Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

Life expectancy of transmission mounts

my '07 CS has reach 99,000 miles and about 4k miles after installing a new clutch and DMFW, my car start having 'clutch chatter' and vibrating when smoothly releasing the clutch, unless you release the clutch a bit on the hard side.

Also you can hear some noises like a really old car suspension squeaking, and last night after a closer inspection, while pushing/pulling around the SpeedArt muffler to see if something was loose, I noticed some movement (up and down) on the passenger side transmission mount with a faint squeaking.

Could this means that the transmission mounts are already worn (after 'only' 100k miles ) even if there is not a single drop of fluid (or 'oil sweat') around the mounts?

I checked the prices for the transmission mounts and are not really that cheap, just wanted to hear your opinion before I order the new mounts (almost $600)

Thank you!

PS: By any chance does someone has any experience with the "Rein Automotive" brand? Supposed to be German made and they cost 1/3 of the Porsche mounts

Last edited by Gilles; 06-02-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
my '07 CS has reach 99,000 miles and about 4k miles after installing a new clutch and DMFW, my car start having 'clutch chatter' and vibrating when smoothly releasing the clutch, unless you release the clutch a bit on the hard side.

Also you can hear some noises like a really old car suspension squeaking, and last night after a closer inspection, while moving around the SpeedArt muffler to see if something was loose, I noticed some movement (up and down) on the passenger side transmission mount with a faint squeaking.

Could this means that the transmission mounts are already worn (after only 100k miles ) even if there is not a single drop of fluid (or 'oil sweat') around the mounts?

I checked the prices for the transmission mounts and are not really that cheap, just wanted to hear your opinion before I order the new mounts (almost $600)

Thank you!
While I hate to say it, "it depends". We have seen the factory mounts go 200K miles without issue on some cars, and fail at 50K miles on others. All depends upon how the car has been used.

Today's money saving trans mount trick: Do not buy the Boxster mounts as they come as an assembly; instead buy the 993 mounts which come as just the exact same oil filled part at about 1/3 the price.....
Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

for half the price get these and never have to replace again ...

Rennline Tunable Semi-Solid Engine Mount (Pair)-Rennline, Inc.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
In my experience the engine mount goes a long time before the gearbox mounts giving the clunky gearchange. You can refurb the gearbox mounts by using poly material instead of the hydraulic piece.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Today's money saving trans mount trick: Do not buy the Boxster mounts as they come as an assembly; instead buy the 993 mounts which come as just the exact same oil filled part at about 1/3 the price.....
Hello JFP,

By any chance do you have the P/N for the 993 transmission mounts?

I have an 07 Cayman S with the 6 speed transmission, and most likely they are the same mounts as the ones on the Boxter S.

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
By any chance do you have the P/N for the 993 transmission mounts?
993-375-049-05

Its listed in the DIY: Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
for half the price get these and never have to replace again ...

Rennline Tunable Semi-Solid Engine Mount (Pair)-Rennline, Inc.
These look great, but I am not sure if their softest setting would produce more vibration than the OEM's

I installed once a front engine mount and ended removing it after a few weeks...
Old 06-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
These look great, but I am not sure if their softest setting would produce more vibration than the OEM's

I installed once a front engine mount and ended removing it after a few weeks...
yeah, can't say. i installed them in the mid (sport) setting and noted a big improvement in shifting. there was also an increase in vibration/noise, but i had installed loud exhaust and removed the insulation around the engine bay at the same time so not certain what the vibration increase was attributable to. oddly enough, just installed the function first yellow (sport) engine mount and didn't experience any noticeable increase in vibration.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
yeah, can't say. i installed them in the mid (sport) setting and noted a big improvement in shifting. there was also an increase in vibration/noise, but i had installed loud exhaust and removed the insulation around the engine bay at the same time so not certain what the vibration increase was attributable to. oddly enough, just installed the function first yellow (sport) engine mount and didn't experience any noticeable increase in vibration.
Radium, how much did the vibration increased with the (mid) sport rubber?

Because according to Rennline the softest rubber "should be..." similar to the OEM mounts (didn't ask) but I am sure that once you install them you cannot return them

However, I had great experiences with Rennline in the past..
Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

noticeable but not major. in a pros/cons analysis, the improvement in shifting far outweighed the increase in vibration. really, was only noticeable when you first started the car; once it was warm vibration was less. girlfriend didnt notice.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

The best price for the 993 part I found is from ********************************Az:
I would have mentioned Pelican but their site seems to be down- again.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

I found the 993 part for $168 each. Part # 99337504905. Just Google+shopping
I would have liked to have linked to our Sponsor's Parts Catalog but their site is down(for me on Firefox- again.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I found the 993 part for $168 each. Part # 99337504905. Just Google+shopping
I would have liked to have linked to our Sponsor's Parts Catalog but their site is down(for me on Firefox- again.
They are $150 each (superseded part number 993-375-049-09) from Sunset Porsche.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They are $150 each (superseded part number 993-375-049-09) from Sunset Porsche.
Thank you Jeff!