Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombomb View Post
Fueling is currently my bottle neck… I’ve still got stock injectors and fuel pump in my build. Which injectors are you running?
I've currently got my air filters sitting in the side ducts, I don't think they'd supply enough air for air to air intercoolers though.

I'm running a cheap 340lph fuel pump and Bosch EV14 550cc injectors. They are OEM fitment on some cars so can be had cheaply. I'm near the limit of the injectors, they are hitting around 85-90% duty cycle.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #302

Thrilled to have gotten mine out for its first successful track day. No major hiccups, car did well. There is so much more in this car, I've barely scratched the surface. This somewhat rusty lap was almost 10 seconds faster than the last video of a lap I have in this track configuration.

https://vimeo.com/594405113/421135d6d2

Last edited by 1thenaton1; 08-29-2021 at 07:15 PM.
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #303

Wow great video, congrats! I love the few seconds with the Corvette in the rear view. Car sounds great too.

So what do you have next on your list? Anything remaining with the swap? More test and tune?
strombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #304

Wow thats super impressive you didn't have a single hiccup
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #305

^, ha, I didn't have any MAJOR hiccups. Of course there were some. You may have seen last month I got the car aligned ahead of a track day and made it exactly one lap before something came loose and ended the day. This event was good by all measurements, but definitely had some things pop up. A bolt on my engine cradle came loose, somehow stayed in place and was able to re-tighten it, but need to figure out why that's happening. In the last session my fuel gauge and engine coolant temp stopped reading correclty, showed lower than true, so I came in a lap early to check. Scanned w Vag-Com, normal readings to the ECU and after cycling the key the cluster showed normal again as well. Tore up a fender liner, need to find some replacements for both fronts.

As far as next steps, definitely more seat time on track and get used to the different setup. Need to get new fender liners, work out a better coolant temp monitoring strategy (likely additional sensor and external gauge), swap in the oil pressure sensor Escy recommended. Have been getting some belt squeal on startup, going to throw in a fresh belt and see if that helps.

Always things to fix/improve. But a successful day is critical in keeping motivated to push forward so thankful to have gotten there
Old 09-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #306

Big thanks to Escy for the post a few pages back on the oil pressure sender; installed today and it works.

Repost for posterity - FACET Oil Pressure Switch 7.0108 fits Audi 4.2 thread pitch and has the correct resistance for the Boxster cluster
Old 09-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #307

Glad it worked for you. I didn't work it out myself, I'm just sharing information. Credit to René Jansen who's doing a V8 swap in the Netherlands, he told me.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #308

Wrapped up my track season with another good day out there, this time on the full and outer circuits which include a very long front straight. Had cool temps and epic scenery after some recent high elevation snow. Ran 2:22 on outer and 3:28 on full on 200tw tires, car is hitting ~137 on the straight vs about 120 with stock motor.

Since last time out I threw on a new/used set of Fikse FM10s, probably 5lbs lighter per corner, and tidy'd up a bunch of interior items, made some basic door cards to cover up the bare metal and make opening/closing doors less of a task.

[IMG]IMG_0241[/IMG]

Here's a short vid of some track footy passing 5 cars on the front straight (click the video title for full screen). Is it more fun than the 2.5 liter? Ya maybe a little

Btwn now and the spring I plan to throw on a new serp belt and hope that eases the squeal i am getting at startup, try to diag O2 sensors which don't seem to save fuel trims, maybe get on the dyno to better understand the engine power, new brakes all around (go figure, new setup eats brakes a little quicker), and work on a better engine cover solution to cut down on cabin fumes. And keep working on this nut behind the wheel.

Last edited by 1thenaton1; 10-18-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #309

Great video! Keeps me motivated to make progress and get mine back on the road. You were really picking up speed on that straight. I love it.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #310

Hey crew,

I’ve recently got my 2.7t swap car running and driving and I’m now in debug and cleanup mode.

Regarding instrumentation… using the Audi ecu connected directly to the Porsche powertrain CANbus, tachometer worked out of the box (Audi and Porsche use the same hex addresses and protocol for tacho). Also, I’ve been able to use an arduino to read ECT via CAN from the Audi ECU, translate, transmit, and successfully control the temp gage in the Porsche cluster.

For my 2003 Boxster… I believe CEL (solid lit and flashing status), the over temp warning light (next to the temp gage), and some others lamps/functions are controlled via CAN. Does anyone have any address data for late 986/996 that could be shared?

I searched the web and have found some limited info… but nothing that solves my problems.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #311

I achieved some of the maintenance items over the winter and kicked some down the road a bit. I did dyno the car this spring, 322 whp 311 torque.

I've had it out on track a few times this year, with no major issues. The way that I had coolant temp spliced from the Audi ECU into the boxster cluster worked, but was not optimal. Being resistance based, it read low on the cluster and the ECU. Not in a problematic way but I wanted to improve it. I added an aftermarket sensor in the coolant pipes from engine to radiators and a gauge for monitoring. It also blocks the Check Engine light!

Have a few more track days this summer/fall that I am looking forward to. Thinking I will add an aftermarket oil temp/pressure gauge in the next offseason.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #312

Wow those are great numbers - a really predictable power band… and congrats on the “reliability”. It’s pretty awesome you’ve gone without major issues.

I need to get my oil temperature hooked up too. I’ve got the Audi oil sump level/temperature sensor characterized using an Arduino… just need to hook up a display/readout at this point.

What tire setup are you running and how do you like it? I’m in the market for more traction and am interested in what you’re using?

I rewatched your track video and love the sound!!
Old 08-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #313

Thanks man. Love the flat torque curve.

Tires I have been running a square setup 255 40 17 Bridgestone RE71r. With those discontinued I have my eye on Falken 660s next, very similar. For a track setup I am glad to be able to rotate tires, although realistically as long as the tires are symmetrical (right to left) it would have the same benefit. Even with camber mods I end up wearing out the outer shoulders but can then switch them side to side.

I think with your setup and wanting to keep the car streetable, I'd look for a wider rear tire. I prefer 17s for the extra sidewall and lower replacement cost, but wheel options in 17x10 are limited. I think you could stuff a 10 wide and 275 or 285 back there and come close to handling 2.7t torque

Make me one of them Arduinos?!?!
Old 09-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #314

For anyone looking for an Audi V8 powered Boxster, I'm selling mine as I am headed overseas.

2003 Boxster S Audi V8 Engine

Priced to sell, have at least $45k into this without my time being accounted for. Half what it would cost you to build yourself.

My loss is your gain - would love to see this car go somewhere it will be raced in anger.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #315

@specboxCO - I've never seen a picture of your car (though have appreciated your many contributions here over the years) and its funny that ours have several similarities (color, wheels, race number referencing engine, others im sure).

I'm curious how you mounted your rear wing and whether you felt that helped on track, and about the accusump setup if you care to share.

Consider sharing your for-sale ad in the "swapped porsche" facebook group, or I can for you if you don't participate over there.