Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

New owner with faults : Alarm always on, no central locking, no hood or bonnet open

Hello All, I have been searching loooong and hard for help on this and no one else seems to have the combination of faults I do. I will hopefully get all the info and someone can tell me what I am doing wrong:

Here are my faults:

My remote does not work, I have replaced the battery and the lights all flash fine, but nothing from the car. I have tried battery in upside down, locking the drivers door and pressing button 1 at the same time, key in ignition and out and within 6 seconds pressing button one and nothing.

I have checked the drain holes and they are clear, I have checked my carpet in my US Boxster on both the passenger and driver side and they are bone dry. The Alarm unit is also bone dry.

As soon as I open the car using the driver lock in the door manually and open the door the alarm goes off. No matter what I do it will not shut off. Using the remote or key doesn't work. I managed to disconnect the alarm horn but the car is still flashing all the time. I thought it was the front bonnet that was open at the time causing the fault so stupidly I shut it. now I can't get to the battery because the buttons for the front and rear bonnet and hood dont work either.

the interior central lock switch on the dash does nothing either.

The key will turn the ignition on fine but the car immobilizer is clearly still active and wont allow me to crank....

I just am at a complete loss on this. Its like the alarm system is fully on and wont shut off even with the correct key turning in the door lock.

Any help at all would be great. I will use the emergency pull chord to get at the battery tonight but this is not the best start to my first German car and first Porsche.

Thanks

Charlie.

Scotia Tint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The radio can also set off the alarm. It has a contact which provides a ground when the radio is removed. It can also set it off if the wire is disconnected and it touches metal.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Based on your location.. I'm betting the alarm module is growing green moss inside of it

Pull the drivers seat OUT, it's under the seat. Use a standard short 3/8 drive 3/8 socket (dont buy the torx for this job)

Its a black box held down by one phillips looking twist lock. Without unplugging the black box? pop the cover off of it. It will require a small pocket screw driver to pop the tabs up. The circuit board just sits in the black plastic case. Pull it out of the case (still plugged into the harness) Check it for corrosion!! I use WD40 and an old toothbrush to clean the circuit boards.. or contact cleaner

I see this.. alot.. but only in race cars that have not moved the IMMOB to a less water collecting area.. and I see it in cars from Northern states where it rains a lot...

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote