Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
Finding a coolant leak

2002 tip, 80k
Car started dropping coolant right rear. Obvious coolant tank leak and wouldn’t hold vacuum after draining system. Replaced coolant tank, everything went in fine.
After replacement, used my trusty airlift and it just sucks air, no vacuum. Airlift works fine, tested that and good seal at filler neck. I have a hole somewhere and can’t find it. Any usual suspects here from others experiences. Plan on trying smoke to see where I’m drawing air. I’ve heard the burp valve is bad in new ones sometimes, that would be nice.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #2

Are you sucking air through the overflow hose by chance?
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Are you sucking air through the overflow hose by chance?

Talk to me...I hope I’m not forgetting something. I remember just stuffing the airlift in the filler neck and drawing a vacuum, did I plug something and forget?

Old 08-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Talk to me...I hope I’m not forgetting something. I remember just stuffing the airlift in the filler neck and drawing a vacuum, did I plug something and forget?

No; the Airlift system is just plugged into the tank fill opening and will pull vacuum if the system is closed; if you are not getting vacuum, something is open.

Any chance you are using an aftermarket tank with a built in leak?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Just had same issue. New tank would make vacuum with airlift. Did pressure test. The bleed valve on the new tank was defective and leaking. replaced the valve and then system held pressure/ vacuum.
lmnsblu355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Just read through and thought of an old thread. Here it is just in case it becomes relevant. My first Question, Bleeder Valve?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 AM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No; the Airlift system is just plugged into the tank fill opening and will pull vacuum if the system is closed; if you are not getting vacuum, something is open.

Any chance you are using an aftermarket tank with a built in leak?
gonna check the bleeder valve, it is an aftermarket provided by owner. hoping I dont need parts
Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
not the coolant tank...and hoses all look good, this is a tip, so wondering if there is something on this different from the manuals? where could this leak be...(dont say anywhere, I know that!)
Old 08-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Yep, it isn't the tank, I can plug it up and holds vacuum, and I can't see a bad hose or anything underneath...this is a TIP, so there is coolant running through tranny I think, but the right rear wheel well leaks. struggling on this.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Yep, it isn't the tank, I can plug it up and holds vacuum, and I can't see a bad hose or anything underneath...this is a TIP, so there is coolant running through tranny I think, but the right rear wheel well leaks. struggling on this.
The only things at that location are the tank and its associated hose connections and the Tip cooler and flow controls.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Can you fill with plain water, and pressurize it a bit? Leak should be pretty obvious......

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
Can you fill with plain water, and pressurize it a bit? Leak should be pretty obvious......

-Eric
Better yet, use water with UV dye in it, pressurize and hit the area with a black light....
Old 08-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Better yet, use water with UV dye in it, pressurize and hit the area with a black light....
We replaced the coolant tank, and that was on its way out without questions, the backside was crazed and brittle. So I dont feel bad about that effort.

The airlift vacuum with smoke was the trick, we had it running and watched the smoke draw straight up the side of the tranny.
There is a plastic diaphragm thing on the passenger side of the Tip Tranny, way up top. the inlet nipple for coolant was cracked. Replaced this and it held vacuum, sucked in the coolant and the car is back up and running.
Thanks for all the suggestions, good ones for sure. hopefully this helps another with a mystery leak in the passenger side rear wheel well. Tip cars only!

BTW, JFP...the picture is AWESOME, This helps the next guy for sure since you cannot see this in the car. I missed seeing your post on my earlier responses, but knew about the cooler. In fact, I had the part on a shelf so when we discovered it broken I pulled it down. My friend was left wondering...why did he have that part laying around?..haha

928-574-573-03-M53 partnumber
Attached Images

Last edited by tonythetiger; 08-31-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #14

That is the coolant flow control valve for the Tip oil cooler. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #15
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
That is the coolant flow control valve for the Tip oil cooler. Glad you got it sorted.
yep, quick question on the Burp Valve...when I pull vacuum, the tank fills with a little coolant and every 20-30 seconds, the tank bubbles and the vacuum drops about a pound.
Is this the burp valve leaking?
does the vent for this extend down to the bottom of the coolant tank, thus bubbles?
is this what I would see with a leaking burp valve?
Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #16

If the bubbles continue, you have a leak somewhere. It is not usual for bubbles to come out at first and then tapper off; that is just air coming out of the system. But if the bubbles continue, you have a problem.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Will there be cake?

Garage
Agreed, it is slow, and cycles which is weird. It takes 5 minutes to bleed down but does it every 20 seconds a pound at a time. Can’t find it. Think we need UV dye and black light unless you think of something

Old 09-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #18

At this juncture, I would drain the vehicle, mix UV dye into the water and refill the system. Then pressurize it to 18 PSIG, turn off the lights, and start looking............
Old 09-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #19

Thank you!

Very interesting post, thank you for sharing your experiences!

Learned something new today
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #20
Will there be cake?

Garage
Sorry about this, thought I had picture and already out going to dealer. Found the leak, hairline fracture in cooling flange. It is on the bottom of engine, driver side and has a large hose hooked to it headed up front. Think it is main outlet to radiators. Four bolts. What is that housing called, please.