Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #21

Driving the Tiptronic

Never drive in any mode but M. Keep revs between 3-4k at steady driving. When in a 55 zone the car does not need to be in 5th, fourth runs at 3100 or so. You can learn to down shift "safely" breaking with left foot and throttle blipping with right to rev match. Ya, the 02 isn't new enough for the computer to do that. Completely different than the wife's 2014 Q50, the computer does the rev match for you as all new cars do. Tip in manual mode is a great experience, don't miss driving a stick.

psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #22

Nice wheel

Ive seen that wheel in other posts of yours, envious... the stock tip wheel sucks, too easy to accidentally "palm" shift when turning a corner. Drive it M all the time but still occasionally palm shift the damn thing... the clickers are just in a bad location.... Paddles would be sooooo much better.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #23
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psquared39 View Post
KRAM36, changed my 02 when i bought it at 46k 6 years ago, if i remember correctly about 6L was enough with pan drop and filter change. Last year i bought a 20L Pentosin from amazon for about $220. the car was at 86k. For three weeks in a row i drained and refilled (drain without pan drop and filter change was only about 4L), on the fourth week i drained, dropped the pan and changed the filter, this was the only method i could figure for a "flush". turned out just right with the 20L jug. What a noticeable difference in transmission performance. just my experience, hope it gives you some direction.
Off the comments in that article I was figuring to have 7 liters on hand, but in the article itself he says to have a container that can hold 12 liters for draining. I'm not looking to do a complete flush like you did. Trans shifts fine, just figure it's time to do the filter change.

Yeah, that wheel looks great, but the price doesn't.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
So if you're doing the filter change, you should have 12 liters on hand?
How would you get the filter changed unless you drain the sump?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #25
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
How would you get the filter changed unless you drain the sump?
I do plan to drain the fluid and pull the sump. Most of the comments said said 6.5 liters was all they could get back in.

How much fluid do you think I need on hand?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
I do plan to drain the fluid and pull the sump. Most of the comments said said 6.5 liters was all they could get back in.

How much fluid do you think I need on hand?
I'm wondering why you don't drain the whole trans as long as you've drained the sump and replace all the fluid as per Dempsey.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #27
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I'm wondering why you don't drain the whole trans as long as you've drained the sump and replace all the fluid as per Dempsey.
Were does it say in that DIY link about replacing all the fluid? I'm not seeing it.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Were does it say in that DIY link about replacing all the fluid? I'm not seeing it.
turboflyer "Comments: I have done the fluid change, filter also at 60K now setting at 91K. What I want to do is totally pump out the old fluid. I think the math is a bit off on just doing it twice. That won't get her done as they say. you will be changing a 55/50 mix and still have old fluid. Would be more like 4 or 5 times but you know what I mean. So is there a way to purge it all?
I though of maybe a making an adaptor to go inlace of the filter and and then connecting it to a source of 10L of ATF. Not sure if I would damage something or not.
Also considered the trans cooler lines but I don't think it carries all the ATF. Most likely a bypass cooler, not sure.
Some one said Mobile One ATF was fine. I spoke to Mobil tech and they said they did not have a fluid that fit the requirements.
Has any one done a complete fluid change? If so what worked? Thanks in advance.
November 5, 2013
Followup from the Pelican Staff: The best way to purge it all is to use a transmission flush machine. The machine will hook up to the cooler hoses and pump in new fluid as the oil fluid is pumped out. "
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #29
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
turboflyer "Comments: I have done the fluid change, filter also at 60K now setting at 91K. What I want to do is totally pump out the old fluid. I think the math is a bit off on just doing it twice. That won't get her done as they say. you will be changing a 55/50 mix and still have old fluid. Would be more like 4 or 5 times but you know what I mean. So is there a way to purge it all?
I though of maybe a making an adaptor to go inlace of the filter and and then connecting it to a source of 10L of ATF. Not sure if I would damage something or not.
Also considered the trans cooler lines but I don't think it carries all the ATF. Most likely a bypass cooler, not sure.
Some one said Mobile One ATF was fine. I spoke to Mobil tech and they said they did not have a fluid that fit the requirements.
Has any one done a complete fluid change? If so what worked? Thanks in advance.
November 5, 2013
Followup from the Pelican Staff: The best way to purge it all is to use a transmission flush machine. The machine will hook up to the cooler hoses and pump in new fluid as the oil fluid is pumped out. "
I asked about where is was in the article. I didn't read all the comments.

So do you have a transmission flush machine? I don't have one.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
I asked about where is was in the article. I didn't read all the comments.

So do you have a transmission flush machine? I don't have one.
You're in Kansas, I'm in CA so it wouldn't matter. I would think you could find one at a rental co.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #31

Flush

Like i stated in the previous post i was unable to find a mechanical method to flush the transmission, so i approached the the manual way, and just changed it 4 weeks in a row, last time dropping the pan and changing the filter. From a visual standpoint that last drain with filter change the oil was looking like it came out of the bottle, flush success... Not that it was performing poorly before, but there was a noticeable difference after i completed this process.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #32

Garage
Ok I have a 99 with a tip transmission but the M mode doesnt work. any good diy for diagnosing? It hasnt worked since i bought the car. will a durametric help to diagnose?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Ok I have a 99 with a tip transmission but the M mode doesnt work. any good diy for diagnosing? It hasnt worked since i bought the car. will a durametric help to diagnose?
Does it do anything in "M" mode?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #34

Quote:
I would suggest checking all of the mechanical switching system first. Does it show up on your dash indicators when you switch from D to M? If not you may have an issue with the contacts on the shifter. After that I would work my way back threw the system. If you are not getting the flashing 4toD limp mode it's more than likely a dirty contact somewhere. In the switching system. Hope you do not have an issue with your TCM. I could be wrong it's been awhile but I do believe it's a separate computer for the trip.
dblaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:28 AM   #35

Garage
nothing happens when put in M mode
Old 06-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #36
Artist, 986S tinkerer

You need to get the codes read. A Durametric will give you this info. Possibly a wiring harness issue, but you need to get the diagnosis.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
nothing happens when put in M mode
So the car won't even move? When you put it in M does the M light come on the gauge and does it show it in a gear? You need to give more info as it may be a sensor/linkage issue in the selector or the steering wheel and may not have thrown a code but you should check that as has been mentioned.

Last edited by Luv2Box; 06-11-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:32 AM   #38

Garage
the car drives fine but the manual mode does not work. I can put it in p,r,n,d no problem. I don't think it has given a code. I have a durametric and will check. again this didn't just happen it has been like this from when I bought the car. I would like to fix it. when I move the shifter lever to M it does not go into the manual mode it stays in the automatic mode.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #39

Garage
There are several switches attached to the Tip, one is at the shift selector lever and tells the control module which position the selector is in. I suspect this is where your problem is. The housing, around the lever, has to be removed to access and test it. If it isn't that one there is another on the driver's side of the trans. The only other one, I could find, is the actual pin position in the control module wiring harness that is also listed as a switch to trans ECU.
Personally I'd start at the shift lever switch as it sounds to me like it is not engaging the rest of the switches to tell the ECU it is in M.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #40
Need For Speed

Garage
The Durametric has a section for the Tiptronic. It will store the code(s) ,if any, there. If you don't see any code(s), then Luv2Box probably hit what to look at.

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote