Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #21

Sway bar: the only thing i can say is interesting point of view.

What do you mean with racing? A race track with top speeds above 160 mph/h or a typical US race court on a parking lot?

Sorry, but there might be different approaches what racing might mean. I don't mean that in a bad way. But if i'm on the Nürburgring i would never had the idea to disconnect the rear sway bar, because that will lead me into massive trouble, because the inner wheel won't be controlled.

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #22

Steve said he was at Roebling which is a real race track with a long history of club sports car racing. It also has a very long front straight where most cars run completely out of Hp trying to push air out of the way. I have run this track many times in a Lola S2000 car as well as my 986 S but I can't say what speed, as I don't look down much heading into turn 1 there.

I will avoid a useless internet debate over the application of sway bars.

Steve: if you send me data on your spring rates, and corner weights if you have the data (if not, I can use mine), I have some computer models that calculate natural frequency and ideal damping rates based on our cars geometry that I can send you.

I'm not sure about the ride height data that you gave, but I am guessing that it was measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. If so, the tire OD has a direct influence on the measurement, so that makes it hard to compare data, but I'm guessing that your ride heights are too low. One problem with running the ride heights too low on these cars is that the low control arm goes over horizontal, at which point you start to loose camber with increasing suspension compression. It is best not to go much below the OEM ride height on these cars.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #23

Garage
What tires are you running? -3.2 is allot of - Chamber for on street tires. Your stance is pretty low from your picture. Are you bottoming out your struts?

I'm running same struts at the max setting and -2.5 in the front on tight tracks -1.5 front on fast tracks -2 rear 0 toe. 15 mm wheel spacers front 7 mm wheel spacer rear. 4" clearance from the body weld behind the front tire to the ground. 4.25" to the rear braces to the ground at the front edge of the inner rear wheel well. GT3 arm front and rear no spacers front, 6mm spacer rear. 235 40 18 front 275 35 18 rear

On RS3 tires I get push front. I can improve a little by adjusting rear toe link out 1 to 2 flats. (Negative rear toe) On Z214 the car is pretty neutral. On NT01 the car is a little loose in the rear if I accelerate to hard in the middle, and I have to play with the pedal until past the apex.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 05-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #24

I'm home safely, there is a lot of good info here and i will reply more tomorrow. I think I just made too big of a change, and need to dial the change back down.

I figured they were too low but they looked so good
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #25
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Sway bar: the only thing i can say is interesting point of view.

What do you mean with racing? A race track with top speeds above 160 mph/h or a typical US race court on a parking lot?

Sorry, but there might be different approaches what racing might mean. I don't mean that in a bad way. But if i'm on the Nürburgring i would never had the idea to disconnect the rear sway bar, because that will lead me into massive trouble, because the inner wheel won't be controlled.

Regards, Markus
I'm not sure what you mean by the inner rear wheel not being controlled. A sway bar links the two sides of the suspension together, increasing roll stiffness, which ultimately reduces grip on that end of the car.

I don't want to argue with you, I'm just giving my experience. By racing, I meant wheel-to-wheel sports car racing on closed circuits. It's irrelevant to this discussion, but I've been up to 154 mph, which is just short of 250 kph on a straightaway.

Steve, I think LAP1DOUG is right, now that you posted a picture of your car, it does look like the ride height is very low. You should take him up on his offer to check the data on your spring rates and see what he says. It sounds as if he has a ton of experience, it'd be smart to take advantage of that.

I've found that a good way to keep track of ride height is to measure from the wheel hub center to the top of the wheel arch, that way different tire heights don't affect your measurements.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #26
Track rat

Garage
A few thoughts:

You have made a lot of changes to your suspension but never had a pro look over your setup and make final tuning and corner balance adjustments? Maybe it is time.

I ride right seat in a lot of different cars with a lot of different drivers at the race track. The best handling cars always have a pro setup even if it is a mild build. The worst setups by far are DIY by enthusiastic drivers with little or no suspension experience. Several have been damn dangerous and ended their day early before backing into a wall or armco at 150mph.

