Thread: Hi.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
That986

Hi.

Hi,

Just thought i'd introduce myself and the car I got a couple of months back now. My name is Darren and I've had a fair amount of cars (including a show beetle) but this is my first foray in to Porsche territory. I plumped for an early S as I like that they're unsullied by a lot of electronics, I want a car to actually drive so I ended up with a 2000 3.2 S with black on black on carrera 5 spoke alloys, manual, no psm. It came fully stamped up and on initial inspection it seemed like a good honest car, it wasn't.

The first signs were after a week or so the temp light started flashing. I did the usual bleed and refill and that seemed to cure it but that was the start. I have an old friend called Kurt who runs Black Country Porsche and I booked the car in to him for the suspension looking at and to give it a proper look over but the week before it was to go there the water pump completely failed so it ended up on a lowloader all the way from London to the black country.

When Kurt gave it the once over the diagnosis wasn't good, it had a host of parts that needed changing including the oil filler pipe, throttle body cleaning, parts of the intake were leaking, the front coffin arms, both ends arb bushes, the list went on. But after a few quid and some elbow grease it was back and sporting OE 18" twists from a 996 after the 5 spokes were found to be reps and 2 were buckled badly.

After the drive back it was apparent that it was now a different car, far more capable than before and a lot quicker but the exhaust had now developed a rattle. A bit of tapping later and yep, one of the cats has started to die, so off to Style Dynamics for a new custom stainless manifold back system that sounds like Thor himself gargling, it's brilliant.

The car is currently at S6 wraps being wrapped in a satin black and having the wheels refurbed in black with new Avon ZZ5 tyres after not one but 2 decided they preferred nails in them. I pick it up later and then to test drive.

All this done since the middle of July with fate having a helping hand all the way. Hopefully (fingers crossed) that's it for the time being, i'd love to put an up to date double din head unit in but that will have to wait for now. The forum looks like a great place for info so i look forward to being around here for a while.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote