Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

where can I buy a water pump + engine mount

I need a motor mount for my 2000 boxster. I figured since I'm in that area to replace the water pump. I got about 86000 miles. Since I'm there should I change the belt out? I saw Pedro had an under pulley kit that's worth a few hp. Has anybody installed his kit? Lastly, can you point me to a motor mount and water pump. Ebay has water pumps going from 80 to 800 bucks. Thanks ahead.

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Water pump

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-engine-water-pump-911-boxster-11243008314

Engine mount

Genuine Porsche Boxster Cayman Engine Mount Bracket | eBay
Old 04-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Try Pelican -great videos to help you too.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #4

Garage
Best water pump deal here. I just got one. Factory original. My apology to Pelican in advance.

https://www.porschepartshub.com/index.php?p=login

Last edited by 911monty; 04-17-2015 at 04:32 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Best water pump deal here. I just got one. Factory original. My apology to Pelican in advance.

https://www.porschepartshub.com/index.php?p=login
I suppose you meant this as the link?

WATER PUMP | Genuine Porsche | 996-106-011-56

That's not the best deal. Pierburg is the OEM supplier to Porsche and the link I gave is cheaper with free shipping.

As far as the UPD. This is your best deal.

New Porsche 986 Boxster 4" Under Drive Pulley Kit with AC Tuners Motorsports | eBay
Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Garage
Actually, No. I gave the link to the site so he could pick his own part. As far as the part, Critical parts I will replace with factory. I'm not interested in stories like the expansion tank saga to save a few dollars... But that's me. Choices are up to the individual. Options though are fine. Guess I should have prefaced with best price on factory part.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

I'm not so wild about FCP parts after installing some of their parts on BMWs and having them fail less than a year later.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I installed the kit from Pelican consisting of water pump, gasket, and low temp thermostat. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Works great.

2000 Porsche Boxster - Water Pump
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Actually, No. I gave the link to the site so he could pick his own part. As far as the part, Critical parts I will replace with factory. I'm not interested in stories like the expansion tank saga to save a few dollars... But that's me. Choices are up to the individual. Options though are fine. Guess I should have prefaced with best price on factory part.
I guess you're not understanding. Pierburg is a supplier of Porsche's water pumps. Just because it says genuine Porsche does not mean it's made by Porsche. Jake Raby stated that he only buys water pumps directly from Porsche and that he has seen them use 3 different suppliers.

Who makes the original Porsche water pumps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
I'm not so wild about FCP parts after installing some of their parts on BMWs and having them fail less than a year later.
The pump is made by Pierburg, not FCP lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I installed the kit from Pelican consisting of water pump, gasket, and low temp thermostat. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Works great.

2000 Porsche Boxster - Water Pump
and that kit uses a Pierburg water pump.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-17-2015 at 09:03 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Boxster abuser

I stay away from FCP because of the inferior products they sold me in the past, it cost me more than the cost of the parts. I installed their parts in for people because I believed in the products they sold. There is no need for them to profit from any future sales from me.

Last edited by healthservices; 04-17-2015 at 09:15 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
I stay away from FCP because of the inferior products they sold me in the past, it cost me more than the cost of the parts. I installed their parts in for people because I believed in the products they sold. There is no need for them to profit from any future sales from me.
That sucks that you have had bad experiences with them. When I buy my next water pump, it will be a Pierburg water pump and if they are selling them cheaper then any other place, I'm buying it from them.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #12

Just installed the "Pierburg" pump, purchased from FCP. Best price I could find for the Pierburg. $231.00 or thereabouts. Bought the "Lemfoerder" insert bushing only for the engine mount from Auto Parts Warehouse for about $40. incl. shipping. The guy at my local Carquest, who runs a machine shop next to the store, changed out the engine mount bushing on his press for 15 bucks. Total $65.
Not realizing that I had my new serpentine belt one groove off line on the crank shaft pulley, I shredded the inside edge of my new belt and had to get another one at the local NAPA, which I installed carefully with success. Belt at local NAPA, $28.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

Garage
I Guess I'm Really not understanding.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I guess you're not understanding. Pierburg is a supplier of Porsche's water pumps. Just because it says genuine Porsche does not mean it's made by Porsche. Jake Raby stated that he only buys water pumps directly from Porsche and that he has seen them use 3 different suppliers.

Who makes the original Porsche water pumps?

The pump is made by Pierburg, not FCP lol.

and that kit uses a Pierburg water pump.
Kram
I appreciate the reply. I am confused by the referenced Jake quote which as I read it says he buys factory because, there are 3 different suppliers but the pumps are different. What I believe he is saying that OEM suppliers are typically prevented by their contract from using identical components as the "factory" piece and are usually inferior in quality. My concern on this particular component, which from reading this forum, is "critical" in that if it fails it can lose impeller fragments in cooling passages causing the heads/engine to fail. This is not where I choose to save money. In fact much the same as the infamous IMS bearing, (and this is only imaginary and not a real part..) if a manufacturer said " we have eliminated impeller failure by using ceramic bearing in a delrin race " I would probably pay twice as much for the part. Saving a few dollars while gambling a $10k failure is not in my opinion a good bet. Happy Bolstering!!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

KRAM points out a fact far more useful than the OEM branded vs OEM supplier issue - and from an impeccable source.Too many sad M96 stories associated with w/p failures to just blow past this info.

The Porsche branded (obviously not made by Porsche) pump has been changed substantially 3 times - so we need to specifically identify the latest part number. If they have not changed the part number to denote an upgrade, we need to know how to identify the latest version. Until we do that, all the chattering about Pierburg/Geba vs plastic impellers vs metal is trivial.

*So can anyone tell us all what are the critical features of the latest w/p ? I ask because I am sure all the old versions will be discounted on EBay and with unwitting vendors .And fellow Forum members will fit them rejoicing at having 'saved'(??) a few bucks.
Is it 99610601156 +?

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #15

Monty said; "we have eliminated .. failure by using ceramic bearing in a...."
Oh no ,this is looking like an IMSB thread :-).
But you make a very useful point. Got DOF to go with that?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #16

Garage
Gelbster; I was thinking more along the splash lubrication...by having the bearing inboard of the seal, and lubricated by the antifreeze mixture. No bearing failure, no impeller contact to block, no vanes break. When seal goes replace both.....WOW you're right!!! IMSB w/p!!!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Bummer - so no opportunity for DOF ?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #18

Garage
Sorry.....Too many years of the KISS principal.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Sorry.....Too many years of the KISS principal.
More then likely you have a Pierburg made water pump in your car right now.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #20

^^^ That could well be true ^^^ BUT which Pierburg version of the pump have you got in the car ??

As Gelbster says, there has been 3 substantial revisions to the Porsche branded water pump....
Pierburg could well be marketing the Mk I or MKII versions under their own banner and the latest MKIII is sold only in the Porsche packaging.....