There are just way too many variables and unknown unknowns to solve this issue on a car forum. Math and measurement is required. I suggest you find the best Porsche setup guy in your area and drop off your car for assessment and recommendations. The result will be quick and certain to get the numbers right. It will cost you some $$ but a lot less than a car write off I am sure.

Good luck with your car development.

PS: Markus, disconnecting the rear sway is a common tactic for racing in the rain to regain an element of control through standing water. It has resulted in many class wins along with proper rain tires under nearly un-driveable wet conditions. It will not cause any loss of rear wheel control so I suspect you are simply confused by the terminology. If you must disconnect it on a perfectly dry day to gain control of the car, you have a serious setup issue that must be addressed.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #27

Hello Topless,

thanks for clarification. Might work in wet on lower speeds and with a non aggressive driving style.

But i have some major worries on high speed corners (above 160 mph) in combination with load alternation, bumps on dry tar with slicks and a rear wheel driven car. I can only say that there are situations where it can be dangerous to not have a linkage between wheels, because you will loose the rear axle within milliseconds and don't have a chance to get the car back.

So if you're an experienced race driver or race mechanic with long experience on your car and you know what you are doing and your overall suspension setup is OK, that might work for specific situations. But i wouldn't give such tips without a warning, because in that case the impact will be hard.

Hello Racer Boy,

sorry, i don't wanted to be rude or argue with somebody. I would recommend to go in detail about suspension physics. I don't won't to do it on an internet forum, because it's really complex and because it can be misleading. There are really many parameters and aspects to go into. That won't be a post, that would be a book to write.

Hello steved0x,

it's nice to have a good looking car. But good looking doesn't always mean that it's also fast.

I would go with Toplees. Look for a shop that has experience in race suspension setups. And if they are experienced in Porsches and the K-Sports suspension too this will be a big plus. I know that such a setup costs a lot of money. But i think itÄs worth it and also you have the chance to a lot of questions.

Also i would recommend to read some good books about suspension setups or race cars technology in general. A good one, which is easy to understand if you have some math and physics knowledge might be M. Trzesniowski, Rennwagentechnik. It gives an overall view on race cars. Don't know if it's avaiiable in english language. But i'm pretty shure there are other good ones out there in english language.

Always take care, always safety first.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 05-02-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Steve said he was at Roebling which is a real race track with a long history of club sports car racing. It also has a very long front straight where most cars run completely out of Hp trying to push air out of the way. I have run this track many times in a Lola S2000 car as well as my 986 S but I can't say what speed, as I don't look down much heading into turn 1 there.
For me at RRR my top speed on the front straight is 121-123 MPH, most of the back side of the course is 60-95. I don't look either, but I see it on my videos after when I watch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Steve: if you send me data on your spring rates, and corner weights if you have the data (if not, I can use mine), I have some computer models that calculate natural frequency and ideal damping rates based on our cars geometry that I can send you.

I'm not sure about the ride height data that you gave, but I am guessing that it was measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. If so, the tire OD has a direct influence on the measurement, so that makes it hard to compare data, but I'm guessing that your ride heights are too low. One problem with running the ride heights too low on these cars is that the low control arm goes over horizontal, at which point you start to loose camber with increasing suspension compression. It is best not to go much below the OEM ride height on these cars.
Heights were measured just as you said, from the arch of the fender down to the ground passing through the wheel center cap. I'll send you the tire sizes, corner weights, and spring rates. Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
What tires are you running? -3.2 is allot of - Chamber for on street tires. Your stance is pretty low from your picture. Are you bottoming out your struts?

