Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #1

car won't start - lights flash and window goes up and down

i think my boxster is possessed. either that or it's some electrical or ignition failure.

i drove it today and it was fine. even now, the alarm goes on and off okay. when the ignition key is half-way turned everything works: radio, lights, air.

but when i try to start the car, lights blink everywhere, and the windows go up and down...like the car is possessed. and of course it won't start.

anyone have any idea what this could be? do i need to have it towed to the nearest dealer? (beverly hills or pasadena, for those in LA)

and do you think this'll be something covered by extended warranty or not? i hope it's not a big deal...

hippojam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #2

My car freaked out and it was the ignition switch. I bought it from this guy on e-bay, fast shipping and fixed it myself.
This is a pretty easy fix if this ends up being the problem. You will save 300-400 bucks doing it yourself, I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Porsche-Carrerra-996-Boxster-911-Ignition-Switch-OE_W0QQitemZ250017309837QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33576QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem