View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #259
strombomb

Any progress on V8 engine swap options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Thanks so much for that info. Your link above sent me in the direction of signal modifiers for tachs and think that may be the ticket, using the signal at a coil pack translated into what the cluster needs to see for RPM.

The Audi ECU that I'm running (2002 S8) sends tach signal to its cluster by CAN, and the 98 Porsche cluster does not use CAN.

[addit] Sending the Audi ECU signal (CAN) to the newer 986 cluster works straight away, confirmed by others using newer 986s for the swap. I am next going to try a tach adapter to see if I can match what the older 986 cluster expects to see for tach signal [addit]

I'll post after giving this a shot. Cheers

There is also some good info here (link below) regarding providing an early 986 cluster with usable speedo & tach signals.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=240315

I’m in the process of putting an Audi 2.7t into a late 986 (with CAN). On my bench setup with a spare cluster, I’ve got engine coolant temp, speedo, and tach working over CAN... but can’t yet control warning lights (CEL, coolant alarms, low fuel, etc). This info is out there for 987/997, but I can’t find anything that works for 986/996. Does anyone have info on controlling the various warning lamps via CAN on the 986/996 cluster?

Also, here’s a pic to keep the thread interesting. For anyone familiar with Audi 2.7t, this should raise some eyebrows.

Last edited by strombomb; 05-28-2021 at 09:58 AM.
strombomb is offline   Reply With Quote