I'm running same struts at the max setting and -2.5 in the front on tight tracks -1.5 front on fast tracks -2 rear 0 toe. 15 mm wheel spacers front 7 mm wheel spacer rear. 4" clearance from the body weld behind the front tire to the ground. 4.25" to the rear braces to the ground at the front edge of the inner rear wheel well. GT3 arm front and rear no spacers front, 6mm spacer rear. 235 40 18 front 275 35 18 rear

On RS3 tires I get push front. I can improve a little by adjusting rear toe link out 1 to 2 flats. (Negative rear toe) On Z214 the car is pretty neutral. On NT01 the car is a little loose in the rear if I accelerate to hard in the middle, and I have to play with the pedal until past the apex.
I am on RS-3, I agree that is a lot of camber. The way I had installed everything that is the minimum I could get I definitely have more adjustments to make Thank you for sharing your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
A few thoughts:

You have made a lot of changes to your suspension but never had a pro look over your setup and make final tuning and corner balance adjustments? Maybe it is time.
Yes I did, too many! I agree. I had different shops do the corner balance and alignment, but nobody to give me recommendations about what I "should" do or say things like "you're too low dude!!!"

Part of the problem was a time crunch, due to various things, mostly my hobby level skills, which left me in a rush at the end, but I have to be honest and say that even with more time I probably would have left it too low in the front, because of looks, and the other lowered track boxsters I have seen that looked really low

Quote:
The worst setups by far are DIY by enthusiastic drivers with little or no suspension experience. Several have been damn dangerous and ended their day early before backing into a wall or armco at 150mph.
I believe it! The car was terrible. Last time at RRR (totally OEM stock and original M030 sport suspension with ~120,000 miles, max camber in front (-1'ish, -1.7 in back, no toe front, a little toe in in the back) I was running 1:30 with 2 flyers at 1:29. This weekend my best was 1:38 and it was terrifying!

Quote:
Hello steved0x,

it's nice to have a good looking car. But good looking doesn't always mean that it's also fast.

I would go with Topless. Look for a shop that has experience in race suspension setups. And if they are experienced in Porsches and the K-Sports suspension too this will be a big plus. I know that such a setup costs a lot of money. But i think itÄs worth it and also you have the chance to a lot of questions.

Also i would recommend to read some good books about suspension setups or race cars technology in general. A good one, which is easy to understand if you have some math and physics knowledge might be M. Trzesniowski, Rennwagentechnik. It gives an overall view on race cars. Don't know if it's avaiiable in english language. But i'm pretty shure there are other good ones out there in english language.

Always take care, always safety first.

Regards, Markus
I will check them out. I got suckered by looks, I admit it

Quote:
Hi,

my question would be: is the rear loose in general or only in some situations.

Is the rear loose if you
break hard on a straight line?
break hard on a straight line in combination with bumps?
break in corners (which isn't recommended but we are racing)?
you are cornering and go off the throttle?
you are cornering and go on the throttle?
you are cornering without load cycle?

Also i like to ask why you've chosen a +30 mm ride height in the rear?

Did you check the weight at every wheel? I suspect you will ave a little more weight in the rear of your Box.

In general: if you combinate more weight with a higher ride in the rear, you will always get a more loose rear.

Regards, Markus
I've got the corner weights, they are biased toward the rear, but I don't have them handy. I can say that braking felt less "powerful", maybe because of all the camber? I was getting into ABS going into turn 1 almost every time, where before I almost never got into ABS. The +30 mm ride height increase in the rear was just happenstance, when I finished the installation and put the wheels on, that is what it ended up with More thought is required for next time

Quote:

There are just way too many variables and unknown unknowns to solve this issue on a car forum. Math and measurement is required. I suggest you find the best Porsche setup guy in your area and drop off your car for assessment and recommendations. The result will be quick and certain to get the numbers right. It will cost you some $$ but a lot less than a car write off I am sure.

Good luck with your car development.
There is a shop here in Jax that does a lot of Race Caymans, does anyone know of a good Boxster race shop in FL or south GA, preferably within a 1-2 hour radius of where I-10 and I-75 intersect in Lake City, FL?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #29

A big thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. I will admit that on the drive home yesterday I had visions of returning the car to stock and selling it, and quitting from it for a while (that's how bad it was). This morning I am more encouraged and have the start of a plan to get things better
Steve