Thread: LED Lights
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have been reading up on this, they are actually about 27 watts per side. They use what looks like a HID Ballast, but in actuality it is called a driver. More checking reveals it is simply a constant voltage and current regulator that will supply a constant +3V to the LED unit that has a tiny fan on the rear to assist the aluminum heatsink built into the lamp assembly. My concern since the total Max current draw is only 2 amps per side is will the rear cooling fan/heatsink fit inside our headlight assembly?

The light output looks to be roughly the equivalent of a 35W HID conversion. THe price is appealing and seems to average from 60 USD to 85USD.

Perhaps someone else will weigh in on this with some actual hands on experience.

PS this looks to be a newer form of Cree called a "COB Cree array" and is much more efficient than what we have been seeing in the past.
Dwight - those kits made in Asia with all the fancy/marketing fan-cooling thing are to be avoided atm. I've read various reports here on the local retrofit forum that the fans prematurely fails (similar IMS bearing design I'm guessing). Also read reports of melting cabling/terminals (fire hazard, dunno). Its just a plastic dumb fan.... last a few weeks under constant high temp and vibration conditions. They DO get hot... the high lumens aftermarket does anyway (hence the fan/over-sized heat shield design idea)

... and they are NOT cheap to start with lol

Perfect for the rusty Ford Ranger 1994 but perhaps not yet ideal for the Porsche car club. Careful with those thing.... is the msg I got from the pros here

CREE is real and I advise anyone to stick to the official product only (Cree, Inc. | LED lighting, LEDs, power converters, RF amplifiers). And I don't think they design car lighting systems yet (could be wrong of course)