Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #241
Registered User
 
Qingdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Charleston
Posts: 497
If you are making a custom throttle cable attachment I just did some work to an early 00 Ford Escape. They use the same throttle cable end. Should someone need to make custom bracketry for their throttle cable you can use those drive by cable Ford V6 cables.

I just had to make a bracket for my car (although not a V8). It was JUST long enough to work. However, placement on the edelbrock's throttle had to be moved slightly inbound towards the center of movement. (I don't know how to describe what I did LOL)

__________________
'99 supercharged 4.3 chevy Boxsterado
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,135
is titanium dave still making these cradles? I'm considering this but would need to plan ahead.

I'd likely use the ays engine if I could find one with dme and the s6 euro tune.

For people using this, were you able to delete any SAI, EGR, fuel vent valve stuff? My car is track only so I'd like to delete all this crap.

Then I'd use the stock dme to control the body/dash.

seems thats the most common route.

Also, is anyone concerned at how close that oil filter is to the exhaust manifold? No heat shielding?

Finally, how is the oil starvation with this motor?

thanks all.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #243
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
is titanium dave still making these cradles? I'm considering this but would need to plan ahead.

I'd likely use the ays engine if I could find one with dme and the s6 euro tune.

For people using this, were you able to delete any SAI, EGR, fuel vent valve stuff? My car is track only so I'd like to delete all this crap.

Then I'd use the stock dme to control the body/dash.

seems thats the most common route.

Also, is anyone concerned at how close that oil filter is to the exhaust manifold? No heat shielding?

Finally, how is the oil starvation with this motor?

thanks all.
If you want an Audi ecu that has the immobilizer removed and the rear O2 sensors disabled let me know. I have one that I had made for my car but since Iím turboíing it I went stand alone.

Also I ditched the factory oil filter and cooler aetup and installed a remote filter and accusump. If you want to go this route I can show you what I did
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,135
how are you mounting the engine? Do you have a workable cradle design?

Have you looked into oil starvation? I haven't seen many people tracking this engine so google hasn't told me much.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #245
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
how are you mounting the engine? Do you have a workable cradle design?

Have you looked into oil starvation? I haven't seen many people tracking this engine so google hasn't told me much.
I do have an engine cradle that had a fabricator make up. Itís all bolted up and in the car. Seems like itíll work. I didnít modify the car at all (or at least not the bolt the engine up). I used the factory engine mount and location plus a cradle

I have looked into oil starvation and havenít heard anyone mention that it a problem but who knows. The good news is these motors are cheap! There are quite a few racing abzís out there and thereís no mention of it so I guess itís safe?
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #246
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I do have an engine cradle that had a fabricator make up. Itís all bolted up and in the car. Seems like itíll work. I didnít modify the car at all (or at least not the bolt the engine up). I used the factory engine mount and location plus a cradle

I have looked into oil starvation and havenít heard anyone mention that it a problem but who knows. The good news is these motors are cheap! There are quite a few racing abzís out there and thereís no mention of it so I guess itís safe?
With the large oil capacity and the flat pan we don't think there will be any issues. I have tipped the engine so the oil pick up is even lower with my cradle, we will be running an Accsump in our racecar as a belt and suspenders approach.
titaniumdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 100
Audi 4.2L Cradles

I have a few folks interested in getting cradles so I will be make another batch of them in early 2021. Please e-mail me if you want to buy one. Cost will be $980 for the complete kit like I have supplied in the past, this includes a bolt set, front stabilizer bracket and PS pulley delete spacer.

titaniumdave@msn.com
titaniumdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #248
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,135
to bring this up, I've had a hard time finding decent audi v8s in my area. One engine that appears quite similar that has come up is the VW phaeton 4.2 v8, which I have to assume has the same bolt pattern and size as the audi v8, which I'm guessing is mostly identical. There are low mile versions of these motors for cheap and they make 330bhp

Any insight about this motor would be great.

thanks!
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #249
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
to bring this up, I've had a hard time finding decent audi v8s in my area. One engine that appears quite similar that has come up is the VW phaeton 4.2 v8, which I have to assume has the same bolt pattern and size as the audi v8, which I'm guessing is mostly identical. There are low mile versions of these motors for cheap and they make 330bhp

Any insight about this motor would be great.

thanks!
There are subtle differences between the audis and vw V8s, mostly in the internals if I recall correctly. You can find detailed factory manuals on both of them to read more (it's been a while since I've looked at them but I don't recall the specifics). One thing to definitely look at though is whether it is an fsi generation - if it is, it becomes much more difficult of a build because these require factory harness and ecu's to run (unless you are going to run motronic, which is hella expensive). This then complicates other issues such as transmission(phaetons weren't offered in a manual) and other peripherals (factor MAF, sensors, etc). The ecus can be modified (nefmoto is an entire community dedicated to this) but be prepared to dive balls deep if you want any chance of doing it right.

