Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Garage
Oil Pressure

What oil pressure should you get in a 2.7 Boxster. I installed an accusump. As part of the kit I added a pressure gauge. It is in a fittinng on the outlet side of the oil filter. I took a 20 mile spin to watch the pressure and get an idea what would be normal. It's all over the place 25-75. I had expected a fairly stable 50 to 60 PSI.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Garage
It can range from 100psi at cold start down to 10-15psi when hot.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

Garage
Maybe that's why they don't put oil pressure gauges in them form new.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

jsceash...
Just think about it - you have oil pump(s) fixed & mechanically connected to the engine crank / cams - the higher the revs, the greater the pressure and flow - up to the factory set oil pump blow off point.
What you are seeing is 25 (I assume pounds per square inch) @ idle and 75 @ +4000 rpm.

The only other variables are the engine oil temperature (thicker when cold = higher pressure) and oil viscosity, 5W30 grade oil has a higher flowrate but lower pressure than (say) 20W50 grade @ normal operating temperatures.....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Yes, oil pressure is RPM dependant (and temperature). IIRC the generally recommended minimum is ~10 Psi per 1,000 RPM, Hot.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

Bumping this old thread, now that you have had this gauge installed for a while, have you ever recorded it, or captured it in frame, while you were driving on the track?

Since you are taking the pressure reading at the oil filter sandwich adapter I expect you are seeing it around 10-12 PSI higher than what I see, since I pick up the oil pressure at the stock oil pressure switch location at the front side of the right valve cover. Once I get the car good and warmed up on track, I see around 40-45 PSI there when I am at steady state driving with the oil around 210-220F. I am guessing that you see between 50-55 PSI unless you are at low revs? And in that case it is rising and falling. When the car is cold mine is pegged at around 60-65, hard to tell since the lines on the gauge are very close together at the top of the range.

If you have interior video footage that captures the gauge, I would love to see it.

Thanks!

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote