Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 357
Nitrous Oxide systems for our Boxsters

Given the advances in NOS with gradual,measurable power and improved reliability over the years, I wonder if anyone has had any successful experience with this power addition. Maybe Jack Raby and other engine builders can weigh in.
__________________
2000 Boxster S. Factory hardtop. 6 speed. Arctic Silver. Boxster Red leather. IMS/RMS.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
I'm not poo-pooing the idea, but there are limitations regarding applications. I believe every autocross sanctioning organization prohibits nitrous. For DEs or track days you might sneak by tech, but a full bottle might only give you a half-dozen or so Cinderella shots down the straight before your carriage turned back into a pumpkin. Might be able to surprise a few folks at the drag strip. It would be stunning to see a 10 second 986 kicking some mustang/challenger/camaro butt.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
How much HP from Nitro could the engine handle?
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Top_Ramen's Avatar
spray and pray!! If I can still find my old dry kit from my old car, maybe i'll give it a try summer.
__________________
'99 Porsche Boxster 986 - weekend car
'04 BMW 645ci e63 - daily driver
'98 BMW 528i e39 - dog carrier

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
Only Mustangs I can't take (not modded) are the new Coyote motor cars, can't take SS Camaros either. Tried to get a Challenger to play, but he wouldn't go for it. The Boxster isn't a slouch, but a nice little burst would be cool to have.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Top_Ramen's Avatar
Yup. I've had my fair share of straightline toys(ls1 fbody, lt1 fbody, notchback fox body, a couple Hondas even, and stretched/nitrous motorcycle), but the Boxster is by far the most fun toy I've ever had. Even though I don't consider it by any means fast. .......Maybe a turbo LSx powered 986 will change my mind oneday.
__________________
'99 Porsche Boxster 986 - weekend car
'04 BMW 645ci e63 - daily driver
'98 BMW 528i e39 - dog carrier

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #7
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
I thought NOS was a fad and had not really heard of it since 2006 or so.

Then I met a kid at the high school. V6 2009 accord, fastest car at the school thanks to NOS. He always wants to race, I wish I could say that I say no for safety reasons, rather, I say no because I'm pretty sure Id lose to a Honda.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
still plays with cars...
 
BoxsterSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baden, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,070
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I thought NOS was a fad and had not really heard of it since 2006 or so.

Then I met a kid at the high school. V6 2009 accord, fastest car at the school thanks to NOS. He always wants to race, I wish I could say that I say no for safety reasons, rather, I say no because I'm pretty sure Id lose to a Honda.
You'd just be losing to the NOS bottle, not the car it's attached to...
Like comparing apples to oranges.
Back a few years ago, a kid in an insanely modded '95 Civic wanted to run me in my bone stock '88 Mustang GT.
Whatever.
Of course he would have wiped me up with a full B18C1 driveline swap from an Integra GSR.
And he would have beaten up on an all-original low mile 22 year old Mustang.
Good for him.
I told the punk I'd get back to him after I did a total driveline upgrade on my ride, and then we'd run.
For some reason he wasn't interested then.
__________________
Six speed 2000 Boxster S
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #9
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
The factory pistons are way too weak for Nitrous in these engines. Once upon a time I designed an engine combination that would be optimized with Nitrous, but never had any interest in it from owners.

Done right, nitrous can be very impressive, done wrong its guaranteed to be explosive.

Address all the engine weaknesses before adding spray, or you'll learn the hard way.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
Thanks Jake!
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
inveniam viam aut faciam
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 408
About the only good use for nitrous in my opinion is drag racing. I don't see any Porsche as being a great drag car, and especially not with an M96. I consider Porsches to be more road racing/endurance type cars where balanced performance is key, not a few seconds of all out performance. Putting NO2 on one just sounds like a great way to blow head gaskets, break pistons or crack sleeves, and these cars already do a good job of that without spray. ANY failure on an M96 is expensive and almost always catastrophic.

I would put my money into correcting some of the inherent issues before turning up the wick.
__________________
'03 S, manual, 18" Carrera wheels, PSM, PSE, Litronic, 996 Cluster, +
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
So can we retrofit our M96 engines with cheap Japanese production car parts?

