Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #101
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I am in Lake City, about an hour west of Jacksonville and about 45 minutes north of Gainesville. Lake City is where i-10 and i-75 meet although I am a little south east of that intersection.

Where are you? Close by?
I am not, sir.
I am down in Port Saint Lucie.
About 1-1/2 hours south of Orlando and 45 minutes north of West Palm Beach.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
I am not, sir.
I am down in Port Saint Lucie.
About 1-1/2 hours south of Orlando and 45 minutes north of West Palm Beach.
FL is a tall state
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #103

Quote:
Actually I was just checking my Amazon and *both* the 986 and 987 came in stock and got shipped... my plan was to cancel one after the other one shipped.. They are both supposed to be here by tomorrow, so I can take some pictures post and see if we can figure out the differences...

Steve
They got here last night, I don't have a picture but I took then out of the box and lined them up. The end with the rubber bushing part looks the same on both, and the other end looks the same as well. The only differences seem to be:
  • The 987 part has a different bend around the fork looking end.
  • The distance between the bolts holes do not appear to line up exactly (but I want to test once I have some bolts or something that fit the holes exactly) - the 987 holes appear to be maybe 1mm further (a very tiny amount) apart than the 986 part. I will be able to tell once I get a couple of bolts that are the right size to fill the holes, it may be just that my eyeball lining up didn't match. Edit: they do line up exactly, pics coming tomorrow.

They both look very nice and shiny, Made in Germany with 986/987 part numbers and a small part where a part of some cast logo was removed.

I am going to Fastenal today to get some bolts and will try to take some pics tonight.

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 12-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #104
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I replaced my trailing arms last night and as I was finishing, noticed that my rear sway bar bushings were worn enough to rattle.

Just a quick tip to people that are replacing the control arm/trailing arm:
While you are at it go ahead and get a pair of fresh sway bar bushings. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and also make rear suspension noise over tar strips.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #105
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I replaced my trailing arms last night and as I was finishing, noticed that my rear sway bar bushings were worn enough to rattle.

Just a quick tip to people that are replacing the control arm/trailing arm:
While you are at it go ahead and get a pair of fresh sway bar bushings. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and also make rear suspension noise over tar strips.
Sounds like good advice.
Thanks!!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #106

Ok here are some pictures of the two different track arms to try and tell the differences.

Beside the differences in the shape of the arm, maybe the monoball/bushing end of the arm has stronger internals? By hand I can't get either of the bushing ends to flex so I can't tell that way.

Here are some photos showing the differences.

From this side they have the same outline, but the 987 part has more "ridges" for lack of a better word, where the 986 part is flatter in the middle with no raised parts (and I don't have a photo of the other side so I don't know if it is the same, I will check tonight)

Here are two additional shots showing the end detail. The holes line up exactly, I got some M14 bolts to test this out and you can see them in these two photos.

This is a detail of the part numbers with some part (the triangle?) ground off.

This is a top down shot, with the 987 part on top, you can see how the curve of the arm is different, the bottom arm (986) sticks out toward the top of the picture.

This shot is with the arms turned over so the 986 arm is on top, showing the curve from the other side.

These next two show the arms side by side, the arm with the "V" sharpie looking mark is the 987 arm.

Maybe over Christmas break I will get a chance to install these and I might have more feedback then.

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 12-17-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #107

Sooooo... the 987 part may change the rake/ride height?...

Thanks for the photos.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Sooooo... the 987 part may change the rake/ride height?...

Thanks for the photos.
I don't think so, mounting hole to mounting hole they are exactly the same length. I think it would take different springs to adjust the ride height. I don't know too much about those things though...
Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #109
On the slippery slope

Garage
the thing that was ground off is a triangle with a P in it that denotes it is a genuine Porsche part. The one you have was sold aftermarket. Same part just not from a Porsche dealer. Part or all or the Porsche part number may be removed as well.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #110

Interesting comparison pics. I wonder if there is a weight difference. It looks like the 987 arm might decrease the maximum allowable back-spacing for the rear wheel.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #111

Hoping Brad will explain why he much prefers the 987 part for the 986.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #112

Quote:
Maybe over Christmas break I will get a chance to install these and I might have more feedback then.

Steve
Did you go with the 987 part? Fit fine? Prolly hard to make a distinction between a worn factory part and a new upgraded one (to say one is better than the other if both were new).
Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #113

I actually am 3/4 of the way through installing the passenger side one tonight. I am using the 987 part because I heard it was better and also I feel the 986 part will be easier to resell if I don't send it back to Amazon. However unless it has a better monoball end (and the ends look exactly the same) I can't see any practical differences outside of the slight shape differences.

The old one was shot, I could easily move the end around with my hands, where I can't make the new one budge at all.

I had to stop for the night but will finish tomorrow and will post some pics and stuff as soon as I can.

Steve
Old 01-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Interesting comparison pics. I wonder if there is a weight difference. It looks like the 987 arm might decrease the maximum allowable back-spacing for the rear wheel.
Interesting, I will take a look and see if I can tell a difference once I have one side new (987) and one side old (986)

Now I want to run down there and see right away

Edit: I looked and I don't think so, if there is a change in clearance it is only 1 mm or so (but then I guess this could be the critical mm when fitting some wheels...)

Last edited by steved0x; 01-07-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 AM   #115

Garage
I read somewhere there was a minor difference in suspension between the 96-97 986 and later cars. the change allowed for larger rims and tires. Perhaps the difference in shape allows for this?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #116

Quote:
I actually am 3/4 of the way through installing the passenger side one tonight. I am using the 987 part because I heard it was better and also I feel the 986 part will be easier to resell if I don't send it back to Amazon. However unless it has a better monoball end (and the ends look exactly the same) I can't see any practical differences outside of the slight shape differences.

The old one was shot, I could easily move the end around with my hands, where I can't make the new one budge at all.

I had to stop for the night but will finish tomorrow and will post some pics and stuff as soon as I can.

Steve
I'm done with the passenger side and posted a DIY with pictures here:

Rear trailing arms replacement guide DIY
Old 11-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #117
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Here is where your problem is:

Replace this arm and problem solved.

My experience when my Boxster was up and off the ground and inspecting all the joints, I could not make this arm rattle or make any loose noise when grabbing and twisting it.

True dat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote