Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Door / window problem.

Well... I just picked my car up from the shop after they replaced two of my CV boots.
When I picked it up, the guy at the shop asked me if I had been having trouble with my window. I said NO! And then he showed me...
The window goes down when you pull the door handle, and goes back up even with the door open. Also, the dome light doesn't come on when the door is open. It works fine when the passenger door is open. You can't close the door from the outside, because it hit' she convertible top. The only way to get around it is to close the door with the window open, then close the window by holding the key in the lock position from the outside.
The mechanic said the only way to access the door switch is to dis-assemble the whole door, and window.
I told them I'll deal with it later.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know where the door switch that tells the car the door is ajar is? I can't find a listing for a "door switch" anywhere. All I can find is "window regulator", and "door lock mechanism".

Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks.

cincyjohn986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

After messing with the door further.. I noticed that the dome light comes on, and the window drops if I roll the door mechanism toward the closed position with my finger.
So, am I correct in assuming that the door switch is integrated into the door lock mechanism, and that is what is going to need replaced?
Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

If the window drops when you open the handle, but then pops right back up when you release the handle, and the dome light does not come on when the door is open, the computer thinks the door is closed. That is the microswitch in the door lock assembly. My passenger side does that (thankfully it is the passenger side). My workaround is to lower the window slightly when letting passengers in/out. I bought a "new" door lock assembly from someone parting their car out a while back but just haven't gotten around to installing it. The 101 Projects has a couple of pretty good articles on replacing this part, as does the Bentley. If you search on Renntech.org (I cannot from my work computer) there is a DIY and a set of topics about this issue, and also one or two guys that have replaced the microswitch in the door lock assembly, and it has part numbers. I have ordered the microswitches from this topic but haven't dived down into that door yet. Sometimes disassembling and cleaning and lubricating will revive the microswitch, but if you are going to be in there anyway you may as well replace. Check with user itsnotanova, he is always parting out a lot of boxsters and he may be able to set you up with a replacement assembly.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

Ok, thanks.
I was wondering if the microswitch was integrated into the door lock mechanism, or if it was separate.
I'll put it on the list of things to get to this winter.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #5

I have done this project and it is not bad. You do have to remove the door panel, and work your way up into the inside where the handle is. Be absolutely certain to use the correct tools - for instance the star bit to remove the lock plate on the door jamb. Otherwise you will strip the bolt. Also, be sure to deactivate the battery before removing the air bag (if you have it on the inside of your door panel). The 101 Project book and other tutorials on these forum tell you exactly how to do all of these things.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

Garage
I had been having this issue on my car for the past couple weeks and just got it solved last weekend. For me I could tell it was the switch because if I slightly pushed down on the inside of the door lock mecanism the window would roll down and stay down. But as soon as I closed the door and reopened I would have the same issue where it would roll up as soon as the handle wasn't pulled up. For me spraying the door lock mechanism with some spray lubricant and let it sit for a few minutes completely solved it. I haven't had a single issue with it since.

Dallas_986 is offline   Reply With Quote