Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

need to disable immobilizer

first and foremost this is a complete powertrain swap to another car. just purchased a boxster which was in a front collision, title and all. i do not intend to transfer all of the electronics over to the classic vehicle that is receiving the transplant, simply what i need to make this puppy run. only problem is that the immobilizer seems to have been triggered and i want to completely remove it

i dont want to put in a new immobilizer. thats pointless to me.

im talking basics, an engine needs fuel air and spark to run, so if the easiest way is to splice in an ecu from a different model or even brand, thats what i would prefer.

because the vehicle receiving the parts is rather cavernous, i can keep the majority of electronics relatively close together so if i can get it running by jumping wires, screw it lets do it

now lets remember that i already have the car and just need to make it able to run, i dont need responses about what would have been better for a swap or how many other problems ill be facing.

i just need to know how to make it run

it doesnt matter if its going in a rat rod or a go kart or a bus or a blender, how do i absolutely get rid of the need for an immobilizer?

rat_rod_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

sorry i have to be rather blunt. in my experience with forums, asking a simple question usually leads to 13 pages of responses consisting of "i have the same problem has anybody fixed it yet" and or "why do you want to do that you should keep everything factory" and i would really prefer if i just get responses that can actually help.

that being said this is going to be a really cool swap but i need to know that its a running powerplant before i go into anything else
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The key transponder (looks like a pill inside the key fob) + ECU + immobilizer are all programmed at the factory with the same security code. If one of those three components does not communicate with the others OR if the security code isn't the same, the ECU will not allow the engine to operate (the engine won't even turn over).

The bottom line is that there is no way to work around the immobilizer.

I'll say it again so we're perfectly clear: without the proper signal from the immobilizer and key transponder, the ECU will not start the engine. Period.

Why did Porsche design it this way? To stop car thieves from doing exactly what you want to do (remove the immobilizer and still be able to operate the car). Now, I'm not saying that you're a car thief, but if it was easy to work around the theft prevention system, then it wouldn't be a very good theft prevention system.

The easiest solution is to buy a replacement immobilizer and have it programmed to match the key transponder and ECU. Then install all three components in whatever car you like and the engine should run fine. Another option is to buy a replacement matched set (key/immob/ECU). Another option is to use a non-stock ECU (then you won't need the key transponder or immobilizer) but you'll have to pay someone to program it on a dyno. Another option is to find someone who has hacked the ECU to disable the immobilizer function (search under "boxster car thieves" ).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-24-2018 at 03:05 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

Another option, since this sounds like a project, is buy a like year ECU, immobilizer, key, ignition set from eBay or some other dismantler... gotta have all the pieces to make it go, or as Stone said, basically create your own ECU...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 AM   #5

google boxster immobilizer removal -several firms do it .It's not cheap
dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
As the others have replied there is no open knowledge on this forum of how to completely delete the immobilizer. If there was, a bunch of us would be doing it and discussing it.

Cheap and ugly: It can be minimized by still using all the main components and eliminating the rest. Duct tape the DME, CLU, transponder coil & transponder together with a minimized wire harness. Post 79 here shows the minimal wiring for the Central Locking Unit box: https://rennlist.com/forums/spec-boxsters/914070-black-spec-boxster-build-6.html

Expensive, but clean: Pay a shop that has already hacked the DME security, have them reflash your DME. I don't know of any shops that do this, but ECU doctors has a similar service adding a module to replace the immo. Immobilizer Removal for Porsche Boxster ECU DME 0261204605, 0 261 204 605 - Specialized ECU Repair

Good luck and if you have a break through or find a reasonably priced reflash, let us know.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

thank god, somebody with an actual lead! thank you, i will make this happen, you just gave me a bit of direction in a vast sea of people that seem to think the only possible option is factory replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
As the others have replied there is no open knowledge on this forum of how to completely delete the immobilizer. If there was, a bunch of us would be doing it and discussing it.

Cheap and ugly: It can be minimized by still using all the main components and eliminating the rest. Duct tape the DME, CLU, transponder coil & transponder together with a minimized wire harness. Post 79 here shows the minimal wiring for the Central Locking Unit box: https://rennlist.com/forums/spec-boxsters/914070-black-spec-boxster-build-6.html

Expensive, but clean: Pay a shop that has already hacked the DME security, have them reflash your DME. I don't know of any shops that do this, but ECU doctors has a similar service adding a module to replace the immo. Immobilizer Removal for Porsche Boxster ECU DME 0261204605, 0 261 204 605 - Specialized ECU Repair

Good luck and if you have a break through or find a reasonably priced reflash, let us know.