Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
KronixSpeed

Anyone buy an aftermarket warranty.

Has anyone gone with an aftermarket warranty or for that matter a warranty from porsche after factory warranty expired.

I have a 2002 boxster and out of warranty. How many people think that it is important to get a warranty after the factory warranty has expired.

Has anyone bought a warranty and actually had to use it.

I was considering it, but not sure. I do drive hard and do have a history of driving
cars straight into the ground.....lol/jokes

Any information in regards to an after factory warranty help.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

Well, I have the same car you do (mine's an S, not sure about yours but pretty much the same) and my factory warranty just expired in July. I went with the WarrantyDirect SecureCare+ just before it expired. It's what they call an "exclusionary warranty" meaning everything is covered, "excluding" some things like the battery, brake pads, body panels, tires, etc. Since your's is out of warranty, you'll have to get an inspection first. Mine covers 4 years/75k miles and was about $2500. I also added emissions coverage which takes care of those pesky O2 and mass air flow sensors that seem to die all the time :P

I personally think it's worth it, though many disagree. If for nothing else than the peace of mind having the warranty gives. It even covers towing and roadside assistance should you get stranded/need to tow the car to the dealer. Check it out here: http://www.warrantydirect.com

Oh and if you get a plan with a deductible (I got the $100 one), you only pay it once when you take the car in the first time. If subsequent visits are required to fix the problem, or there were mulitple problems on the first visit, you still only pay the deductible ONCE.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #3

Thumbs up

I'll second Warranty Direct, I've had one claim at a independent Porsche mechanic and they covered with no problems.

I have the no deductible. 7/60K coverage (only have 18K, so should last me a while). Everything covered as mentioned, but when I got mine, they did not have the different categories named as they do now.

2000 986
1979 911SC coupe
Raybox is offline   Reply With Quote