Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

vacuum line question

I removed and put the passenger side Intake back and I have following questions/clarifications:

- Pressure regulator: What does the thin plastic (black) vacuum line coming out of the Fuel pressure regulator connect to? Does this connect to the Secondary Air Injection Check Valve (plastic black and white)?
- There is a small short rubber hose coming out of the hydraulic fluid reservoir, does this need to connect to anything or supposed to be a vent hose?

Thank you in advanced !!!

chamilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The short tube coming from the hydraulic fluid reservoir (Power Steering Reservoir) is a vent and should be open and facing downward.

The vacuum lines vary slightly over the years and between tiptronic and manual. I'm not sure of the tube you are talking about without a picture or diagram. This may help: (from a 996)

Here's a 996 thread it was posted in and the discussion may help:
air intake/vacuum line routing - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Our engines have basically the same vacuum set-up.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

78F350 - Thank you so much!!
chamilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamilka View Post
I removed and put the passenger side Intake back and I have following questions/clarifications:

- Pressure regulator: What does the thin plastic (black) vacuum line coming out of the Fuel pressure regulator connect to? Does this connect to the Secondary Air Injection Check Valve (plastic black and white)?
- There is a small short rubber hose coming out of the hydraulic fluid reservoir, does this need to connect to anything or supposed to be a vent hose?

Thank you in advanced !!!
Funny I'm actually making a vacuum guide due to the incontinences of information on here. I take it your talking about the regulator (C) on the fuel rail line. That goes to rear intake rubber sleeve (B).

The check valve (H) plugs into (L) which will also be a rear sleeve. I have seen people mix these up and put them on the plenum instead. Both sleeves with the hole/fitting nipple on them belong on the rear. One faces up and the other faces down. I have also seen the check valve in diagrams being attached to a hose going into the sleeve. On the 2.7 it goes straight into the sleeve.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Going through troubleshooting this myself. I accidentally connected the check valve (H) onto the resonance flapper valve on the rear intake manifold crossover tube. Will have to change it, but now don't know which hose connects to the resonance flapper valve. Also, does anyone know where (E) is located? I pulled on the hose that connects to it, but can't find where it goes. Feel like I'd have a much easier time seeing everything with the intake manifold off, but don't know where to start with that.
Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok986 View Post
...Will have to change it, but now don't know which hose connects to the resonance flapper valve.
Starting from the vacuum reservoir: Connect to electric change-over valve "J", then to the flapper valve. The Y "I" in the diagram will only be present if you have a Tiptronic.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know where (E) is located? ...
"E" is located behind the Alternator.

Check out my video in this thread to see "E".
Vacuum Confusion -SOLVED
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #7

Vacuum system diy for Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Funny I'm actually making a vacuum guide due to the incontinences of information on here.
Subscribed !
Thanks for doing this.
There is a great video linked below .78F350 Starting from the vacuum
It would be very useful if you could build on that and add more.
One particular issue is replacing old, brittle vacuum lines.What are the specs for the individual sizes? Is there a better material and are there better connectors ? Tracing these lines over a dirty engine is tedious - different color than black may help. I used a paint pen to put fluorescent green dots on some .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A731OcZVGTI

Last edited by Gelbster; 09-18-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Subscribed !
Thanks for doing this.
There is a great video linked below .78F350 Starting from the vacuum
It would be very useful if you could build on that and add more.
One particular issue is replacing old, brittle vacuum lines.What are the specs for the individual sizes? Is there a better material and are there better connectors ? Tracing these lines over a dirty engine is tedious - different color than black may help. I used a paint pen to put fluorescent green dots on some .
Standard rubber hose from your auto supplier will work. What started with one loose line I found, ended up being three disconnected lines. If they are brittle, replace them. Its easier if your remove the sleeves and the throttle body.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

"Standard rubber hose from your auto supplier will work. What started with one loose line I found, ended up being three disconnected lines. If they are brittle, replace them. Its easier if your remove the sleeves and the throttle body. "

Rubber? Do you mean Buna N ? I was looking for Viton or thick wall silicone for the connectors and an upgrade to the small diameter hard/brittle nylon(?) lines.

Last edited by Gelbster; 09-06-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #10

[QUOTE=78F350;509073]Starting from the vacuum reservoir: Connect to electric change-over valve "J", then to the flapper valve. The Y "I" in the diagram will only be present if you have a Tiptronic.

Thanks! I will take another look. Do I have to remove the alternator to be able to access "E"?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Rok986;509173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Starting from the vacuum reservoir: Connect to electric change-over valve "J", then to the flapper valve. The Y "I" in the diagram will only be present if you have a Tiptronic.

Thanks! I will take another look. Do I have to remove the alternator to be able to access "E"?
Nope, it connects to the bottom of D
Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Nope, it connects to the bottom of D
What question is that the answer to?

Quote:
Do I have to remove the alternator to be able to access "E"?
You can probably reach it from the top if you take the resonance tube off, I'm not sure that would be easier. For me it's easiest to take the alternator out.
Renntech is usually pretty good for this stuff. Check this out for another perspective:
Help Replacing the Electronic Change Over Valve - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community
Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
What question is that the answer to?

You can probably reach it from the top if you take the resonance tube off, I'm not sure that would be easier. For me it's easiest to take the alternator out.
Renntech is usually pretty good for this stuff. Check this out for another perspective:
Help Replacing the Electronic Change Over Valve - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community
Awesome, thanks for the link! Haven't really gone on Renntech.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

I don't have a tip. I just did all my vacumm hoses. I ended up removing my intake plenum though