View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod View Post
sounds fair enough. upon research I just noticed this is quite the task as it seems to be a common failure point on these cars although i can only seem to find replacement solenoids and i cant find a replacement actuator nor is there a general idea of what usually is the culprit. Some say the plastic guides wear down, some say stuck actuator, some say solenoids. I just want to know that if I am going to suffer in removing the valve covers which are integrated to the cams..I change the right part. And taking off the camshaft doesn't seem fun either, considering I really don't want to drop this engine. I guess ill start with the 400$ scan tool just to see what i'm really going to have to spend on haha. thanks!
Yes that is why I stressed getting to know the system as part of doing a proper diagnosis. The fix can be lots of work and expense or something relatively simple and cheap. that's where a proper diagnosis comes in.
You can test the wiring to the solenoid with a simple Digital Volt Meter but you need to know what wire is what and the voltage specs.
As you try to fix the issue work from simplest thing first to the more complex step by step. So I would start with the wiring and work my way up.
Lots of discussion on this issue here on the forum. So using the search function should help you out if you haven't done that already.
Keep us posted on your progress
We learn a lot about these cars from others experiences.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote