.
What year is the car and how many miles?
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
2001 boxster 2.7 with 116,000 miles, when I last did an oil change I saw no green particles in the sump, Should I begin with replacing the solenoid?
I would start with some research and study up on how the system works.
Things like:
What RPM is the actuator supposed to kick in and out at.
How is the Solenoid is wired? How many wires to the Solenoid? What voltages are spec?
Things like that.
Then I would get some diagnostic equipment like a Durametric or Foxwell scanner so I could look at live data.
Then I could look at things like:
Is the system functioning at all?
Is the solenoid getting voltage?
Are the cams moving at all?
Do I have an open or short in the solenoid wiring harness?

So what you want to start with is a detailed and complete as possible diagnosis of the problem before you start changing out expensive parts.
Isolate and Identify the problem before you fix it.
It could be something as simple as a bad wiring connection.
Or something more complex.

Last edited by blue62; 09-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #5

deleted post

Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
sounds fair enough. upon research I just noticed this is quite the task as it seems to be a common failure point on these cars although i can only seem to find replacement solenoids and i cant find a replacement actuator nor is there a general idea of what usually is the culprit. Some say the plastic guides wear down, some say stuck actuator, some say solenoids. I just want to know that if I am going to suffer in removing the valve covers which are integrated to the cams..I change the right part. And taking off the camshaft doesn't seem fun either, considering I really don't want to drop this engine. I guess ill start with the 400$ scan tool just to see what i'm really going to have to spend on haha. thanks!
Yes that is why I stressed getting to know the system as part of doing a proper diagnosis. The fix can be lots of work and expense or something relatively simple and cheap. that's where a proper diagnosis comes in.
You can test the wiring to the solenoid with a simple Digital Volt Meter but you need to know what wire is what and the voltage specs.
As you try to fix the issue work from simplest thing first to the more complex step by step. So I would start with the wiring and work my way up.
Lots of discussion on this issue here on the forum. So using the search function should help you out if you haven't done that already.
Keep us posted on your progress
We learn a lot about these cars from others experiences.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

as for the scanner, is there a specific foxwell scanner that has the functions of seeing the engine data that I need for this project or is that a durametric only thing. Also is there any fsm paperwork on this issue?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
as for the scanner, is there a specific foxwell scanner that has the functions of seeing the engine data that I need for this project or is that a durametric only thing. Also is there any fsm paperwork on this issue?
I haven't yet purchased it. However, everything I've read upon the pages in this forum, and some of my own research, points to the Durmetric. At the very least, the enthusiast model. Likely it will pay for itself first time you plug it in. Electrical gremlins can be quite costly. How much does your local Porsche indi charge for an hour? Two? That's the math I did, but haven't been forced into a corner compelling the purchase.

There's your Durmetric.

Last edited by Starter986; 09-29-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Nails
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry double post.

Last edited by blue62; 09-29-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a Foxwell NT520 Pro cost around $175.00 shipped.
You can get it loaded with any manufactures programing. Ford,Porsche, what ever.
You can also down load additional programing for an added fee. So if you own say a Honda and a Porsche like I do, you can use the scanner on both. It gives you OBDII code reading and manufacture specific codes of which ever manufactures programs you have loaded.
It gives you live data, graphing, component actuation such as fuel injectors, heater fan, cooling fans, What ever the manufactures programing allows in the way of component access. So with the Porsche program I can test or actuate anything on my 2000S Boxster that my Durametric can actuate or test.

The advantage of the Durametric (for myself). is the big laptop screen.
It allows me to graph several signals at once and compare them.
On the Foxwell I can only graph two signals at once and the screen is small.

The bigger issue with any scanner or test equipment is knowing what your looking at and how to use it in a diagnostic process.
Which for me is always an ongoing process.

FSM paperwork?? just so we are on the same page do you mean Factory Service +Maintenance paperwork???? Or???
Old 09-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #11

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Yea, Just overall documentation on the process of even working on this car. Im not new to big engine work, Ive done plenty of timing chains on n26 bmws, along with 6cl toyota motors. But this is my first time getting into a porsche flat 6, And there are no videos or any documentation ive found on working on these cars, In the event I do have to change the solenoid or actuator Im sure it wont be easy. Ill look into the foxwell scanner, and do some research on which parts I need to test and how.
Factory type info on these cars is hard to come by.
I think there are a series of documents (in three ring binder form).
That covers everything about the cars. But I believe they are out of print, hard to find, and expensive.

