Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #21

Edit: Duplicate post somehow.

Last edited by steved0x; 03-16-2016 at 10:19 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #22

I have no personal experience, but several of the SPB racers in my area are running Millers nanotechnology oil. It's pretty expensive, but may have longer life. The web site shows it for racing/street use.

CFS 5W40 NT - $19.95 : Performance Racing Oils - Millers Oils
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #23

"synthetic 5W40 street oil (not a "race" oil)"
As I mentioned above - Foaming is the remaining suspect ?
Just check your oil specs for detergent & anti-foaming ? That may be the issue. Lots if you Search "Foaming". Easy to test.
From Pennzoil:
"Anti-Foam Additives
Foam-causing air bubbles create a variety of problems in oil. They make oil harder to pump to vital engine parts, reduce the oil’s lubrication effectiveness, and inhibit the oil’s ability to help keep the engine cool. A foamed-up oil can result in serious engine damage. An anti-foam additive helps prevent these problems, specifically at high temperatures"

I'll say no more for fear this turns into an oil debate. Miller - huum wasn't their slogan - "Less Foam more pressure"?
Seriously, Raby and others have explained the problem and solution -just Search -with a cool one.

Last edited by Gelbster; 03-17-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
I have no personal experience, but several of the SPB racers in my area are running Millers nanotechnology oil. It's pretty expensive, but may have longer life. The web site shows it for racing/street use.

Pricy! But less pricy than a new engine I guess.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #25
Racer Boy

I finally watched your video, Steve. The oil pressure does really drop off suddenly in some of the right handers, but it appears that when you are over 4,200 rpms or so, it doesn't do it nearly as much. In some left handers it also drops when you were at really low revs, like around 2,000.

Pressure is mostly dependent on rpms, so I think that is most of what is going on. I thought that the Boxster oiling problems were supposed to happen in left handers, though, not rights?

Over the course of a session, the oil pressure can drop form the oil getting hot, but there shouldn't be a large drop in pressure, maybe 5 lbs or so.

I used to race a first generation RX7, and had the oil pressure gauge mounted high in the dash, right in my line of sight, so it was easy to keep an eye on it. The pressure on that car really did vary a great deal depending on the rpms; from about 35 lbs at 3,000 to 85 lbs at 7,500, and it took a bit of getting used to after I mounted the pressure gauge where I could see it. My experience on a warm-up or cool-off lap was what you are seeing, lots of changes in the pressure, but on a hot lap where the rpms were up all the time, the pressure didn't really fluctuate much.

Oh, and try to keep your hands properly positioned on the wheel - it just looks so much cooler when they are at 3 and 9 o'clock!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #26

Hi,

don't know if Motul 300V Competition is available in the US. It's a synthetic ester based oil. You have to change it minimum yearly. It has a very high HTHS.

There are a lot of guys in Germany that track their Porsches with that oil.

There are different blends and viscosities. Please check yourself:

https://www.motul.com/de/en/products/oils-lubricants?f[application]=140&f[range]=25

Technical data sheet Motul 300V 15W50 Competition:
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/51780/original/300V%20Competition%2015W-50%20%28GB%29.pdf?1329125523

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #27

HTHS is Markus-speak for the tribology term High Temperature High Shear. He is smart !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Oh, and try to keep your hands properly positioned on the wheel - it just looks so much cooler when they are at 3 and 9 o'clock!
If anyone would have asked me before this video (my first from that perspective) where my hands were, I would have said 3 & 9, and believed it. After this video I couldn't believe what I was seeing.. Crazy
  • Not at 3 & 9
  • Often, when turning, the hand on that side lets go and grabs on a little higher, like on a right turn
  • Also on straightaways, the hands let go and reattach at different spots
  • I am pointing around like crazy and releasing my hands a lot
  • At least I didn't leave my hand on the shifter...

I just uploaded my last session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHq22grJ37E

It is a little better, hands are a little better, speed is up a little. Still some more work to do. if I combine pieces of laps together I can run a 2:00, in this session I ran two 2:03 laps, I think one of them would have been a 2:01'ish lap but when I came over the hill down into 10A there was a Corvette going really slow in the left lane and I braked early and was slower the rest of the lap. That's enough justifications for one post I think I just need to get a little braver and keep my right foot down more and carry a little (lot?) more speed in a few places...

Last edited by steved0x; 03-17-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #29
Racer Boy

I was just busting your chops about your hands!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I was just busting your chops about your hands!
It was legit, my hands were terrible. I lost at least 5 hp, probably 10.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #31

Don't feel bad, did you see Will Powers IndyCar crash in practice because he had one hand off the wheel in a corner ?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #32
SpecBox

We will be running a SPB at Rd ATL next weekend with full data for oil temp and pressure. Running accusump and deep sump. Curious to see how it compares.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlamb View Post
We will be running a SPB at Rd ATL next weekend with full data for oil temp and pressure. Running accusump and deep sump. Curious to see how it compares.
Me too, will keep my eye out. Good luck at the races.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #34

Old thread, I know, but..
Anyone of you guys have any oil pressure data updates or other findings? This has been one of the best threads I've found showing oil pressure fluctuation with a 2qt sump extension.

I recently installed a 2qt extension + and a 1.2 L billet deep sump on top of each other. I haven't tracked it yet. The 1.2 L pan is an improvement or OEM, but still not good enough even for the street (oil pressure still drops on ~270 degree, continuously curving highway on-ramps with highway-temp engine oil).
krombacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krombacher View Post
Old thread, I know, but..
Anyone of you guys have any oil pressure data updates or other findings? This has been one of the best threads I've found showing oil pressure fluctuation with a 2qt sump extension.

I recently installed a 2qt extension + and a 1.2 L billet deep sump on top of each other. I haven't tracked it yet. The 1.2 L pan is an improvement or OEM, but still not good enough even for the street (oil pressure still drops on ~270 degree, continuously curving highway on-ramps with highway-temp engine oil).
Well we love those that search before double posting! Have you considered the oil you are using? I recommend going to LN Engineering.com & read all you can about which oil is best for you.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #36

Accusump - some data
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post

I have Millers in my gear box.....will report back next season when I have more experience with the oil.

Initial testing seems to indicate an improvement over the old stock fill. I also have a modified second gear detent in there....which has changed the feel.....more rearward movement in the aft gears.....2 and 4