Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Laptop for use with Durametric

I just purchased a Durametric system, and need a laptop for my shop to use with it. Any suggestions which laptop to use ? It will be used just for that application, so I'm planning to buy a used one. Any Durametric users have any suggestions?

old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #2

I use my Durametric on a 6 year old Toshiba works just fine. My laptop is running Windows 7 as the operating system, not sure if other Windows systems run as well. Nothing wrong with buying used there are plenty of good machines out there, however I would caution you to make sure whatever you end up with has a good battery. The instructions that came with my Durametric are VERY specific to NOT use a laptop that is plugged into a 110 volt power supply ( charger ) while in use. Not sure why that is but it's in the operating manual. I have the DIY version vs. the Pro model not sure if that's the difference.
If you have a local laptop business that does business turn ins that would be a great way to pick up a good quality laptop as business's tend to turn them in every 2-3 years.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #3

Garage
Go to newegg.com
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:17 AM   #4

Garage
Running well on a Dell Inspiron 1545, with Windows 7 has been stable no problems.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #5

I think what Duramteric are referring to regarding powering the laptop is not to use a DC-AC inverter connected to the cars battery to power the laptop. I've never had a problem using the tool with the laptop connected to a wall outlet via the charging cable.

Mike
ammonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

All you need is a older used laptop that has the following;

• Windows 7
• 1 GB Memory (RAM)
• 1.8 GHz dual-core processor or faster
• Hard drive with 1GB free space
• Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer
• USB 2.0 Port

Look for Win7 and 1.8GHz dual processor (or better) and everything else is likely to be met or exceeded.

For example, here is an old Dell that just meets the min specs for $160. You might want to go with a little more computing power than this, but you get the idea that you don't have to spend $1,000 on a laptop. DELL WINDOWS 7 DUAL CORE

Also, my reading of the instruction manual says not to use a "power inverter" to power the laptop. I didn't see any mention of not using 120VAC wall power.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-28-2014 at 12:26 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I use my Durametric on a 6 year old Toshiba works just fine. My laptop is running Windows 7 as the operating system, not sure if other Windows systems run as well. Nothing wrong with buying used there are plenty of good machines out there, however I would caution you to make sure whatever you end up with has a good battery. The instructions that came with my Durametric are VERY specific to NOT use a laptop that is plugged into a 110 volt power supply ( charger ) while in use. Not sure why that is but it's in the operating manual. I have the DIY version vs. the Pro model not sure if that's the difference.
If you have a local laptop business that does business turn ins that would be a great way to pick up a good quality laptop as business's tend to turn them in every 2-3 years.
This is incorrect; the Durametric instructions state the following:
"Connect laptops to power or change Power Management settings to maximum performance as most laptops run at reduced processing speed when running on battery power."
They further state:
"WARNING: Do NOT use a power inverter to power your computer when using Durametric."
Power inverters are devices that convert 12V DC to 110V AC, and cause all sorts of problems with computers. The battery charger for your laptop is not an inverter.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
This is incorrect; the Durametric instructions state the following:
"Connect laptops to power or change Power Management settings to maximum performance as most laptops run at reduced processing speed when running on battery power."
They further state:
"WARNING: Do NOT use a power inverter to power your computer when using Durametric."
Power inverters are devices that convert 12V DC to 110V AC, and cause all sorts of problems with computers. The battery charger for your laptop is not an inverter.
I stand corrected thanks for the clarification.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #9

I'm an Mac user so I run the Durametric software with Parallels and Windows 7. My suggestion would be to use a robust laptop made for the environment and can take a couple of good whacks. The Panasonic Toughbook series is made for working conditions like yours. I would check your local Craigslist and get a used one. Make sure it's running Windows 7 and the USB ports all work. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
I just purchased a Durametric system, and need a laptop for my shop to use with it. Any suggestions which laptop to use ? It will be used just for that application, so I'm planning to buy a used one. Any Durametric users have any suggestions?

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durametric