Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 141
Boxster Wiper Blade Replacement

So yesterday I went down to pick up a part for my car, and while I was at the parts counter I decided to get new wiper blades (damn desert heat :P). When I found out they were $60 because you have to replace the WHOLE wiper, not just the blade I was very annoyed. But the very nice guy at the parts counter said he wanted to try something. So he took some new blades for an Audi (it's a Porsche-Audi dealer), pulled the dead ones out of the Boxster's wiper and, after some wiggling, got the new blades in! Near perfect fit, and only $16 for the pair!

All you have to do is cut about half an inch off the end of an Audi blade (one end has a small notch that is not needed by the Porsche rails), put the wiper rails into the groove as normal and feed it into the wiper. It's a tiny bit wider than the Porsche version, so it takes a bit of force to get it in, but they work great and are MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new wiper. I was so happy, I bought myself a set of Porsche-crested valve caps and I was STILL under what the price of the Porsche wipers would be!

__________________
2002 S
Lapis Blue
http://static.flickr.com/54/142552176_c74eeac970_m.jpg
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute
So yesterday I went down to pick up a part for my car, and while I was at the parts counter I decided to get new wiper blades (damn desert heat :P). When I found out they were $60 because you have to replace the WHOLE wiper, not just the blade I was very annoyed. But the very nice guy at the parts counter said he wanted to try something. So he took some new blades for an Audi (it's a Porsche-Audi dealer), pulled the dead ones out of the Boxster's wiper and, after some wiggling, got the new blades in! Near perfect fit, and only $16 for the pair!

All you have to do is cut about half an inch off the end of an Audi blade (one end has a small notch that is not needed by the Porsche rails), put the wiper rails into the groove as normal and feed it into the wiper. It's a tiny bit wider than the Porsche version, so it takes a bit of force to get it in, but they work great and are MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new wiper. I was so happy, I bought myself a set of Porsche-crested valve caps and I was STILL under what the price of the Porsche wipers would be!
DAMN! I went to Checker's and picked up the best wipers they had for around $20.00/ea. They fit perfectly without any modification.
__________________

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
...what the hell does this post have to do with potatoes?
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...what the hell does this post have to do with potatoes?

I've said it before - and I'm going to say it again....

This is the BESTEST Thursday EVER.....

I hereby declare today Tuber Thursday....
__________________

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...what the hell does this post have to do with potatoes?
...what the hell does your post have to do with anything?
__________________
2002 S
Lapis Blue
http://static.flickr.com/54/142552176_c74eeac970_m.jpg
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 874
...what the hell does your post have to do with anything?

Because if you haven't been keeping up with current events, 986forum is no longer a Boxster forum it's now a tater forum.

Danger Danger...Useless Thread

Don't take it personal Wintermute, I picked your post at random to target with my acerbic wit. I didn't mean to impugn your window wiper exposition.
__________________
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ovngk.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/24ow0id.jpg

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...what the hell does this post have to do with potatoes?
Yes, this forum has officially dumbed it down a notch to be on MY level! I love you guys.

And on an unrelated note, I picked up a set (both) wipers (Bosch) at Wally World for around $20.
__________________
.
1997 Honda Accord | V6
2004 BMW 330i | ZHP | SOLD
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,240
I have been told by a couple of my mechanics not to simply replace the rubber edge of a wiper blade. The bow assembly should be replaced as well. So that's what I did. Bought me some Bosch replacements at Autozone. Can't remember what they cost, but they look real nice and the black paint isn't faded like the old ones. Yet another reason to replace the whole assembly when it's time for new blades.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I bought top of the tine "Bosch Mirco Edge Excels" assemblies for around $15 for both from ********************************AZ,they do there job.
They sound like some sort of shaving razor,"Micro Edge Excel".
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...what the hell does your post have to do with anything?

Because if you haven't been keeping up with current events, 986forum is no longer a Boxster forum it's now a tater forum.

Danger Danger...Useless Thread

Don't take it personal Wintermute, I picked your post at random to target with my acerbic wit. I didn't mean to impugn your window wiper exposition.

Ah. I see. Well then...erm...*brain catches fire*

Ouch.
__________________
2002 S
Lapis Blue
http://static.flickr.com/54/142552176_c74eeac970_m.jpg
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have been told by a couple of my mechanics not to simply replace the rubber edge of a wiper blade. The bow assembly should be replaced as well. So that's what I did. Bought me some Bosch replacements at Autozone. Can't remember what they cost, but they look real nice and the black paint isn't faded like the old ones. Yet another reason to replace the whole assembly when it's time for new blades.
Well I can see the argument as pulling the refill out too many times can warp/weaken the actual blade assembly. But I don't think it needs to be done very often, especially when the only thing wrong is the rubber is worn out.

However I had no idea that Bosch made a whole replacement assembly for so cheap. Next time I'll just pick up some of those!

__________________
2002 S
Lapis Blue
http://static.flickr.com/54/142552176_c74eeac970_m.jpg

Last edited by Wintermute; 08-10-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page