Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Bump stop replacement

My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.
If this is the part, 996-343-301-02, (well that's the number for an 03 S, your number could be different but for the same piece), I think you'll need to remove and disassemble the strut to get it on. Are you sure the bump stops aren't way up in there on top of the boots on the strut shafts?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

Sorry for that. Because the mounting plate on top of the strut goes up from underneath into the unibody, I'm fairly certain you need to pull the strut and disassemble it.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!:ah:
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?

Last edited by NewArt; 03-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!:ah:
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s
Thanks! Looks much less intimidating than it sounds.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.
AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine
Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine
Dadgum! We were eyeing Caesar's Palace fountain. Thanks for the counsel. Seemed (past tense for certain) like a lot of work for those things.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

Garage
If you're going to do all that work to replace a couple bump stops, the while you're in there list includes new shock mounts, all the front end parts may also need replaced. I just did a reasonably involved front end refresh with new control arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends and struts. I ended up finding a couple of really nice fully assembled low mile takeoffs and saved the hassle (and some money) over replacing shock mounts, dust boots and bump stops and still having the same shocks. You'll need an alignment so that's why the other items are there on the while you're in there list.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 AM   #10

Garage
This may be unrealistic but why not a split bump stop that slips over the strut shaft? Something like this:
https://fortnine.ca/en/warn-winch-hook-bump-stop-99944?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbTwr9Tt4AIVxkGGCh1UJghrEA YYBSABEgIfXvD_BwE
Sure would save a lot of work. This interests me because I am looking at 4 worn out stops on 2 Boxsters.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #11

Garage
Leave struts installed.

I see I am replying to this thread about a month late but the answer is NO, you DO NOT have to remove the strut to replace the front bump stops! Do not waste your time removing them. You simply undo the single strut nut under the plastic cover under the hood. Then push the shaft of the strut down with a screw driver or something. Once it is low enough you can slip the old bump stop out from between the spring coils and put in the new one. Very easy and very quick job. Cutting of the bump stop is not required. You may have to use a deep socket and a hex key together to stop the strut shaft from rotating preventing the nut from coming off, or if you have a good impactor you may not have an issue. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this job on my 2000 S with no issue.
Brad604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
P-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad604 View Post
I see I am replying to this thread about a month late but the answer is NO, you DO NOT have to remove the strut to replace the front bump stops! Do not waste your time removing them. You simply undo the single strut nut under the plastic cover under the hood. Then push the shaft of the strut down with a screw driver or something. Once it is low enough you can slip the old bump stop out from between the spring coils and put in the new one. Very easy and very quick job. Cutting of the bump stop is not required. You may have to use a deep socket and a hex key together to stop the strut shaft from rotating preventing the nut from coming off, or if you have a good impactor you may not have an issue. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this job on my 2000 S with no issue.
I know this thread is old, but this is a killer pro tip!
P-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Hey Brad, I need to replace my front bumpstops and saw your tip. How do you keep all of the components above the bumpstop together (parts circled in red) to thread the strut shaft back through and reinstall the nut? It doesn't look like these is much space with the spring being so small to do this easily. Appreciate the help, thanks.

luckywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #14

Garage
Can the dust boot be replaced just as easily while you are in there?
lynngarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks just finished replacing my bump stops as per your instructions, 1 hour total.�� I also noticed that the strut shaft has no resistance easy down and easy up, is this normal thanks?

Last edited by Franco; 09-10-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Thanks just finished replacing my bump stops as per your instructions, 1 hour total.�� I also noticed that the strut shaft has no resistance easy down and easy up, is this normal thanks?
hmm, how old are your struts (miles)?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
No, sound like they are toast.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
hmm, how old are your struts (miles)?
There’s a little resistance not much and 70000 miles to date, thanks. ��
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 09-10-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:04 AM   #19

Anyone else would like to chime in.🤔🤔🤔
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Old 09-13-2023, 03:06 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone else would like to chime in.🤔🤔🤔
JFP doesn’t need for any of us amateurs to agree with him.