986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster Wiper Blade Replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/7022-boxster-wiper-blade-replacement.html)

Wintermute 08-10-2006 08:38 AM

Boxster Wiper Blade Replacement

So yesterday I went down to pick up a part for my car, and while I was at the parts counter I decided to get new wiper blades (damn desert heat :P). When I found out they were $60 because you have to replace the WHOLE wiper, not just the blade I was very annoyed. But the very nice guy at the parts counter said he wanted to try something. So he took some new blades for an Audi (it's a Porsche-Audi dealer), pulled the dead ones out of the Boxster's wiper and, after some wiggling, got the new blades in! Near perfect fit, and only $16 for the pair!

All you have to do is cut about half an inch off the end of an Audi blade (one end has a small notch that is not needed by the Porsche rails), put the wiper rails into the groove as normal and feed it into the wiper. It's a tiny bit wider than the Porsche version, so it takes a bit of force to get it in, but they work great and are MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new wiper. I was so happy, I bought myself a set of Porsche-crested valve caps and I was STILL under what the price of the Porsche wipers would be!

denverpete 08-10-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wintermute
So yesterday I went down to pick up a part for my car, and while I was at the parts counter I decided to get new wiper blades (damn desert heat :P). When I found out they were $60 because you have to replace the WHOLE wiper, not just the blade I was very annoyed. But the very nice guy at the parts counter said he wanted to try something. So he took some new blades for an Audi (it's a Porsche-Audi dealer), pulled the dead ones out of the Boxster's wiper and, after some wiggling, got the new blades in! Near perfect fit, and only $16 for the pair!

All you have to do is cut about half an inch off the end of an Audi blade (one end has a small notch that is not needed by the Porsche rails), put the wiper rails into the groove as normal and feed it into the wiper. It's a tiny bit wider than the Porsche version, so it takes a bit of force to get it in, but they work great and are MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new wiper. I was so happy, I bought myself a set of Porsche-crested valve caps and I was STILL under what the price of the Porsche wipers would be!

DAMN! I went to Checker's and picked up the best wipers they had for around $20.00/ea. They fit perfectly without any modification.

SD987 08-10-2006 08:46 AM

...what the hell does this post have to do with potatoes?

denverpete 08-10-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987

I've said it before - and I'm going to say it again....

This is the BESTEST Thursday EVER.....

I hereby declare today Tuber Thursday....

Wintermute 08-10-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

...what the hell does your post have to do with anything?

SD987 08-10-2006 09:34 AM

Because if you haven't been keeping up with current events, 986forum is no longer a Boxster forum it's now a tater forum.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7016-danger-danger-useless-thread.html

Don't take it personal Wintermute, I picked your post at random to target with my acerbic wit. I didn't mean to impugn your window wiper exposition.

Jeph 08-10-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yes, this forum has officially dumbed it down a notch to be on MY level! I love you guys.

And on an unrelated note, I picked up a set (both) wipers (Bosch) at Wally World for around $20.

RandallNeighbour 08-10-2006 10:47 AM

I have been told by a couple of my mechanics not to simply replace the rubber edge of a wiper blade. The bow assembly should be replaced as well. So that's what I did. Bought me some Bosch replacements at Autozone. Can't remember what they cost, but they look real nice and the black paint isn't faded like the old ones. Yet another reason to replace the whole assembly when it's time for new blades.

blinkwatt 08-10-2006 10:57 AM

I bought top of the tine "Bosch Mirco Edge Excels" assemblies for around $15 for both from ********************************AZ,they do there job.
They sound like some sort of shaving razor,"Micro Edge Excel".

Wintermute 08-10-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Because if you haven't been keeping up with current events, 986forum is no longer a Boxster forum it's now a tater forum.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7016

Don't take it personal Wintermute, I picked your post at random to target with my acerbic wit. I didn't mean to impugn your window wiper exposition.

Ah. I see. Well then...erm...*brain catches fire*

Ouch.

Wintermute 08-10-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have been told by a couple of my mechanics not to simply replace the rubber edge of a wiper blade. The bow assembly should be replaced as well. So that's what I did. Bought me some Bosch replacements at Autozone. Can't remember what they cost, but they look real nice and the black paint isn't faded like the old ones. Yet another reason to replace the whole assembly when it's time for new blades.

Well I can see the argument as pulling the refill out too many times can warp/weaken the actual blade assembly. But I don't think it needs to be done very often, especially when the only thing wrong is the rubber is worn out.

However I had no idea that Bosch made a whole replacement assembly for so cheap. Next time I'll just pick up some of those!