986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Laptop for use with Durametric (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55221-laptop-use-durametric.html)

old911doc 12-27-2014 03:58 PM

Laptop for use with Durametric

I just purchased a Durametric system, and need a laptop for my shop to use with it. Any suggestions which laptop to use ? It will be used just for that application, so I'm planning to buy a used one. Any Durametric users have any suggestions?

rfuerst911sc 12-28-2014 01:17 AM

I use my Durametric on a 6 year old Toshiba works just fine. My laptop is running Windows 7 as the operating system, not sure if other Windows systems run as well. Nothing wrong with buying used there are plenty of good machines out there, however I would caution you to make sure whatever you end up with has a good battery. The instructions that came with my Durametric are VERY specific to NOT use a laptop that is plugged into a 110 volt power supply ( charger ) while in use. Not sure why that is but it's in the operating manual. I have the DIY version vs. the Pro model not sure if that's the difference.
If you have a local laptop business that does business turn ins that would be a great way to pick up a good quality laptop as business's tend to turn them in every 2-3 years.

Van914 12-28-2014 01:29 AM

Go to newegg.com

jsceash 12-28-2014 05:17 AM

Running well on a Dell Inspiron 1545, with Windows 7 has been stable no problems.

ammonman 12-28-2014 06:31 AM

I think what Duramteric are referring to regarding powering the laptop is not to use a DC-AC inverter connected to the cars battery to power the laptop. I've never had a problem using the tool with the laptop connected to a wall outlet via the charging cable.

Mike

thstone 12-28-2014 06:32 AM

All you need is a older used laptop that has the following;

• Windows 7
• 1 GB Memory (RAM)
• 1.8 GHz dual-core processor or faster
• Hard drive with 1GB free space
• Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer
• USB 2.0 Port

Look for Win7 and 1.8GHz dual processor (or better) and everything else is likely to be met or exceeded.

For example, here is an old Dell that just meets the min specs for $160. You might want to go with a little more computing power than this, but you get the idea that you don't have to spend $1,000 on a laptop. DELL WINDOWS 7 DUAL CORE

Also, my reading of the instruction manual says not to use a "power inverter" to power the laptop. I didn't see any mention of not using 120VAC wall power.

JFP in PA 12-28-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 429764)
I use my Durametric on a 6 year old Toshiba works just fine. My laptop is running Windows 7 as the operating system, not sure if other Windows systems run as well. Nothing wrong with buying used there are plenty of good machines out there, however I would caution you to make sure whatever you end up with has a good battery. The instructions that came with my Durametric are VERY specific to NOT use a laptop that is plugged into a 110 volt power supply ( charger ) while in use. Not sure why that is but it's in the operating manual. I have the DIY version vs. the Pro model not sure if that's the difference.
If you have a local laptop business that does business turn ins that would be a great way to pick up a good quality laptop as business's tend to turn them in every 2-3 years.

This is incorrect; the Durametric instructions state the following:
"Connect laptops to power or change Power Management settings to maximum performance as most laptops run at reduced processing speed when running on battery power."
They further state:
"WARNING: Do NOT use a power inverter to power your computer when using Durametric."
Power inverters are devices that convert 12V DC to 110V AC, and cause all sorts of problems with computers. The battery charger for your laptop is not an inverter.

rfuerst911sc 12-28-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 429790)
This is incorrect; the Durametric instructions state the following:
"Connect laptops to power or change Power Management settings to maximum performance as most laptops run at reduced processing speed when running on battery power."
They further state:
"WARNING: Do NOT use a power inverter to power your computer when using Durametric."
Power inverters are devices that convert 12V DC to 110V AC, and cause all sorts of problems with computers. The battery charger for your laptop is not an inverter.

I stand corrected thanks for the clarification.

Cebu 12-30-2014 04:22 PM

I'm an Mac user so I run the Durametric software with Parallels and Windows 7. My suggestion would be to use a robust laptop made for the environment and can take a couple of good whacks. The Panasonic Toughbook series is made for working conditions like yours. I would check your local Craigslist and get a used one. Make sure it's running Windows 7 and the USB ports all work. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by old911doc (Post 429739)
I just purchased a Durametric system, and need a laptop for my shop to use with it. Any suggestions which laptop to use ? It will be used just for that application, so I'm planning to buy a used one. Any Durametric users have any suggestions?