Disclaimer - I don't have any direct experience with these motors. This is just what I learned in researching the swaps a few months back.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, Renegade Stage 1 performance mods complete, more to come
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #250
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
There are subtle differences between the audis and vw V8s, mostly in the internals if I recall correctly. You can find detailed factory manuals on both of them to read more (it's been a while since I've looked at them but I don't recall the specifics). One thing to definitely look at though is whether it is an fsi generation - if it is, it becomes much more difficult of a build because these require factory harness and ecu's to run (unless you are going to run motronic, which is hella expensive). This then complicates other issues such as transmission(phaetons weren't offered in a manual) and other peripherals (factor MAF, sensors, etc). The ecus can be modified (nefmoto is an entire community dedicated to this) but be prepared to dive balls deep if you want any chance of doing it right.

Disclaimer - I don't have any direct experience with these motors. This is just what I learned in researching the swaps a few months back.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. This is not the fsi motor, i believe its a standard 40v audi unit with the me7.1.1 computer. Not sure about the intake srage count but i understand the tranny should bolt up. Not sure where people are finding good cheap audi motors.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:37 AM   #251
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Thanks. This is not the fsi motor, i believe its a standard 40v audi unit with the me7.1.1 computer. Not sure about the intake srage count but i understand the tranny should bolt up. Not sure where people are finding good cheap audi motors.
The audis are coming from eBay. An ABZ can be found for$500-600 pretty easily.

Btw, the main drawback of the 40v was the chain tensioner system for the timing chain. As with our ims, they are the achilles heel of the motor. They are an expensive fix though, even with the motor already out of the car.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, Renegade Stage 1 performance mods complete, more to come
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...

Last edited by ike84; 03-05-2021 at 04:40 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #252
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
The audis are coming from eBay. An ABZ can be found for$500-600 pretty easily.

Btw, the main drawback of the 40v was the chain tensioner system for the timing chain. As with our ims, they are the achilles heel of the motor. They are an expensive fix though, even with the motor already out of the car.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
This is a belt driven 40v.

My plan, thus far is this:

TI dave cradle
phaeton V8
2001 A6 ECU with Immo off and s6 tune
Stock motronic for dash only
986 5 speed with drilled vss hole and 2mm spacer
No AC and electric powersteering.

Since I have a 99, I'm wondering what to do about my return style fuel system? I guess I could just run the feed line and cap the return near the tank?

Also, the 40v come with this goofy built in oil/coolant heat exchanger/oil filter thing. I'd like to delete that mess and just run an external oil cooler and filter. Anybody tackle that? Doesn't seem to be an off the shelf solution for the later v8s.

Thanks all. I'm getting more amped about this project.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #253
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 978
I posted this on an Audi forum with no luck and can't find the info any where else. Long shot on this thread but do any of you Audi V8 guys know where the Audi brake booster vacuum port is on the intake manifold?
__________________
1997 Boxster 4.2L Audi V8 Bi-Turbo
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #254
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
This is a belt driven 40v.

My plan, thus far is this:

TI dave cradle
phaeton V8
2001 A6 ECU with Immo off and s6 tune
Stock motronic for dash only
986 5 speed with drilled vss hole and 2mm spacer
No AC and electric powersteering.

Since I have a 99, I'm wondering what to do about my return style fuel system? I guess I could just run the feed line and cap the return near the tank?

Also, the 40v come with this goofy built in oil/coolant heat exchanger/oil filter thing. I'd like to delete that mess and just run an external oil cooler and filter. Anybody tackle that? Doesn't seem to be an off the shelf solution for the later v8s.

