Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #21

Hi Ed.
Nice to see you on this side of the Atlantic as well, seeing as we have such an unprofessional Board, I hope Simon/D8EAN hasn’t seen that remark, lol
Sorry you can’t log on to our site however others have, I did just try and cut/paste for you but the photos never came across and the thread is useless without them.
Anyway I’m sure you’ll find a way.
Guvs.

Last edited by Guvs; 10-28-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #22

I got the 55 watts led kit over a year Now and no issues yet , they rated those for 50,0000 hours , this is my set up low beam 55 watts led , hi beam 80 watts h7 23/23 Cree led (not on the states yet ) 23/23 means the led chip is bigger than the 50/50. Chip and on fog lights got a h7 Cree my next project will be the drl"s. as soon as I installed them will post pics
bebeto986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeto986 View Post
I got the 55 watts led kit over a year Now and no issues yet , they rated those for 50,0000 hours , this is my set up low beam 55 watts led , hi beam 80 watts h7 23/23 Cree led (not on the states yet ) 23/23 means the led chip is bigger than the 50/50. Chip and on fog lights got a h7 Cree my next project will be the drl"s. as soon as I installed them will post pics
do you have a source for the LED replacements?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Brutus986 View Post
Same here. No luck getting on that page to read it. I will keep working on it because I want to find out how to get my lights to run LED's
Here's my post from Boxa.net:

I bought some 99p LED bulbs off eBay to try in the rear light clusters of my pre-facelift 986 and, of course, due to the reverse polarity in the rear/brake light sockets they didn't work. The reverse lights, however, work OK. Anyway, here's a quick fix to get the bulbs working which entails reversing the polarity of the bulb rather than the cluster housing:

These are the bulbs I bought:

First, pop the top off the bulb to expose the circuit board

Then de-solder the wires leading to the -ve bayonet housing and the +ve end terminal

You can just about see the + and - signs marking the polarity of the terminals on the board behind the LEDs

Then just re-solder the wires back on the opposite way around In this case the red -ve wire (which is connected to the bayonet housing) is now attached to the +ve terminal on the circuit board and the +ve centre wire (attached to the end terminal of the bayonet) is connected to the -ve terminal. The centre wire appeared to have an in-line resistor.

Push the top back on and stick it in the rear light socket or the brake socket and it should now work.

This one is in the rear light. I have a 50 SMD one in the reverse light which has normal polarity.

May be useful if you've bought some cheap LEDs that didn't work and were thinking of chucking them out

Hope that helps.
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:38 AM   #25
02Brutus986

Talking

Thank you for the pic's. I have a pair from eBay on the way to see if I can re-wire them.
02Brutus986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #26

Please List the LEDs

Hey PHD - Thanks for your help. I noticed you had you tail light set up in the pic.
Could you be kind enough to list the type of LED you selected?
Even the fronts if any upgrades there.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
S
Specwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specwar View Post
Hey PHD - Thanks for your help. I noticed you had you tail light set up in the pic.
Could you be kind enough to list the type of LED you selected?
Even the fronts if any upgrades there.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
S
These are the exact bulbs I used:

Tail lights 2X BA15S P21W 1156 382 9 LED Car Tail Brake Turn Signal Light Bulb DC 12V White | eBay
Reverse lights 2 x 1156 BA15S 382 P21W 50 SMD LED Car Tail Brake Signal Light Lamp Bulb White | eBay
Number plate lights 2X Bright LED License Number Plate Light Porsche Boxster 986 1996 2004 96 04 | eBay

At the moment I only have the number plate lights as LED. I didn't find the reverse lights or tail lights were bright enough tbh. Those reverse light LED bulbs will also work in the front indicators, but they are so white the indicators look faded orange. Nice immediate on/off effect though.
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #28

Thank you for this post! Last night, what I did was took out the base and switched the contacts on those two but that did not work. Tonight, I will try and pry the top part which is the circuit board like what you said and switch the + and -. I'm just a little iffy about popping off the top part because I might break something in there.

By the way, there is what I bought and I'm planning on putting all these in my tail lights.

10 x White 1156 BA15S LED 27 SMD Light Bulbs Tail Backup RV camper 1141 1003 | eBay

staust5 is offline   Reply With Quote