Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Bagged Boxster

Hey Guys. I'm new to this forum, as well as the Porsche community. I just recently sold my last project and picked up a 986 with intentions to put the car on air suspension. I know this may not be a lot of your tastes. But to each their own i guess! Im familiar with air setups, and the suspension of most cars, but I've come across a few ideas! As a few of you may know, theres very few bagged boosters out there due to cost, and i may have a way around it. Im just looking for feedback!
I'm new to the euro world but i do know that theres a lot of correlation between vw and porsche parts (obviously), but do you think A set of FRONT air struts from a vw glf/jetta of the same years would fit on a 986? i Would use the 986 tops, just the strut and bag set up would be from a vw. Not sure if anyone has the specs on the diameter of the struts and how compatible they would be but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

nathanmoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
why ??????
Attached Images

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-11-2015 at 06:10 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
why ??????

have you lost your mind?
Once again, not everyone's taste. Just looking for intelligent feedback. I'll do what I would like with my car.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
You gonna put Lambo doors on as well?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

I like air suspensions on some vehicles but the boxster is not a car you want to lay frame with. Lots of plastic panels and some important hoses underneath that won't take any kind of abuse like that. Like you said "But to each their own i guess!". That being said, I would imagine you could replace the Porsche struts with a generic airbag strut or fab something up pretty easy. I have a strut laying around if you need some measurements?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #7

Garage
What if this is mr.jonathan reincarnated??!!
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

I don't believe there is a 'kit' avaliable for the boxster, I could be wrong. Most air suspension brands/suppliers offer a universal kits for cars that aren't catered for off the shelf. These kits needs to be welded up according to what you need so that the set up can be bolted into the 'oem' position and use oem mounting holes etc.

The supplier would need the oem setup measurements and some photos to supplier you with the appropriate universal kit and air bag combo. Also be careful as not any air big should be used, it should be spec'ed car specific due to weight etc.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I like air suspensions on some vehicles but the boxster is not a car you want to lay frame with. Lots of plastic panels and some important hoses underneath that won't take any kind of abuse like that. Like you said "But to each their own i guess!". That being said, I would imagine you could replace the Porsche struts with a generic airbag strut or fab something up pretty easy. I have a strut laying around if you need some measurements?
That would be awesome if you could take some measurements! It would be awesome if I could know the:
Height of the strut body
Diameter of the part of the body that is clamped in the hub
The thread of the strut rod (if you have the tools)
And possibly the distance between the 3 bolts on the strut mount. The part that holds it to the strut tower.

Thankyou in advance for your help!
Nathan
Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas View Post
I don't believe there is a 'kit' avaliable for the boxster, I could be wrong. Most air suspension brands/suppliers offer a universal kits for cars that aren't catered for off the shelf. These kits needs to be welded up according to what you need so that the set up can be bolted into the 'oem' position and use oem mounting holes etc.

The supplier would need the oem setup measurements and some photos to supplier you with the appropriate universal kit and air bag combo. Also be careful as not any air big should be used, it should be spec'ed car specific due to weight etc.

There is one kit available for 7500 but that's absurd. Haha. After talking with a friend who owns a mk4 gti, he believes the struts will work too. Of course when I order them I will have them specially valved to work for my car (weight, travel, etc)
Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #11
Rookie

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Seems to me this is a more mod specific question than a vehicle specific question. Have you asked around in the ricer forums? Even the classic forums might have some good input.

Last edited by TypeA; 08-12-2015 at 05:15 AM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You gonna put Lambo doors on as well?

Youve gone so far as to make your own thread on this subject, and you have made your meaning clear. Hows about rather than crapping on peoples threads you just avoid the mod questions? Nobody is interested in your agenda, especially the new folks with legitimate questions.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmoutlaw View Post
There is one kit available for 7500 but that's absurd. Haha. After talking with a friend who owns a mk4 gti, he believes the struts will work too. Of course when I order them I will have them specially valved to work for my car (weight, travel, etc)

Just curious as to why you chose a boxster. Why not just get a golf or something else that far more people know how to do these sort of mods and in communities where it is far more accepted.

These cars are an acquired taste. They can be more beautiful than anything else on the road but it takes an speciation. It's like the quiet girl in Chem who sort of catches your eye but every guy is busy checking out the cheer captain because she was blessed with far larger assets and shows them off.

But if you get to know the cheer captain you see that she's actually pretty fat which why she has such a rear and chest and also looks terrible without her makeup.

You then take a moment to really take in the quiet girl and realizes she has way more to offer then the cheer captain ever did and is even in much better shape, she just doesn't flaunt it.

With that being considered, yes an immodded boxster may not catch as many glances. However, "doing one up" is fairly similar to coating down that beautiful quiet girl in makeup and expecting her to act like the popular girls, it just doesn't work and then the car looses its natural talent and handling abilities as well. Now sometimes people go for the quiet girl not because they appreciate her, but rather they go for her because of her families money, just buy the car for the badge, which is not advised.

I understand bagging cars, just not bagging a boxster these cars are just a lot more delicate and complicated then you're average Asian market car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Just curious as to why you chose a boxster. Why not just get a golf or something else that far more people know how to do these sort of mods and in communities where it is far more accepted.

These cars are an acquired taste. They can be more beautiful than anything else on the road but it takes an speciation. It's like the quiet girl in Chem who sort of catches your eye but every guy is busy checking out the cheer captain because she was blessed with far larger assets and shows them off.

But if you get to know the cheer captain you see that she's actually pretty fat which why she has such a rear and chest and also looks terrible without her makeup.

You then take a moment to really take in the quiet girl and realizes she has way more to offer then the cheer captain ever did and is even in much better shape, she just doesn't flaunt it.

With that being considered, yes an immodded boxster may not catch as many glances. However, "doing one up" is fairly similar to coating down that beautiful quiet girl in makeup and expecting her to act like the popular girls, it just doesn't work and then the car looses its natural talent and handling abilities as well. Now sometimes people go for the quiet girl not because they appreciate her, but rather they go for her because of her families money, just buy the car for the badge, which is not advised.

I understand bagging cars, just not bagging a boxster these cars are just a lot more delicate and complicated then you're average Asian market car.

I enjoy building cars out of the ordinary. Even though a lot of people don't like it. I enjoy doing things that haven't been done very often. Like you said why don't you do something people have already done and know about. Well that's just following in someone else's footsteps. I'd rather be a leader than a follower. Prior to my Boxster I owned the lowest static mustang. Yes it's a mustang I don't need to hear it, but I did extrodinary things with that car and I would like to do the same with this car.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Youve gone so far as to make your own thread on this subject, and you have made your meaning clear. Hows about rather than crapping on peoples threads you just avoid the mod questions? Nobody is interested in your agenda, especially the new folks with legitimate questions.
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

So only you can have an opinion?

I asked a legitimate question. Someone asking about that kind of mod is likely to look at Lambo doors as well.

These too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQptfdSCdhs
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #16

Garage
Hell I would try lambo doors for a day if it was bolt on
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #17

Hi,

i found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7IIbtBSVU

Think you will run into different problems if you really want to slam the car, because of the axle and trailing arm construction. Also as mentioned before the underbody is completely dressed up with plastic elements to improve air flow. So if you get too low there wille be a lot of damage. Think this will be a challenging project.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
On the slippery slope

Garage
that's one of the more tasteful body kits I have seen
Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
There is nothing legitimate about downgrading a vehicles handling & therefore safety!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #20

I have no problems seeing a bagged boxster. Good luck!

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote