Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #21

Thanks fanguy and 911monty. I know the place, but I didn't know they'd take anything I hand them.

I've always taken my used oil and ATF to auto parts stores because they're required by law to take it. They will absolutely not take brake fluid though, so I'm glad someone finally answered my question.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Just curious if anyone will admit what they do with old brake fluid.

It's nasty ****************, and the places that take oil, ATF, etc won't touch it. I've asked before and all I get is crickets. I'm just sitting on a couple quarts of old fluid and want to dispose of it properly.
Here in LA there are free toxic chemical "round ups" sponsored by local cities or the county where they collect all types of hazardous materials for proper disposal. You just drive in, drop it off, and drive out. Takes about two minutes.

I save up materials like brake fluid, coolant, car batteries, electronics, etc and drop them off once a year at a local collection.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #23
On the slippery slope

Garage
I put my brake fluid in an empty 5 quart oil bottle and when it full take it to my local fast lube place and they take the liquid for recycling

That's about the only time you might find me a a fast lube place !
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #24

Garage
They talk about cars with traction control needs to use a different bleeding process (non traditional) I assume this does not apply to a 986 S that does have TC?

Is there anything special that has to be done on car with Traction Control?
I have a 2004 SE.

Bart
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
They talk about cars with traction control needs to use a different bleeding process (non traditional) I assume this does not apply to a 986 S that does have TC?

Is there anything special that has to be done on car with Traction Control?
I have a 2004 SE.

Bart
Officially, the traction control system needs to be activated to open the valves to flush all of the old fluid. Normally, this will require a Porsche factory PST2 tool or equivalent.

Unofficially, I had never done this when I do the yearly brake flush on my Boxster with TC and never had any problems.

You can try doing it without exercising the TC system and if the pedal is firm when you're done, then everything is ok. If you do the flush but end up with a spongy brake pedal, then you'll probably have to take the car in to a shop that has the tool to exercise the TC system to get it fully bled.

The Pelican DIY instructions say the same thing (read down into the comments): Boxster Bleeding Brakes
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-14-2016 at 07:46 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #26

I have TC and I tried to use my Durametric to activate the TC valves during the bleed process and nothing happened. I think that the TC mechanism is pretty far upstream from the brake pads and so not very likely to get air unless some was introduced into the lines accidentally during a flush or during the install of a new master cylinder or something like that.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Officially, the traction control system needs to be activated to open the valves to flush all of the old fluid...
Yes, "officially". Then again checking tire pressure in all four wheels probably has allotted at least one hour of book time units.

Both my 997 and Macan have all the ABS, TC, PSM, & PASM electronic nannies and I have yet to ever exercise any when bleeding/flushing brakes. Same w/ my BMW SUV...

Just suck out most old fluid from reservoir (old turkey baster which now stays in garage permanently), refill reservoir w/ new fluid and connect Motive Power Bleeder (dry) and pressurize. Start at wheel furthest from reservoir and work back towards closest. DOUBLE CHECK reservoir level and pressure after each caliper - refilling as necessary.

Misc tips:
  • wipe up any drops or spills of brake fluid ASAP - i.e. have rags on hand at each corner and reservoir before starting
  • use a clear catch container or at least translucent one
  • add graduated markings w/ a permanent marker to catch container if not already present (approx every 4 oz is good). After a few bleeds you'll become comfortable w/ what's coming out, when the line is clear/new fluid and also confident about not running reservoir dry.
  • if catch container is not magnetic or doesn't have a hanger/retainer strap, get a bleed tube long enough to reach your container on ground (most any hardware store)
  • use a 90 degree nipple on your bleeder tube - less dripping when removed
  • when finished bleeding, adjust reservoir to proper level by adding fluid or if overfull by bleeding excess out at closest caliper as opposed to sucking out

Good luck
Old 04-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #28
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Anyone done this when bleeding their brakes? It's been said some Porsche owners with PSM (Porsche Stability Management) have been able to bleed the brakes without special tools. Instead, they have turned the ignition on, turned off PSM, then bled the brakes as normal.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
I am No. 1348

Garage
I read that if you have the PSM (as I do), as long as you do not let the reservoir run dry, you should be ok to bleed as normal. If you let air in the system, it becomes a big problem where you need to run the PIWIS to toggle the ABS/PSM valves to burp the air bubbles.

Hopefully, one of the experts will chime on in on this. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. LOL