Dunno about you guys in USA and CA but here most of the street ricers owning Japanese cars uses NOS systems. Not all but a lot of them anyway (NOS are cheap kit here now). I can see their bright bleu anodized NOS bottle standing right there next to their hand brake level, center console, showing off and all. Never heard about a Jap car breaking down alone because of NOS boost

Are our German made cars really 'that' cheaper that Jap prod cars? Different compression ratio is what cause the issues maybe, higher rev? what is it?
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Top_Ramen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
So can we retrofit our M96 engines with cheap Japanese production car parts?

Dunno about you guys in USA and CA but here most of the street ricers owning Japanese cars uses NOS systems. Not all but a lot of them anyway (NOS are cheap kit here now). I can see their bright bleu anodized NOS bottle standing right there next to their hand brake level, center console, showing off and all. Never heard about a Jap car breaking down alone because of NOS boost

Are our German made cars really 'that' cheaper that Jap prod cars? Different compression ratio is what cause the issues maybe, higher rev? what is it?
Not too sure about Boxsters, but I was spraying a 75 dry shot on my Integra(with a stock bottom end) for 2 -3 years with never any problem.
__________________
'99 Porsche Boxster 986 - weekend car
'04 BMW 645ci e63 - daily driver
'98 BMW 528i e39 - dog carrier

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post

Address all the engine weaknesses before adding spray, or you'll learn the hard way.
......would have never guessed that you were into poetry!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
......would have never guessed that you were into poetry!
I had a poet in my last M96 Engine Rebuild School.. Sharp guy!

Yes, the Asian cars have much better internals than the M96 in general terms.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,809
Garage
Did someone say Poetry!?

When I blink, dim, then mine eyes don’t see,
A flash, was it my thoughts or eyes that looked on thee?

‘Twas a Boxster for all things highly respected,
Darkly bright, wildly fast, city streets directed;

To the clear day this Boxster shines a different light,
Thou building shadows do not make this Porsche less bright;

How would I say, mine eyes be blessed made,
Glossy black nine-eight-six racing through shadow’s shade;

How could thy shadows form such a beautiful show?
When to sunglass eyes thy shade shines stunningly so!

Behold, tis thee Boxster in the living day,
Through shade thy bright shine doth stay!

A blink, a moment, a Boxster mine eyes no longer see,
Ah, but closed eyes will always see bright when this Porsche memory shows thee to me.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 128
And I thought the Boxster S's came stock with forged pistons... no?
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #18
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
And I thought the Boxster S's came stock with forged pistons... no?
Not all of them, and even if they were, they are still junk in regard to spraying them.

__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
The factory pistons are way too weak for Nitrous in these engines. Once upon a time I designed an engine combination that would be optimized with Nitrous, but never had any interest in it from owners.

Done right, nitrous can be very impressive, done wrong its guaranteed to be explosive.

Address all the engine weaknesses before adding spray, or you'll learn the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Did someone say Poetry!?

When I blink, dim, then mine eyes don’t see,
A flash, was it my thoughts or eyes that looked on thee?

‘Twas a Boxster for all things highly respected,
Darkly bright, wildly fast, city streets directed;

To the clear day this Boxster shines a different light,
Thou building shadows do not make this Porsche less bright;

How would I say, mine eyes be blessed made,
Glossy black nine-eight-six racing through shadow’s shade;

How could thy shadows form such a beautiful show?
When to sunglass eyes thy shade shines stunningly so!

Behold, tis thee Boxster in the living day,
Through shade thy bright shine doth stay!

A blink, a moment, a Boxster mine eyes no longer see,
Ah, but closed eyes will always see bright when this Porsche memory shows thee to me.
My word...they are all coming out of the wood work!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 782
Garage


There was a guy in the UK that added a nitrous system before he sold his car. I asked him about it out of curiosity, and he said it was a wizards of nos system. Don't know how the internals would fare after many sprays. I am pretty sure he was very conservative.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 03-03-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page