Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Driveshaft bolts sheared off from transaxle

'99 5 spd. So the bolts holding the driver's side driveshaft to the transmission worked their way loose and the driveshaft broke off. My question is on the transmission side of where the driveshaft bolts to. It's the piece with the 6 threaded holes. Can this piece be removed while the transmission is still in the car?

CaryNC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryNC986 View Post
'99 5 spd. So the bolts holding the driver's side driveshaft to the transmission worked their way loose and the driveshaft broke off. My question is on the transmission side of where the driveshaft bolts to. It's the piece with the 6 threaded holes. Can this piece be removed while the transmission is still in the car?
Yes. You will need to drain trans. I would recommend a new seal while ur at it. There is instruction available, but if 2 of the holes opposite each other are still functional then place a flat piece of steel (large screwdriver etc) behind the axle flange to protect the trans and using 2 bolts drive the hub out. There is a steel circlip that will need to be replaced.

This might help. Help identifying Transmission axle flange

Last edited by 911monty; 04-03-2018 at 04:49 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryNC986 View Post
Are the holes intact? Hard to tell in the picture. If they are, and you just need to remove the remains of the bolts, might be easier to just pull the old bolts out. Unless of course, if you are due for new Unicorn blood anyway, then pulling the hub housing might be the better bet.

Last edited by Geof3; 04-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

I had this same thing happen shortly after buy my 986, yes it can be removed and replaced.
garym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #5

I bought a used (Ebay) Flanged Axle Shaft and had my mechanic switch it out. He used new bolts with threadlock torqued to spec. Thanks to all for the responses! Car is running fine now.
CaryNC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #6

Seems like I will be doing this project soon to my 2001 986 6spd.

I think I have removal part down. Place two bolts in flange opposite of each other and screw down to back the flange out of the trans.

What is recommend on how to replace the flange after the seals have been replaced back into the trans?

Brian
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post

I think I have removal part down. Place two bolts in flange opposite of each other and screw down to back the flange out of the trans.

What is recommend on how to replace the flange after the seals have been replaced back into the trans?

Brian
Hello Brian,

I have removed the flanges before by using a thick wooden handle from a hammer wedged between the flange and the transmission case, just ensure that the handle is leveraging on one of the 'ribs' casted on the transmission case as they are much stronger than the 'flat thin walls', you only need enough force to release the circlips that keep the flange into the transmission.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post

Brian
Brian; Place some flat steel between the bolts and case to prevent damage. I used a large dead blow hammer to pop the half shaft back in. As JFP said just make sure the splines are aligned before going full ape with the hammer.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Brian; Place some flat steel between the bolts and case to prevent damage. I used a large dead blow hammer to pop the half shaft back in. As JFP said just make sure the splines are aligned before going full ape with the hammer.
once the splines are aligned, by all means, go full ape

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote