Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #21
Track rat

Garage
Honda vtec motors are pretty spray and boost friendly. Low compression and stout internals. The 986 is a grenade with the pin pulled. Very different animals.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #22

Yeah, I'm bumping an old thread.

This is the conundrum I always see with "boxster talk." There are always large numbers of people attesting that the 986 boxster-s is intentionally detuned to a degree, yet when someone inquires about gains through bolt-ons and dyno tuning... they are quickly shut down.

And once again, with nitrous, I've been thinking about it lately, though really am quite content at just having 99.9% of my fun flinging the car through corners.

With that said, would a conservative and progressive shot really be that bad? Forced induction is really out of the question and even if you can do it -- it costs a lot of money.

Nitrous can be controlled to come on like light boost and gradually add more power through the entire RPM range. (throttle and window switches along with a progressive controller)

I have no plans on doing it at this point, but would is this engine (3.2) really incapable of reliably holding a shot that progresses up to somewhere in the 50-75hp range?

that could add another dimension of fun to the car when you just have that urge to rip through a couple gears, and you wouldn't be just dumping a giant load onto the engine all at once... If the engine can handle a SC kit that adds anywhere in that range, there's no reason a progressive shot should be any more stressful. Plus we're not talking about using a **************** ton of giggle gas here, so you could use a fairly discreet system and not be filling it up all the time.. I don't care about drag racing -- I just sometimes miss having a bit more power.

Has anyone actually done it?
How much has this engine handled reliably with any other form of forced induction?
hazardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Honda vtec motors are pretty spray and boost friendly. Low compression and stout internals. The 986 is a grenade with the pin pulled. Very different animals.
11:1 is low? I've put ~450whp through those engines on stock internals and have absolutely flogged the crap out of them for endless miles. I understand it's a different engine altogether, but low compression just isn't true for most turbo hondas.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds like you've read the opinions. I wouldn't expect those to change - you're likely to get more of the same here.

And no, most people have not tried this because they don't want to take the risk of sacrificing an engine for an occasional 50-75 hp.

Someone would have to step up and give it try. Until then, we're all guessing...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #25

Is there a ring land issue with the 3.2? With the successful turbo builds I've seen here and there on this forum I see no reason a progressive shot would be very detrimental. It's easier in the engine than a blower... you don't need the crankshaft to spin a bottle, but you need it to spin a blower

My other real questions here

The fuel system, is there enough injector and pump to hit it dry, or would a wet kit or injectors/pump/tuning necessary? If the fuel system has some wiggle room I wouldn't be too scared of a dry hit, if it doesn't , I absolutely wouldn't even consider risking it.

Hoping someone who has dealt with forced induction and stock fuel systems can chime in on the logistics with this subject.

I love the car the way it is, don't get me wrong. I still want a c5 or c6 project car to have forced induction fun with someday, but I bought the boxster because the power was not nearly enough to make the vette even hold a candle to the boxster imo. It puts a smile on my face every day and has made me a better driver in the process. I spent most of my life saying "meh" to Porsche in general, but now wonder what I could possibly rather have than another Porsche as a daily.

I've had plenty of way faster cars. I wouldn't mind giving this one a VERY mild kick once in a while. Engine weakness points and fuel systems are where I am having trouble finding reasons why it wouldn't work reliably, especially with the successful forced induction cars that have popped up. I haven't seen a thread where someone boosted a boxster and blew it up.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #26

If you can find out the "smallest" wall thickness of the cylinders and its material composition, I can quickly run a sim and let you know what sort of psi you'll be able to run 'safely' within, both during detonation and compression for that 986.

Those 986 pistons and conn rods also (material), especially at the pin. Whether it is a conventional alloy, cast or not. That pin pivot point is where the force will be greater so the material of the pin is equally important. Shall it fail, the piston pivot point will let go before the pivot on the crank.

I bet the rings are heat treated 8620 conventional alloy already so this should already be good enough (just guessing here).

Start with that mate, obviously there are other pressure points that needs consideration but if the above sim fails there is no point carrying further analysis.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #27

edit: Interestingly enough and confirmed; I've just found out that my boxster is all made of cheap cast (pistons, rods, all of it, literally). Could be wrong also of course (source: the Internet!). Frustrating... could have been fun to look into. There are tons of nos kit avail here and quite popular with the Japanese cars. In fact I don't know of anyone owning a Japanese car (at the track anyway) who doesn't have nos. They all seem to be running just fine

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-29-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote