986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   LED Lights (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/53626-led-lights.html)

Pdwight 08-10-2014 10:59 AM

LED Lights

Anyone tried a pair of these ?

Do they fit ? , how hot do they get ? , do they give error codes ? , Current draw ??

2014 New 60W 6000LM 6000K CREE LED Headlight Kit Bulbs H11 H8 H7 H4 9005 or 9006 | eBay

Looks like a set of these with 986 projectors would be awesome....but everything is not as great as it looks

Alfieg23 08-10-2014 11:49 AM

There's a disclaimer in the ad that says they are not compatible with German cars.

"The led kit is not suitable for the Germany car, for example: BMW, AUDI, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz ect."

If they were compatible, I agree they would be great. There must be another manufacturer offering ones that are compatible.

Pdwight 08-10-2014 01:40 PM

THere were several like it listed on eBay, many listed Porsche, BMW and Mercedes as compatible . I worry about heat and current draw

BruceH 08-11-2014 04:33 AM

I bought 25w H7's. I would think 60w would generate too much heat.

Pdwight 08-11-2014 06:12 AM

MOre info

I have been reading up on this, they are actually about 27 watts per side. They use what looks like a HID Ballast, but in actuality it is called a driver. More checking reveals it is simply a constant voltage and current regulator that will supply a constant +3V to the LED unit that has a tiny fan on the rear to assist the aluminum heatsink built into the lamp assembly. My concern since the total Max current draw is only 2 amps per side is will the rear cooling fan/heatsink fit inside our headlight assembly?

The light output looks to be roughly the equivalent of a 35W HID conversion. THe price is appealing and seems to average from 60 USD to 85USD.

Perhaps someone else will weigh in on this with some actual hands on experience.

PS this looks to be a newer form of Cree called a "COB Cree array" and is much more efficient than what we have been seeing in the past.

Hogosha 10-19-2014 06:09 AM

I am also very interested to see if anyone installed this type of bulb. I plan on doing the DRL fog light hack with LEDs installed, and thought this would be a great upgrade until the rest of the car is up to snuff.

Guvs 10-19-2014 06:39 AM

Very interesting.
Guvs.

Nine8Six 10-19-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 414077)
I have been reading up on this, they are actually about 27 watts per side. They use what looks like a HID Ballast, but in actuality it is called a driver. More checking reveals it is simply a constant voltage and current regulator that will supply a constant +3V to the LED unit that has a tiny fan on the rear to assist the aluminum heatsink built into the lamp assembly. My concern since the total Max current draw is only 2 amps per side is will the rear cooling fan/heatsink fit inside our headlight assembly?

The light output looks to be roughly the equivalent of a 35W HID conversion. THe price is appealing and seems to average from 60 USD to 85USD.

Perhaps someone else will weigh in on this with some actual hands on experience.

PS this looks to be a newer form of Cree called a "COB Cree array" and is much more efficient than what we have been seeing in the past.

Dwight - those kits made in Asia with all the fancy/marketing fan-cooling thing are to be avoided atm. I've read various reports here on the local retrofit forum that the fans prematurely fails (similar IMS bearing design I'm guessing). Also read reports of melting cabling/terminals (fire hazard, dunno). Its just a plastic dumb fan.... last a few weeks under constant high temp and vibration conditions. They DO get hot... the high lumens aftermarket does anyway (hence the fan/over-sized heat shield design idea)

... and they are NOT cheap to start with lol

Perfect for the rusty Ford Ranger 1994 but perhaps not yet ideal for the Porsche car club. Careful with those thing.... is the msg I got from the pros here

CREE is real and I advise anyone to stick to the official product only (Cree, Inc. | LED lighting, LEDs, power converters, RF amplifiers). And I don't think they design car lighting systems yet (could be wrong of course)

Nine8Six 10-19-2014 10:41 AM

Cheap LED rocks.... safe, efficient, and 99% of the time they will fit ;) For the fogs anyway... Max 20~25 watts and you should be fine

Pdwight 10-19-2014 11:33 AM

Fogs

Fogs are what I was thinking about, I have the Main Headlight problem almost solved. I would love to have one of these LED replacement H Bulbs to put on my bench and measure current draw on start up and sustained , also heat startup and sustained...then measure the Lumen output with my instruments after running for a few days constant on. Did I mention I worked almost my entire life in the Photo Industry with my speciality being Dichroic Lamphouses that cost as much as a new Boxster. But I digress those days are long gone, Photo is dead and has gone the way of the Buggy Whip. Now I am a lowly Biomed person

Chuck W. 10-19-2014 12:19 PM

I believe that the claim by sellers that their lights will not work in German cars applies to the newer cars that will detect faults with any electronic draw besides the intended bulb.

After going through a lot of different bulbs for my fog lights I came across these on eBay. IMHO, they look great. No heat issues.

2 Pcs H7 SMD5050 12 LED Car Front Fog Light Bulb White CREE Q5 Lamp 12V 30V S0BZ | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg1WDU4NQ...cTg~~60_12.JPG

JayG 10-19-2014 05:22 PM

I checked with the seller and they wont work on CANBUS systems. I believe they would be fine with the 986
2014 New 60W 6000LM 6000K CREE LED Headlight Kit Bulbs H11 H8 H7 H4 9005 or 9006 | eBay

I used these LEDs for my fog lights when I converted them to DRLs and they work fine
2X White Bulbs H7 Car Genuine CREE XB D LED Fog Light Lamps Headlight | eBay

steved0x 10-20-2014 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 422181)
I believe that the claim by sellers that their lights will not work in German cars applies to the newer cars that will detect faults with any electronic draw besides the intended bulb.

After going through a lot of different bulbs for my fog lights I came across these on eBay. IMHO, they look great. No heat issues.

2 Pcs H7 SMD5050 12 LED Car Front Fog Light Bulb White CREE Q5 Lamp 12V 30V S0BZ | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg1WDU4NQ...cTg~~60_12.JPG

I just bought a set of these; when they get here is a few weeks I will report back :) I am wanting to enable the Fog light DRL hack and once I get these I will do it.

Steve

Chuck W. 10-20-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 422232)
I just bought a set of these; when they get here is a few weeks

It took them eight days to get to me from China. With any luck you'll set them in the same time frame.

02Brutus986 10-27-2014 02:44 AM

From what I have read about Cree is, that they are a good Co. With quality products. Last week I tried to change out my break & tail lights with LED bulbs from Pilot Co. And could not get them to come on. Anybody out here know why the LED bulbs would not come on? Pilot claimed that you will not get any check eng light, which was true, but could not get their lights on either.

Guvs 10-27-2014 03:07 AM

Hope this link works.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62675

It tells you why the LED rear light bulbs don’t work, and a fix for it, on our UK models anyway, should be the same for you over the pond.
Guvs.

Pdwight 10-27-2014 03:15 AM

The link goes nowhere ??

edc 10-27-2014 03:40 AM

Link works fine for me. You might need to be a registered user and logged in.

Pdwight 10-27-2014 03:57 AM

I have tried to register on that board several times with no luck. I even emailed the admin about never getting the verification link with no luck or return email.....Im glad our board here is run much more professionally.

Dwight

02Brutus986 10-28-2014 09:09 AM

Same here. No luck getting on that page to read it. I will keep working on it because I want to find out how to get my lights to run LED's