Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Manual Transmission Drain Plug - Magnet?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of doing a few things to my 986, including changing the transmission oil. I have a '99 2.5L 5-speed. I have seen a mention of a magnet either on the drain plug or in front of the drain plug inside the transmission.

I was hoping someone could clear up where this magnet is, or if it even exists. The drain plug does not appear to have a magnet on it and after feeling inside the transmission I did not feel a magnet or any kind of buildup that could be attached to a magnet, just oil.

Random Info: I was trying to find pictures of what the drain plug looks like, and it appears you can't even buy the 16mm Triple Square plugs anymore, just the Hex plugs.

Thank you in advance,
-Rick

Drain Plug:

Fill Plug:

Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

The magnet in on the floor of the transmission near the drain opening.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Garage
I think I remember the drain plug itself being magnetic...?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for the replies! I felt around inside the hole, and kind of scrapped what I could out/off the magnet.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the transmission drain bucket, should I be concerned about this amount of metal particles? Anything I can do about it? None of them are very big, maybe like the size of small-medium sand (I know it's a scientific unit of measurement )
EDIT: Tested with a magnet, quite a bit stuck, but all very small particles.

I also cut/tore open my paper oil filter. Very glad I'm upgrading to the LN adapter, it had a few bits of metal in it as well. Some of them maybe half the size of a pinhead.
EDIT: Tested with a magnet, nothing on the paper filter was magnetic, except for maybe a dozen or so very small sand sized particles. Not sure what those bigger particles could be. Sending a sample to Blackstone.

Last edited by rick3000; 08-14-2015 at 12:13 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

Garage
Hey Rick; Perhaps you could post those filter pics into the Filter thread? Do you have or are you going to add a Filtermag?

Also very interested in the results from the additional cooler!

Last edited by 911monty; 08-14-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: second thoughts
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have some hard drive magnets I stuck to the filter housing, then wrapped with electrical tape. Since none of the particles on the paper filter where ferrous, I am not overly concerned, and want to see what the magnets pickup over the next 5k miles.

A quick run down of the work I did today:

The trans. flush was pretty straight forward, added approx. 2.25L of Burmah TAF 21 from Sunset Imports until it overflowed from the fill hole, checked with 11mm paperclip dipstick. I actually used closer to 2.5L once you consider that Sunset may not have filled them to exactly 1L per bottle, plus the overflow and residue left in the funnel with 3' tubing (I filled it from the top). I also rotated the wheels a little while filling.

Then wrapped up the oil change, but I am not adding new oil until I replace the oil cooler in a few days. Installed a new aluminum drain plug, which I under torqued to 35ft/lbs (vs. 37ft/lbs) in the hopes it won't strip next time, then oiled the the LN adapter o-rings and torqued to 18ft/lbs, which was basically where the adapter hit the sump, and wouldn't have turned anymore regardless. Lastly, I prefilled the oil filter, and spun it on hand tight.

Unfortunately, while I was putting the rear bracing (removed the access the trans.) back on, one of the bolts sheared off as I was torquing it. Not sure why it broke (probably age), but I amazingly had a spare bolt from when I installed my rear strut brace (ernie bar). But it took quite a while to get the sheared bolt out (finally tried a small sledge hammer, the right tool for the job!).
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #7

Garage
That electrical tape will be toast in one heat cycle and have you wishing you had used a metal clamp or at least high heat tape...
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for the heads up, I'll change it.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Then wrapped up the oil change, but I am not adding new oil until I replace the oil cooler in a few days. Installed a new aluminum drain plug, which I under torqued to 35ft/lbs (vs. 37ft/lbs) in the hopes it won't strip next time
The LN mag drain plug shouldn't be torqued to more than 19 ft-lb.

I hope you have new O-rings for the oil cooler. Tip: be very careful when lifting out the old oil cooler. Hold it horizontal until you can get a bag or something else under it to catch the fluid that will come gushing out, all over the engine and flywheel area. Ask me how I know...
Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks click man, just using a regular OEM drain plug. I've got the new o-rings, and had heard to get a bag under/around the oil cooler as quickly as possible. I am hoping that there won't be as much coolant and oil in it when I lift it out, because I will have both fluids drained from the car when I do the swap.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Thanks click man, just using a regular OEM drain plug. I've got the new o-rings, and had heard to get a bag under/around the oil cooler as quickly as possible. I am hoping that there won't be as much coolant and oil in it when I lift it out, because I will have both fluids drained from the car when I do the swap.
Both will still be there in abundance; lift it straight up slightly and slide a plastic bag under it before attempting to lift it out of the car.