Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Garage
IMS failures: What is the newest car that has suffered an IMS failure?

My entry is my 2006 Boxster S. Late model engine, with the large, supposedly failure proof bearing. Not true. The mechanic says he has never seen or heard of a failure in such a late model engine. I am interested in knowing if anyone else has had a problem with cars newer than 2004. I see there are lots of messages here about failures in cars up to 2004, but I haven't seen any for later than that.

By the way, I was doing all the voodoo stuff for warding off the IMS gremlin. Keep the engine speed above 3K, check. Use quality oil and change it frequently, check. Watch for oil leaks on the center-line of the engine, check. What got me into the shop was that it was missing at high speed (> 5,000 RPM), but only after a minute or so.

astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrayelmgod View Post
My entry is my 2006 Boxster S. Late model engine, with the large, supposedly failure proof bearing. Not true. The mechanic says he has never seen or heard of a failure in such a late model engine. I am interested in knowing if anyone else has had a problem with cars newer than 2004. I see there are lots of messages here about failures in cars up to 2004, but I haven't seen any for later than that.

By the way, I was doing all the voodoo stuff for warding off the IMS gremlin. Keep the engine speed above 3K, check. Use quality oil and change it frequently, check. Watch for oil leaks on the center-line of the engine, check. What got me into the shop was that it was missing at high speed (> 5,000 RPM), but only after a minute or so.
We have seen a few. Close as we can tell, they happen in smaller numbers than the earlier single row cars, but they definitely still do happen.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
What got me into the shop was that it was missing at high speed (> 5,000 RPM), but only after a minute or so.
If you were "doing all the voodoo", did you not check your cam variance? If you were missing at high speed, then you were long past the point of alarm on the variance.

Do you trust your shop? Did you SEE the bearing? I mean, with your own eyes?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

Garage
Yes, I trust the shop.

The engine hasn't been taken apart yet, so no, I haven't seen the IMS. I have a photo of the oil filter which I can't figure out how to post. But it is classic IMS oil filter dreck. Why, is there something else it could be?

The miss happened at two different auto crosses, a week apart. It had never happened before that. That was why I took it to the shop.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Garage
JFP in PA :

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. Thanks for your reply. I feel a bit better. But I'll feel even better when I get my car back....
Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Why, is there something else it could be?
There are, quite literally DOZENS of things that could cause a miss. And frankly, IMS wouldn't be near the top of the list, in order of most likely. But there sure is a lot of hysteria over the IMS, and many, many incidents of it being blamed for unrelated symptoms.

Now adding the oil filter crud into the scenario, that starts to swing the needle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

Garage
Mine is a 2004 S with 35k miles and the original IMS. I check my cam deviations monthly and they are rock steady.

Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote