Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy HELP ! Brake pads replaced, now strange clicking noise :(

Hiya , I have just replaced all my brake pads and now I am getting a peculiar "clicking noise" when I apply my footbrake ((
It is coming from my front right wheel, and it happens when I slowly apply the brake going either forward or reversing !!!
To me it seems or feels like one of the OEM pads replaced has a bit of "freeplay" or something !!!
The spares were ordered from Pelican Parts and are Original Porsche i.e. Brembo

Any suggestions or help with this matter please ?!?
I am considering replacing the pads yet again lolol

Thank you Guys and Girls

Hurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #2

Garage
Is it possible you left some bolts loose (e.g. caliper bolt)? I assume it would make a nice click if it has some play.

You might not need to worry about that sound though, because if it is the caliper bolt you'll be dead anyways!

...joke..but the first thing I would look for is an ill-seated pad in the caliper or any loose bolts as a result of the brake work.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks epapp for your reply,
The actual calipers where never removed as I managed to replace the pads, pins, plate and split pin , with the calipers in place !!

thanks again
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

Garage
Is it possible you left the wheel a bit loose? The clicking sound would then be the wheel moving as far as it can out of relation to the hub.

If you are driving forward, does the sound happen once and then not again until you travel in reverse? Or rather will it click each time you apply the brakes while moving forward (without first going in reverse)?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Garage
The wheel was double checked for tightness, so ideally I can discard that.
Also , it doesn't make the click, until I reverse again or vice versa, that's why I suspect the pads or at least one of them , has some slight movement when the brake is applied. hence the clicking sound !!
to me it also seems like one of the caliper pistons might be slightly seized , and does not have the full force until the pedal is actually applied. therefore the pad remains slightly loose , and that is why I hear the dreaded clicking sound ,......

thanks again
Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

ok, ok I will admit it

One time while installing the extra set of wheels with the Nitto-01's for a next day track event (at night in a hurry...)

I heard a clicking noise similar to the one you described, and after removing the wheel that was making the noise, I discover that one of the spacers on the wheel bolts had fallen off from the bolt and the ticking noise was caused by the (now longer bolt) hitting the disc protective shield.

You may want to check that all your wheel bolts have the spacers on ... (the worse would be the extra time required to remove one wheel)

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Garage
To your point about the seized piston - I would think a seizing caliper piston would keep the pad tight against the rotor after pressure is applied, NOT let it settle back away from the rotor (to make the clicking sound again the next time).
Old 08-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks epapp , that's true too what you describe about the piston, but I was thinking of it being stuck IN , instead of out, thus pushing the pad slightly sidewards, and not letting it sit completely flat against the disc itself .
but , yes you DO have a very valid point there my friend.

Thanks to Gilles too for your advice . I have removed the wheel twice now , but it seems it will have to be a third time again LoLoL .
I will check about the spacers

Thanks Guys
Old 08-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
One time I installed a set of cheapie knockoff street pads and they would click when I went into reverse. Apparently these pads were cut slightly too small for the calipers and would shift in the caliper a little when backing. Once the pads were thoroughly bedded and in use there was no more movement or clicks. If the holder spring is weak or missing this might also allow a pad shift when reversing disc rotation.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #10

After the last time I did the fronts I had a click when stopping after backing up. Couldn't find anything wrong, so I lived with it until it went away on its own.