986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Bump stop replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/74683-bump-stop-replacement.html)

morgal48 03-02-2019 11:38 AM

Bump stop replacement

My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.

PaulE 03-02-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 590025)
My front bump stops aren't there. To replace them, is it necessary to remove the whole strut, or can I just put new components at the top end? The car is on jacks for annual maintenance and I just found this. Thanks in advance.

If this is the part, 996-343-301-02, (well that's the number for an 03 S, your number could be different but for the same piece), I think you'll need to remove and disassemble the strut to get it on. Are you sure the bump stops aren't way up in there on top of the boots on the strut shafts?

morgal48 03-02-2019 12:13 PM

I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.

PaulE 03-02-2019 02:53 PM

Sorry for that. Because the mounting plate on top of the strut goes up from underneath into the unibody, I'm fairly certain you need to pull the strut and disassemble it.

NewArt 03-03-2019 07:34 AM

Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!:ah:
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s

morgal48 03-03-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 590075)
Well, at least it's the fronts. Much easier to remove and replace than the rears!:ah:
I have a video for that on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XdG-MBOac&t=65s

Thanks! Looks much less intimidating than it sounds.

itsnotanova 03-03-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 590028)
I'm sure. They're not completely gone - each is about 1/2" long and is resting at the top of the bottom spring plate. They appear to have been spinning for some time.

AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine

morgal48 03-04-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 590112)
AT least 90% of struts i see have bump stops that have aged to the point that they slide down onto the top of the strut. The other 10% are not far from falling. I wouldn't stress over a deteriorated bump stop. Don't go jumping your car and you'll be fine

Dadgum! We were eyeing Caesar's Palace fountain. Thanks for the counsel. Seemed (past tense for certain) like a lot of work for those things.

jdraupp 03-05-2019 01:38 PM

If you're going to do all that work to replace a couple bump stops, the while you're in there list includes new shock mounts, all the front end parts may also need replaced. I just did a reasonably involved front end refresh with new control arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends and struts. I ended up finding a couple of really nice fully assembled low mile takeoffs and saved the hassle (and some money) over replacing shock mounts, dust boots and bump stops and still having the same shocks. You'll need an alignment so that's why the other items are there on the while you're in there list.

elgyqc 03-06-2019 04:58 AM

This may be unrealistic but why not a split bump stop that slips over the strut shaft? Something like this:
https://fortnine.ca/en/warn-winch-hook-bump-stop-99944?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbTwr9Tt4AIVxkGGCh1UJghrEA YYBSABEgIfXvD_BwE
Sure would save a lot of work. This interests me because I am looking at 4 worn out stops on 2 Boxsters.

Brad604 04-07-2019 06:20 PM

Leave struts installed.

I see I am replying to this thread about a month late but the answer is NO, you DO NOT have to remove the strut to replace the front bump stops! Do not waste your time removing them. You simply undo the single strut nut under the plastic cover under the hood. Then push the shaft of the strut down with a screw driver or something. Once it is low enough you can slip the old bump stop out from between the spring coils and put in the new one. Very easy and very quick job. Cutting of the bump stop is not required. You may have to use a deep socket and a hex key together to stop the strut shaft from rotating preventing the nut from coming off, or if you have a good impactor you may not have an issue. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this job on my 2000 S with no issue.

P-C 07-23-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad604 (Post 592535)
I see I am replying to this thread about a month late but the answer is NO, you DO NOT have to remove the strut to replace the front bump stops! Do not waste your time removing them. You simply undo the single strut nut under the plastic cover under the hood. Then push the shaft of the strut down with a screw driver or something. Once it is low enough you can slip the old bump stop out from between the spring coils and put in the new one. Very easy and very quick job. Cutting of the bump stop is not required. You may have to use a deep socket and a hex key together to stop the strut shaft from rotating preventing the nut from coming off, or if you have a good impactor you may not have an issue. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this job on my 2000 S with no issue.

I know this thread is old, but this is a killer pro tip!

luckywilliam 08-05-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Hey Brad, I need to replace my front bumpstops and saw your tip. How do you keep all of the components above the bumpstop together (parts circled in red) to thread the strut shaft back through and reinstall the nut? It doesn't look like these is much space with the spring being so small to do this easily. Appreciate the help, thanks.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1596648734.jpg

lynngarner 09-03-2020 04:44 PM

Can the dust boot be replaced just as easily while you are in there?

Franco 09-10-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks just finished replacing my bump stops as per your instructions, 1 hour total.�� I also noticed that the strut shaft has no resistance easy down and easy up, is this normal thanks?

Gilles 09-10-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco (Post 656011)
Thanks just finished replacing my bump stops as per your instructions, 1 hour total.�� I also noticed that the strut shaft has no resistance easy down and easy up, is this normal thanks?

hmm, how old are your struts (miles)?

JFP in PA 09-10-2023 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco (Post 656011)

No, sound like they are toast.

Franco 09-10-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 656013)
hmm, how old are your struts (miles)?

There’s a little resistance not much and 70000 miles to date, thanks. ��

Franco 09-12-2023 06:04 AM

Anyone else would like to chime in.🤔🤔🤔

tcoradeschi 09-13-2023 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco (Post 656041)
Anyone else would like to chime in.🤔🤔🤔

JFP doesn’t need for any of us amateurs to agree with him.