Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #21

Garage
Key update

For anybody still hanging on for dramatic details about solving my locking problem:

The Porsche dealer suggested we order a new key stipulated to the VIN and see what happens. Knowing it was a gamble ($130+) I did it, hoping it would work in one or the other door lock to allow me to lock the car, or otherwise shed some light into the mysterious past of this car. The key came and was worthless- didn't resemble the ignition key or work in a door or the storage compartment. When I was asking about next possible steps, the service guy said there was no way to reverse-engineer a key from an existing lock. Fortunately, he was wrong. He recommended one shop that had done quality locksmithing for them so I went there. They couldn't do anything for me but recommended another outfit, who also could only recommend a third place, which did the trick. A guy named Tom at General Lock 2414 W. Fulton, Chicago (773) 545-5625 had skills and an expensive key cutting machine.

He had a tool meant for picking Volkswagen locks but worked on the '99 Boxster. He was able to pick the door lock and as he backed his picker out in increments, he could read a gauge on it that told him, in numbers 1-4, the relative positions of the contours of the path cut into the key. I wrote down the numbers as he deciphered them, we went in and put a blank in the machine and punched the numbers in and cut a new key. Hallelujah, it worked, and not only on one door, but both doors and the storage compartment.

So, all three locks had been changed at some point. Porsche told me to set aside $1,000 to $1,500 to end up with two remotes with two keys that both unlock the doors and work in the locks and the ignition, but I don't have to go that far. I now have two mechanical keys to lock the car and to get in the car if the battery dies. I have one working ignition key with an empty clicker. I have to get one more ignition key with a transponder pill, and I want two remotes to get into the car.

It looks like I can get keys with remotes online for about $150, then have the one key cut to match the existing one at the Chicago locksmith*. Then I can have the transponder pill for the new key coded at Porsche, and have the two remotes programmed to the car.

*I can't tell from the listings if the remote key fobs have the transponder pills. And I see that I can buy them separately for a few dollars. Not sure if I need to buy the transponder pills separately or not.

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #22

Garage
Glad it worked out!!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #23

I've been dealing with the same problem and now i can safely say the best idea would be to find a good locksmith. a GOOD! locksmith. So far a friend of mine helped me (he works as a locksmith in Toronto => website). You just want to find a locksmith that have wires and makes keys for a Porsche. I had paid a 100$ or so two years ago.
JamesBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #24

You can permanently install the transponder pill in rubber sorround for the key lock. then any proper cut key key will start the car.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #25

door won"t open!

Big problem! I detrimed my 02 boxster today and the passenger door locked when I (Detrimed for new paint ) drivers door works ok but I cant open the passenger door from the inside or outside. I plugged up the micro switches on the door but it seems like the electronic switch is jambed. wont move at all. how can I open the door at all!?

Tank is offline   Reply With Quote