There are people here on the forum that are very knowledgeable about these cars.
So I think you could get help or clarification from fellow forum members with most issues.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Yea, Just overall documentation on the process of even working on this car. Im not new to big engine work, Ive done plenty of timing chains on n26 bmws, along with 6cl toyota motors. But this is my first time getting into a porsche flat 6, And there are no videos or any documentation ive found on working on these cars, In the event I do have to change the solenoid or actuator Im sure it wont be easy. Ill look into the foxwell scanner, and do some research on which parts I need to test and how.
Kbod, The knowledge group (flat6innovations) offer their engine assembly on a CD package that covers everything you will need (but will set you back about $600..)

https://www.theknowledgegruppe.com/
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #14

Most of the factory produced documentation that was around for the early 986 cars was never updated with any of the many updates Porsche put out. So while good, there are errors.

And for later cars, there was no printed repair and diagnosis manuals, just the online info for which you had to be a dealer or have really seriously deep pockets to purchase.

About 2-3 years ago on the forum someone really went into the systems you are looking at and posted theory and testing approaches but on which forum and who it was ... I'm too old to remember. Search is you friend.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #15

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner.htm

This seems to be a decent source, Although it really only mentions replacing the solenoid. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with the car considering I cant even find a replacement actuator.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #16

i just bought an autell maxidiag 806, ive heard it can do alot so hopefully it works well on the car. do any of you know about it?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
i just bought an autell maxidiag 806, ive heard it can do alot so hopefully it works well on the car. do any of you know about it?
No experience with it here but it did google it.
Looks like it reads live data and can do component tests. and other functions.
I didn't see any mention of graphing capability but maybe it has it and wasn't mentioned.
Looks like it will be a useful tool for you.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Yes that is why I stressed getting to know the system as part of doing a proper diagnosis. The fix can be lots of work and expense or something relatively simple and cheap. that's where a proper diagnosis comes in.
You can test the wiring to the solenoid with a simple Digital Volt Meter but you need to know what wire is what and the voltage specs.
As you try to fix the issue work from simplest thing first to the more complex step by step. So I would start with the wiring and work my way up.
Lots of discussion on this issue here on the forum. So using the search function should help you out if you haven't done that already.
Keep us posted on your progress
We learn a lot about these cars from others experiences.
Alright, Just got a nice scan tool in, sure enough I have only one engine fault. the p1341 code. and sure enough it idles like crap. Going through the live data both banks have cam deviations in the 6 range. missfire counter looks great and mass air flow and voltages look good as well, Do any of you have a link for perhaps a forum post on what the testing procedure for the solenoid and actuator is?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #19

deleted post

Old 10-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Ok I just did some live data testing....the thing wouldn't recreate the problem. The timing on both banks was consistently even as the idle fluctuated. My question is, what would be symbolic of a failed solenoid versus a failed actuator/tensioner assembly. Because from what i know a solenoid is a 200 dollar part which only requires the valve cover removal..... whilst a tensioner assembly is a MASSIVE undertaking involving camshaft and timing chain removal... ive narrowed it down to either a solenoid or actuator issue... I just need to see which one it is before I start spending and the car really has no pattern with this problem, sometimes it just does not do it. Sometimes it will do it at cold idle, sometimes it will do it after warming up, I might add the car was sitting for 3 years until this month, if that changes anything, although it runs amazing and revs like a champ.. Although I noticed sometimes the car takes extra long to start. sometimes it doesn't and starts right up super fast, one time it refused to start at all and I had to press the gas pedal while cranking for a bit to get it to roar to life.... I feel like that might be connected who knows...
first: I would test the wiring to the solenoid.
I don't know if the wiring to the solenoid is just a 12 volt hot and a ground or???
So you will need a wiring diagram.
Second: If your scanner has component test capability you could actuate the Variocam system one bank at a time. With key on engine off and listen for the solenoid to actuate=click.
Doing this with key on engine off you should be able to hear the solenoid work because it is electric component.
but the actuator will not activate because it needs oil pressure to work.

Last edited by blue62; 10-02-2020 at 06:01 AM.