Thanks all. I'm getting more amped about this project.
In order to run TI Dave's cradle, you'll need to run the A6/S6 style engine mount brackets, which include the oil cooler/ oil filter housing. The A8/S8 mounts will not work.

The 4.2 engines in the A6/S6 run a return style fuel system with a 4 bar FPR on the fuel rail, you should probably keep the return style fuel system.

Update on my side, I have about 15 hrs into the wiring and think i have most of it sorted. Communicated with the Audi ECU via VCDS last session and hoping for a first start soon.
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #255
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 85
Got mine started!

Having some trouble getting the tach sorted. My car is a '98 so no CAN. Can anyone confirm where the cluster gets tach signal? My notes say pin 15.

I have the Bosch crank position sensor sending info to this spot but it's not moving the tach. Anyone dealt with this successfully?

Thanks
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #256
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,590
Garage
I'm pretty sure that the tach signal is not from the sensor, but converted within the ECU. On the 7.2 ECU it is, but I don't have any reference handy for a '98/2.5L harness. There was some discussion with the LS swaps between John and VLad using a converter. Some of that is here: V8 Conversion

If I remember and have time, I'll track it down for you.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #257
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,590
Garage
From the 986 Factory Service Manual, Audi A6 (C5) Bentley and a few old spreadsheets I made, here's a simplified diagram:


That's from the 1998 Boxster and 40 valve AWN engine A6. The 32 valve V8s will have a different ECM pinout, but I have that filed somewhere too if it's needed.
That same signal should also be run to pin 9 of the OBD port.

I have not tried it yet. I'm curious if the signal output by the Audi ECM is identical to the one put out by the Boxster's DME. I expect that it will work and not make smoke come out of the cluster.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #258
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 85
Thanks so much for that info. Your link above sent me in the direction of signal modifiers for tachs and think that may be the ticket, using the signal at a coil pack translated into what the cluster needs to see for RPM.

The Audi ECU that I'm running (2002 S8) sends tach signal to its cluster by CAN, and the 98 Porsche cluster does not use CAN.
[addit] Sending the Audi ECU signal (CAN) to the newer 986 cluster works straight away, confirmed by others using newer 986s for the swap. I am next going to try a tach adapter to see if I can match what the older 986 cluster expects to see for tach signal [addit]

I'll post after giving this a shot. Cheers

Last edited by 1thenaton1; 05-17-2021 at 08:26 PM.
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #259
Registered User
 
strombomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 27
Any progress on V8 engine swap options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Thanks so much for that info. Your link above sent me in the direction of signal modifiers for tachs and think that may be the ticket, using the signal at a coil pack translated into what the cluster needs to see for RPM.



The Audi ECU that I'm running (2002 S8) sends tach signal to its cluster by CAN, and the 98 Porsche cluster does not use CAN.

[addit] Sending the Audi ECU signal (CAN) to the newer 986 cluster works straight away, confirmed by others using newer 986s for the swap. I am next going to try a tach adapter to see if I can match what the older 986 cluster expects to see for tach signal [addit]



I'll post after giving this a shot. Cheers




There is also some good info here (link below) regarding providing an early 986 cluster with usable speedo & tach signals.



http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=240315



Iím in the process of putting an Audi 2.7t into a late 986 (with CAN). On my bench setup with a spare cluster, Iíve got engine coolant temp, speedo, and tach working over CAN... but canít yet control warning lights (CEL, coolant alarms, low fuel, etc). This info is out there for 987/997, but I canít find anything that works for 986/996. Does anyone have info on controlling the various warning lamps via CAN on the 986/996 cluster?



Also, hereís a pic to keep the thread interesting. For anyone familiar with Audi 2.7t, this should raise some eyebrows.




Last edited by strombomb; 05-28-2021 at 10:58 AM.
strombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #260
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 85
Thanks Strombomb for that link. I'd actually also stumbled on that page and think it explains why my recent attempt at using tach-adapt did not bear fruit - The early boxster cluster tach being powered and essentially wanting a pulsed ground signal. I am looking for a tach adapter that will provide that kind of signal modification.

But for now, I drove the car home! A joyous and maybe frightening experience but made it.

As a stop gap I am using Torque app to monitor RPM and coolant temp. It's not a great long term solution so will continue trying to figure out this tach, or maybe add a aftermarket physical gauge.

1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2023 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page