Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered User
 
morgal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 134
Bump stop replacement

My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
2010 Volvo XC60
2011 GMC Denali HD 6.6L
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.
If this is the part, 996-343-301-02, (well that's the number for an 03 S, your number could be different but for the same piece), I think you'll need to remove and disassemble the strut to get it on. Are you sure the bump stops aren't way up in there on top of the boots on the strut shafts?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Registered User
 
morgal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 134
I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
2010 Volvo XC60
2011 GMC Denali HD 6.6L
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,062
Sorry for that. Because the mounting plate on top of the strut goes up from underneath into the unibody, I'm fairly certain you need to pull the strut and disassemble it.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,461
Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s
__________________
JesseJames
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2

Last edited by NewArt; 03-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Registered User
 
morgal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s
Thanks! Looks much less intimidating than it sounds.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
2010 Volvo XC60
2011 GMC Denali HD 6.6L
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Registered User
 
itsnotanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.
AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
morgal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine
Dadgum! We were eyeing Caesar's Palace fountain. Thanks for the counsel. Seemed (past tense for certain) like a lot of work for those things.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
2010 Volvo XC60
2011 GMC Denali HD 6.6L
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 883
Garage
If you're going to do all that work to replace a couple bump stops, the while you're in there list includes new shock mounts, all the front end parts may also need replaced. I just did a reasonably involved front end refresh with new control arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends and struts. I ended up finding a couple of really nice fully assembled low mile takeoffs and saved the hassle (and some money) over replacing shock mounts, dust boots and bump stops and still having the same shocks. You'll need an alignment so that's why the other items are there on the while you're in there list.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Laval QC
Posts: 67
This may be unrealistic but why not a split bump stop that slips over the strut shaft? Something like this:
https://fortnine.ca/en/warn-winch-hook-bump-stop-99944?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbTwr9Tt4AIVxkGGCh1UJghrEA YYBSABEgIfXvD_BwE
Sure would save a lot of work. This interests me because I am looking at 4 worn out stops on 2 Boxsters.
__________________
Grant
Blue 2000 Boxster 5-speed
Green 2000 Boxster 5-speed
1978 928 auto
1987 924S 5-speed
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page