Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Can I just replace my clutch?

So the other day I was on the highway and while trying to downshift, I couldn't get into 2nd or 1st. After exiting and parking I realized I couldn't get into reverse either and had my baby towed to the shop...where they gave me this estimate.

The thing that bothers me is the RO says "most likely transmission damaged", giving the impression they're not sure and didn't even inspect the vehicle. I was under the impression that all I needed to replace was the clutch. I'm not really sure what to do and would love some advice and direction.

Thank you all for reading. And here's a picture of my 986.

Spaceflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I would have another shop look at the car

IMHO, it could be the clutch, or could be the transmission as well

Can you get it in any gear?
What about if the car is not running, can you put it in any gear?

As far as replacing the flywheel, it could or could or could not need to be replaced
many feel it's a "while you are in there"replacement, same with the IMSB

Unfortunately the only way to check the flywheel is to drop the trans

BTW, a Sachs clutch kit is around $325-$400
labor seems about correct other than the extra $325 labor for the IMSB as they have already charged you to drop and install the trans. A little extra for the IMSB install time is fair, but over 1/3 the cost to drop and reinstall the trans with a clutch replacement??

I recently paid $500 labor to have a new clutch and flywheel installed
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 09-15-2016 at 01:27 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

yes, after I realized I couldn't downshift I was still able to drive the car using 3rd, 4th, and 5th to get off the highway. After parking with the keys out and checking, the gear doesn't engage 1st, 2nd or reverse. The car runs if I start it up. Everything functions normal except not being able to get into those 3 gears. I don't mind replacing the flywheel and the clutch together. The scary part is getting a new transmission. If I could just do those two I'd get it done today. Thank you for your help and advice. I most likely will have another shop that specializes in Porsche take a look at it.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
You can also get the trans rebuilt if it is bad
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Great tip JayG. I actually went into Porsche today and spoke to someone in parts as well as service. They told me that they don't offer new transmissions for my 2002 986, after looking at my VIN, and the only route through them would be a rebuild. They would replace whats needed and salvage what's still good. So now the question arises, where is the new Manual Transmission that the shop I took my car to coming from if Porsche doesn't offer one? They never expressed or offered rebuild as a method the way Porsche did. I should really invest in some Auto classes.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Ben-Auto-Design

If you are only lock out of 1/2 and reverse but can go in other gears, there is a problem with the transmission.

It's weird that they have the flywheel cheaper than the clutch kit.

replacing the flywheel when you install a new clutch is better, because you can't resurface a dual mass flywheel. I don't think they would take the risk of changing the clutch only.

For the transmission, just ask them.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

If you read their estimate closely, it says they were able to get it into 2nd and reverse, albeit with difficulty.

I assume it's a five speed based on your picture of the seemingly base-model boxster it came off of?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I would seriously recheck the linkage at the trans end as well as at the shifter. Loose or disconnected linkage can exhibit exactly what you are experiencing. Things are hard to get at the back end but well worth the time and effort vs replacing or rebuilding the trans. Try shifting the linkage at the trans end by hand and see what goes/doesn't go. Check the cable sheath mountings as well as the actual cable end connectors

This doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me since you are getting into 3,4 5.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #9

Problem is 1,2,R - good chance it is just the shift mechanism. Easy to test. Detach the cables from the side of the transmission .Manually select 1,2 or R .Start car.I bet it drives just normally !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

Hello,

what model year is your car? From the picture i would say it's a 2.5 5-speed.

A good. profound and correct diagnose will always take some time and may in my opinion cost some money. I think they told you just the worst case scenario.

I would bring it to 986 experienced shop.

I don't think it's the clutch. If a master cylinder or clutch completely fails in general you're not able to engage any gear.

Also a DMF (dual mass flywheel) would not cause that.

It can be an gearbox problem, because 1 and 2 are internally on one shift linkage. But if it is really a gearbox problem i first would check if it is an easy repair or if it is useful to put in a used one.

Shift mechanism could also cause the problem.

But all these decisions can be done if you have a proper diagnosis, which might cost some money.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 09-15-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

In my humble opinion, the shop gave you the "easy" and "safe" estimate" which is basically to replace everything regardless of what component failed.

My problem with this approach is that any of us here on the Forum could have easily provided the same estimate without ever having seen or inspected your car (just replace everything!).

Anyone (even an idiot like me) can throw parts at a problem - or in this case, throw all of the parts at the problem at once! So it peeves me when shops do this.

A big part of why you pay a shop $100/hour labor is because we assume that they have the experience and expertise to NOT have to throw parts at a problem. They are assumed to know how to properly diagnose and find the exact issue and recommend only the needed parts and labor. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be charging $100/hr.

Now, I understand that the shop may have to spend some time to get to an exact diagnosis; if they can do this for free, that's great. If not, they have the responsibility to inform the customer that its going to cost $XXX for diagnosis up front. But in the end, they have a responsibility to provide a firm diagnosis and not just recommend replacing everything.

With this being said, I would find a different shop who will investigate the problem and provide a meaningful diagnosis and estimate of the repairs.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-16-2016 at 06:04 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
Mig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Problem is 1,2,R - good chance it is just the shift mechanism. Easy to test. Detach the cables from the side of the transmission .Manually select 1,2 or R .Start car.I bet it drives just normally !
Excellent piece of advice. Also get a second opinion. That's a huge chunk of cash.

Mig is offline   Reply With Quote